Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: The Frigate Bias  (Read 27505 times)

Maethendias

• Commander
  • Esteemed Warlord
    • View Profile
Re: The Frigate Bias
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2021, 02:12:34 PM »

building in SO is fine... its not an "all around boost" mod, even the op cost aside the bonkers drawbacks of only 1/3rd of original PPT still means if you want to pilot an SO flagship, you better have a 2nd one to switch in.

You finish fights way faster when you roll over everything. There are also tons of skills to boost PPT now alongside hardened subsytems. Frigates can get even more on top of that. My SO aurora has been lasting through 200-250k bounties without issue. In the past, if you took SO, that basically meant you would have no other hullmods beyond maybe hardened subsystems. Now you can fit SO + 4-5 hullmods with top tier weapons and full vents. I actually took some vents off my aurora
Spoiler
[close]
because my flux wasn't going up enough to take advantage of the energy weapon skill that boosts damage on high flux :P. I also haven't even put on a third free hullmod yet... I think it's too much.

instead of the ion suppressor use another heavy blaster, or, well, anything else

the ion suppressor really underperforms because of its "magazine" based ammo

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2021, 02:16:55 PM »

Heavy blaster would put me way over flux budget. Ion pulser is great upfront burst to get shields down and knock enemy weapons offline. Burst damage is very valuable, and Ion damage is also very valuable. My build now uses a bunch of tesseract weapons so it's kinda irrelevant now though.

Maethendias

• Commander
  • Esteemed Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2021, 02:18:31 PM »

Heavy blaster would put me way over flux budget. Ion pulser is great upfront burst to get shields down and knock enemy weapons offline. Burst damage is very valuable, and Ion damage is also very valuable. My build now uses a bunch of tesseract weapons so it's kinda irrelevant now though.

could use phase lances too, or a big pulse laser and swap 2 of the smaller ones for ion cannons

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2021, 02:22:12 PM »

My build now uses a bunch of tesseract weapons so it's kinda irrelevant now though.
Could you tell which ones? I've recently got a bunch and was trying to refit my Aurora, but I pretty much came to the conclusion that ion pulsers are straight up better lol.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2021, 02:40:09 PM »

Spoiler
I think 3 mini pulsers in the small turrets, one cryo flamer, and one cryo blaster in the two medium turrets, one ion pulser in the hardpoint (can't fit any of the new weapons because it is hybrid or I would probably consider a second cryoflamer). And then 3 or 4 anti matter blasters in the hardpoints. The cryo blaster is insane hull dps and once the am blasters crack the armor, ships die incredibly quickly.
[close]

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2021, 03:34:40 PM »

could use phase lances too, or a big pulse laser and swap 2 of the smaller ones for ion cannons
IR pulse lasers are better against shields than any medium weapon (ignoring range because SO). New tesseract weapons are even better. Heavy blaster is miles better than phase lance for armor/hull damage if I wanted more of that, but I don't. I've spent lots of time optimizing my builds, and I'm pretty happy with my loadouts. A big burst of reasonably efficient shield damage with some ion utility is exactly what I want, which is why it's on my ship. Nothing is alive long enough for sustained DPS to matter:
Spoiler
[close]

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2021, 08:15:04 PM »

Sim Conquest is a rough representation of a remnant cruiser without officer or a remnant destroyer with it.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2021, 08:55:08 PM »

I can assure you it does the same thing to alpha core remnant cruisers. I've farmed remnants pretty extensively, and while the destroyers pack a punch, they go down pretty easily. Radiants are the only thing I'm seriously scared of while flying it, but if my fleet gets them high on flux, I can usually dash in and finish the job, or at least do a bunch of damage and get out, and I can easily kite them.

Flet

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2021, 02:14:10 AM »

I kind of like the idea.
In reality big ships are threatened by little ships (the entire destroyer class was invented to protect battleships from annoying little torpedo boats which could very cost effectively obliterate them). The purpose of big ships is for things that can not be on little ships.

In practice in this game i think its good how range scales with the range hull mods. Maybe this should be a built in feature, where cruisers and capital ships just get an innate range bonus over frigates and destroyers.

Anyway encouraging more mixed fleets is good, but going from pure cap spam to pure frigate spam would not be good. I think the ideal of having about as much dp in frigates and destroyers as you do in capitals and cruisers however might be a good target to balance around.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2021, 02:30:13 AM »

I can assure you it does the same thing to alpha core remnant cruisers. I've farmed remnants pretty extensively, and while the destroyers pack a punch, they go down pretty easily. Radiants are the only thing I'm seriously scared of while flying it, but if my fleet gets them high on flux, I can usually dash in and finish the job, or at least do a bunch of damage and get out, and I can easily kite them.

This is my point. Aurora is 30 dp. Since new version tend to force you to fight underdeployed, you are supposed to be capable to punch above your weight. 40 dp for the target is a good measure. But the target itself doesn't represent the remnant 40 dp ship. And that would be Radiant. While Fulgent is 11 dp only.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2021, 02:45:24 AM »

This is my point. Aurora is 30 dp. Since new version tend to force you to fight underdeployed, you are supposed to be capable to punch above your weight. 40 dp for the target is a good measure. But the target itself doesn't represent the remnant 40 dp ship. And that would be Radiant. While Fulgent is 11 dp only.

Fulgent also has a tie with the Scintilla for the worst Remnant ship you can get for yourself. It's got the same mobility and ship system as the Sunder but has terrible flux dissipation, too many weapon slots to properly fill and too little OP to do anything with them. The Sunder beats it on every metric apart from shield stats and hull integrity  :'(

About the Aurora, I love it as an AI-driven ship. I also Overriride it, Integrate SO, Hardened Shields, Hardened Susbsystems and give it
-Front shields+Accellerated shields
-4x IR Pulse lasers
-1x Ion beam in the front medium hardpoint
-2x heavy blasters
-6 PD lasers, the back medium slot is empty
I end up the setup by getting enough flux dissipation thru vents to fire all weapons and keep the shield up a the same time, then dump it all into capacitors

A 2x Sabot MRM, 2x Blaster, 4x Ion Cannon version also works amazingly well if you integrate SO, hardened Shields, Expanded missile racks and not give it accellerated shields (cause it gets short on OP), It probably works even better than the first interation but I sadly did not go up the technlogy tree twice in the campaign when I ran my Aurora Fleet.
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2021, 03:03:58 AM »

The strongest point of Fulgent is a shield with basic efficiency of 0.6. Under player it can be boosted to less than 0.26 against energy weapons. That's over 50K effective max flux capacity. Sim Conquest has less than 20K.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2021, 03:32:46 AM »

Fulgent is a missile boat. 90 sabots/harpoons for 11 dp is a decent deal, and it doesn't become useless when it runs out because of the HEF medium.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2021, 05:16:33 AM »

Fulgent is a missile boat. 90 sabots/harpoons for 11 dp is a decent deal, and it doesn't become useless when it runs out because of the HEF medium.

That's one of my main gripes with the Fulgent really, the ship ability is has makes no sense. Imagine how much better the ship as a whole would be with Missile Autoforge or Fast Missile Racks as a skill, maybe even expanded missile racks as a built in Hullmod, effectively making it a high tech counterpart of the Gryphon.
I wouldn't mind it being boosted up to 13-15 Deployments Points as a result if that meant making it useful in a players hands.

The strongest point of Fulgent is a shield with basic efficiency of 0.6. Under player it can be boosted to less than 0.26 against energy weapons. That's over 50K effective max flux capacity. Sim Conquest has less than 20K.

Isn't having a 0.6 efficiency shield a strong point across all remnants or does the Fulgent actually have a better shield than the rest? Wait let me check the stats of the two Brilliants I got in my fleet real quick...

The Brilliant for one has the same 0.6 damage ratio which I've lowered to 0.37 with both Hardened Shields and Shied Modulation from the Beta Core at the helm of it. I can guess the Fulgent has just more flux capacity per deployment point compared to that weaponized gaming mouse of a Cruiser, but the flux dissipation on the Destroyer is horrible, meaning it's going to be a much worse long term tank than the brilliant if both cores on their respective droneships have Shield Modulation since the skill uses 15% of flux dissipation as a base for hard flux dissipation.

Side note: we're getting way off the OP's topic by the way. I may just create a thread under suggestions to talk about the remnant ships as a whole...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 05:18:30 AM by Arcagnello »
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2021, 06:55:14 AM »

intrinsic_parity was testing sim Conquest with its 1.4 eff shield. Every remnant ship has 0.6 base shields. You can boost it further with skills and mods. Resulting in much higher efficiency especially against energy weapons (coz Solar Shielding now works on shields too). Since you have mentioned Fulgent usage by the player I've provided data for a maxed out variant of it. Also you are correct at assuming that Fulgent has better flux stats per DP.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15