Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Block autofit from underarming  (Read 1503 times)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Block autofit from underarming
« on: March 27, 2021, 08:23:22 AM »

In my experience, using small weapons in medium mounts or medium weapons in large mounts is nearly universally bad, and the exceptions are so rare, I have never seen autofit pull them off on its own. Unless the loadout calls for it, autofit should be blocked from fitting smaller weapons entirely, because it will be a mistake.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
Re: Block autofit from underarming
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 12:20:51 AM »

Was doing some thinking on this, and like yea I agree generally that the autofitter downsizing mounts is a Bad Idea. But just making it *never* do it doesn't feel super great either.

What if instead... If only did so if the variant it is using as a template downsizes that mount to begin with? This feels pretty clean to me and would overall be a Good Idea I think :)

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 08:12:45 AM »

It's probably better to use a downsized weapon than none at all, if you don't have any available as well, or even any of the type. For instance if a loadout calls for a medium kinetic, and you only have medium HE, the ship will probably perform better with small KE than no KE.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 09:43:53 AM »

It's probably better to use a downsized weapon than none at all, if you don't have any available as well, or even any of the type. For instance if a loadout calls for a medium kinetic, and you only have medium HE, the ship will probably perform better with small KE than no KE.
If a faction doesn't have a weapon suitable weapon in its known weapons, then I'd say it's the fault of the dev for not providing them necessary tools.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 09:45:50 AM »

If a faction doesn't have a weapon suitable weapon in its known weapons, then I'd say it's the fault of the dev for not providing them necessary tools.
I was more thinking of the player/player faction using autofit, where it's limited by their available weapons/blueprints.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 12:17:16 PM »

Oh, player autofit can be unchanged. Player can see an issue with autofitted loadout, but NPC fleets cannot and I wish to prevent them from being easier than they should, just because autofitter decided your Paragon doesn't get larges now.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 01:10:42 PM »

To get more technical, I propose that the default fleet inflater be more mindful of the specific slot types and sizes available on the ship it’s selecting available weapons for.  Any time that—during selecting weapon availability (perhaps in makePicks?)—there is a slot type-size pair that exists on the ship, but is totally unrepresented in the list of available weapons, then there should be a significant priority/weight bias towards weapons that match one of those unrepresented pairs.  You’ll probably have to shuffle weapon categories for each ship if you do this, because the order will suddenly matter.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 02:31:46 AM »

Right, and good point. That would be another time it would do so with this idea.

To get more technical, I propose that the default fleet inflater be more mindful of the specific slot types and sizes available on the ship it’s selecting available weapons for.  Any time that—during selecting weapon availability (perhaps in makePicks?)—there is a slot type-size pair that exists on the ship, but is totally unrepresented in the list of available weapons, then there should be a significant priority/weight bias towards weapons that match one of those unrepresented pairs.  You’ll probably have to shuffle weapon categories for each ship if you do this, because the order will suddenly matter.
And Dr says something that makes a *lot* more sense overall for this line of thought heh.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2021, 02:57:30 AM »

So long Radiants stop having phase lances and ion pulsers in larges, I'll be happy.

Yendorc

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2021, 05:15:05 AM »

So long Radiants stop having phase lances and ion pulsers in larges, I'll be happy.

as long as the "three empty slots" derelic won't spawn anymore I'm happy too

Fenrir

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2021, 06:58:29 AM »

To be fair, I would argue that the undersized out fit do help in specific variants. The situation I install undersized weapon most is the back placed apogee medium energy, half of conquest and side of onslaught before they had heavy ballistic integration. To me personally these slots may as well be originally a size smaller and don't make much differences, I would say the less use of undersize configurations are actually an advance in game design as it prove that each slot has its own point of necessary to be fitted and prove intelligent design (just like the recent removal of the "Two less than optimally placed slots" of scarab class). Thought this mechanism may not widely prove to be effective or beneficial, it do give more variabilities to variants.
*cough* try tossing the PK into a black hole *cough*

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2021, 01:39:12 PM »

Noooooo

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2021, 01:55:34 PM »

Oh, also, another reason why larges don't tend to spawn for medium slots is that most of them are of higher tier, meaning if the relevant tiers don't pass the check, there might be zero weapons left that fill the role.