Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I began Starsector with 0.95 and...  (Read 4553 times)

Mortrag

• Commander
    • View Profile
I began Starsector with 0.95 and...
« on: March 27, 2021, 01:02:33 PM »

Heyhey People,

so this thread is intended for new players at 0.95 to share their experience. I'll start with mine, but feel free to share yours.
(But be aware, you may encounter spoilers of events which you haven't seen yet in the game.)

My first experience:

- start the basic tutorial
- accidently bug the basic tutorial
- still finish it and the second tutorial
- get wrecked in the third tutorial
= Lesson learned: Put your shields up when you are under fire, goddammit!

Campaign 0.5:
- start the campaing with the tutorial
- get overwhelmed by the number of ships and weapons you have to salvage in the tutorial to defeat the pirates at the gate
- so after finishing the campaign-tutorial:

Campaign 1.0:
- start the campaign with skipping the tutorial and only two ships
- accept two survey contracts in the outer rim
- jump into the hyperspace
- instantly ambushed by 2 pirate-ships and get completly wrecked

Campaign 1.5:
- reload the start-save of the last campaign
- accept the contracts, jump into the hyperspace and immediatly turn the transponder off
- reach the first survey system
- beat two small groups of defence drones in close fights
- jump out into the hyperspace and back into the system for no good reason until you find the first survey location
- travel even further to the border of the map for the second contract
- fulfill it and already have a enough fuel scavenged for the trip back to the Hegemony
- travel back, refit and refill the fuel and the supplies
- get a mission to spy at a base
- follow the teachings of Sseth
- mission completed with no problem
- take another survey in the outer rim
- reach the target system and complete the contract
- need more fuel for the way back
- while exploring a thing in the system, person tells me, there is a whole ship
- WoW, a big tanker with 600 fuel capacity, so I just need to get it back for repairs and with my savings, I won't have any fuel problems for future surveys
- just need to get it back
- just...
- immediately after claiming the tanker, a huge fleet arrives
- make 180-turn and back to the jump point
- still need fuel for the way back
- set course for the next system but get thrown off by a storm
- reach another system
- Warning!, hostile fleet near the entrace, high thread for your ships
- travel to next system
- Warning!, hostile fleet near the entrace, high thread for your ships
- travel to the third
- Warning!, hostile fleet, high thread
- realize there is not enough fuel left to reach the next one, so you need to go in
- enter and get immediately attacked by two [REDACTED] ships
- spend a story point to get away without battle
- BUT the tanker is destroyed because of no cr left
- look at the system's map and realize, that there is nothing in this system and the only gate is where the [REDACTED] are waiting
The End

So my summary:
Starting with a bugged tutorial isn't optimal, but after playing it a second time, I guess it was just a very unlucky coincidence there (also already reported it).
The combat is something where you really need to take your time for practice, to get the hang of it. But that's something I'm willing to do.
The campaing-tutorial seems to do a good job in explaining the important parts. I just had my problem with getting very quick from 2 to 7, 8 ships without experience about weapons and ships in this game. So I just went with some autofitting-setups, but wasn't really satisfied. For future campaigns, I just skip the whole thing and probably increase my fleet one ship at a time.
The writing seems really well done and I'm glad I waited for 0.95, because that's a real highlight of my first hours.
Guess in my next campaing I'll need to be a bit more cautious with the survey mission, but I'm definitly eager to go deeper in this interesting part of space.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: I began Starsector with 0.95 and...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 01:05:20 PM »

Welcome aboard! Yeah things are quite rough your first couple of playthroughs because of how many dangerous mechanics there are, and there are going to be a good number of bugs for the next few weeks. But as you can see, they are being cleaned up as we speak.

Ishmael

• Ensign
  • I have no strings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 09:10:53 PM »

Pro tip, business wins wars. Pirates giving you problems? Get chummy with the Luddic Path and use your newfound friendship as a shield. Don't want to get blasted when you try and overthrow a system? Destroy their comms in the system, park next to the warp point into the system and blitz anyone who dares try to leave or come in, and once they're softened and weak come into the system with all the stuff you stole and act like their savior and sell the goods to them at a ridiculously elevated price. Weapons are not always the best option, money and friendship is your bulwark.

Tchey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Jeux1d100
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 08:24:46 AM »

Hi !

It seems if i don’t do tutorial, i start with less points to buy skills, and less story points.

Doing tuto, something like 5/5 skill/story points.
Skipping tutorial, i see myself with 1/0 point ?

Is that correct ?

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 08:37:17 AM »

Hi ! It seems if i don’t do tutorial, i start with less points to buy skills, and less story points. Doing tuto, something like 5/5 skill/story points. Skipping tutorial, i see myself with 1/0 point ? Is that correct ?
Yes. It was the same in the previous version as well.

Mortrag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 04:08:17 PM »

Well, now I'm ***, because I accidently deleted my current run. But how can you differe them, when there is only a small and yellow (not red or organge, which you could easily read) text, which shows the date?
But a change there is somethng that belongs in the "suggestions" part?

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 04:35:58 PM »

Hi !

It seems if i don’t do tutorial, i start with less points to buy skills, and less story points.

Doing tuto, something like 5/5 skill/story points.
Skipping tutorial, i see myself with 1/0 point ?

Is that correct ?

You get experience while doing the tutorial. Skipping the tutorial means you don't get into some easy fights and don't get some quick ships from the ship graveyard. It's not a permanent loss.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 02:35:38 AM »

Although to be fair, even if you don't do the tutorial you can still go to that system and get all the 'free' ships and at least 1 easy fight.

Jonlissla

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 03:25:47 AM »

Campaign 0.5:
- get overwhelmed by the number of ships and weapons you have to salvage in the tutorial to defeat the pirates at the gate

Been playing since 2012 and yesterday was the first time I tried the tutorial, and I have to admit it was pretty... mediocre. I pretended to be new to the game and it didn't really tell me anything about venting, how flux works, differences between soft/hard flux (seriously though, what IS the difference), weapon loadouts, kinetic vs explosive vs fragmentation damage, and so on. Then it wants me to pick up a whole fleet of junk ships that I know nothing about and proceeds to give me a whole bunch of weapons that I also know nothing about. I've been lucky since I've followed the game since the start and have kept up with the changes, but if you start the game today then damn, the learning curve is steep.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2021, 03:38:04 AM »

Campaign 0.5:

Been playing since 2012 and yesterday was the first time I tried the tutorial, and I have to admit it was pretty... mediocre. I pretended to be new to the game and it didn't really tell me anything about venting, how flux works, differences between soft/hard flux (seriously though, what IS the difference), weapon loadouts, kinetic vs explosive vs fragmentation damage, and so on. Then it wants me to pick up a whole fleet of junk ships that I know nothing about and proceeds to give me a whole bunch of weapons that I also know nothing about. I've been lucky since I've followed the game since the start and have kept up with the changes, but if you start the game today then damn, the learning curve is steep.
That's what main menu tutorials explain (there's 3 of them). And yeah the game should probably point them out more clearly if you're booting up the game first time, with an option to ignore it for veterans ofc.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 03:54:08 AM by Grievous69 »
Please don't take me too seriously.

Jonlissla

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2021, 03:51:22 AM »

That's what in menu tutorials explain (there's 3 of them).

Ah, that explains a bit. I always switch that option off from habit, completely forgot to leave it on when I played the tutorial. I might give it another go and see how it is.

Mortrag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2021, 04:03:53 AM »

Ah, that explains a bit. I always switch that option off from habit, completely forgot to leave it on when I played the tutorial. I might give it another go and see how it is.

Grievous is talking about the tutorials accessible from the main menu (between "Continue" and "Missions"), not the Help popups you can switch on or off at the start of the campaign.

So how venting works, how flux works, the difference between hard and soft flux and kinetic vs. explosive vs. fragmentation damage is all well explained there. But with your second assessment: "Then it wants me to pick up a whole fleet of junk ships that I know nothing about and proceeds to give me a whole bunch of weapons that I also know nothing about." you're absolutly right. I also didn't realize in the tutorial, that the new weapons were put in the storage, or how I can access it.

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2021, 09:40:05 AM »

Campaign 0.5:

Its a bit confusing but the game has two tutorials in it. The one from the option in the main menu is the combat tutorial which will go over all the stuff you were talking about such as shields vs. armor vs. hull, differences between soft and hard flux, how to control your ship in combat and etc. This tutorial was around back in 2012/3 when the game consisted only of the combat layer and the various pre-made missions also available via the main menu.

The other tutorial is the one for the campaign layer that is optionally chosen when starting a new campaign and goes over the campaign layer mechanics such as salvaging, sensor and travel abilities and etc.

Edit: Just realized that your post said that you knew everything already, but it makes a good point that when a new player gets offered the tutorial in the main menu, but also a new campaign that they may not realize that they are separate tutorials. Not sure if you get offered to play the combat tutorial on first boot up though.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 09:45:32 AM by SapphireSage »

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2021, 02:48:54 PM »

Grievous is talking about the tutorials accessible from the main menu (between "Continue" and "Missions"), not the Help popups you can switch on or off at the start of the campaign.

So how venting works, how flux works, the difference between hard and soft flux and kinetic vs. explosive vs. fragmentation damage is all well explained there. But with your second assessment: "Then it wants me to pick up a whole fleet of junk ships that I know nothing about and proceeds to give me a whole bunch of weapons that I also know nothing about." you're absolutly right. I also didn't realize in the tutorial, that the new weapons were put in the storage, or how I can access it.
You probably didn’t read the dialogue to miss that.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.