Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: 0.95a Assets in combat not loading  (Read 1354 times)

BETAOPTICS

• Ensign
    • View Profile
0.95a Assets in combat not loading
« on: March 27, 2021, 12:16:29 AM »

Hi there!

Glorious 9.5a has just been released and I am not being sarcastic here, I love it!
Today I encountered a fatal issue however, I am playing all vanilla with no mods installed and in a combat shortly after starting a new game the game did not load the assets in the combat.
At first I though it was a bug with the camera being bonkers but then I noticed the UI elements and the sounds matching what was supposed to happen with audio and in UI when I pressed the button, which meant it was not an issue with the camera but simply no assets loading and showing up properly. In other words all ships were entirely invisible including the UI elements to see where my guns were pointing at and at what range I could fire, let alone seeing where the enemy or my ship was and what their statuses were.

It is a weird bug I hope is getting hotfixed sometime soon. I have no idea how common this bug is but I could imagine this being one of those that needs a quick fix. I have no idea how to replicate this bug, what causes it nor have I checked logs yet to see if that could give us some data. All I can say at the time of writing this post is I was trying to flee from pirates and this is the battle where I encountered the rendering bug.

[attachment deleted by admin]

ProNoob

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: 0.95a Assets in combat not loading
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 03:09:16 AM »

i had the same problem, restarted the game multiple times and nothing helped
restarted the computer and that didnt help...
BUT when i change the memory allocation from 3k to 4k it started working again.
i have the new lazy lib and console commands installed but it doesnt seem to be related as you dont have any mods at all

it was a weird bug as it persisted between different load files and me restarting the game so i think maybe its something to do with the launcher?

BETAOPTICS

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 03:18:47 AM »

From what I can tell ProNoob, this is unrelated to the mods. I have been able to replicate this bug and it seems to me that this is at least sometimes (maybe always but sample size is still small) replicated by trying to flee combat but failing and being forced to engage. Out from 3 of 3 attempts to replicate this I have encountered this bug. But as I convey, I have a low sample size so I have no idea how common of a problem this actually is. Could you try out a few times and see if you see the same pattern?

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 06:26:16 AM »

Also encountered this bug, nothing special about the situation just a normal head-on engagement vs random pathers. Medium size fleet on both sides. I hit deploy all and noticed something was off. I had memory at around 3k (as I had a memory soft warning from the game earlier - surprised me a bit, running no mods + the default value, so I doubled it) and increasing it to 4k like ProNoob wrote fixed the issue here too.

What I noticed in addition to the OP's description of the issue, is that launching a command shuttle to switch to a different ship, the command shuttle was stuck next to my flagship at 0 speed for quite a few seconds before moving normally (seen on the command overlay)

And if I panned the empty view up as far as it would go, I eventually arrived at a white screen. I'd assume out of bounds or something but the sound effects matched normal fleet action while I was in the command overlay. So I don't really have any clue what this is.

I'm running RC9 at normal UI scale, 1920x1080, no antialiasing. LazyLib and Autosave are the only mods enabled.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 08:51:32 AM »

Do you all have the hotfix, that is, the -RC9 release? This is an issue with the "memory management" function in the launcher; either turning it to "default" or "fixed" - or downloading and installing the hotfix, which disables it - should resolve the problem.

BETAOPTICS

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 11:12:42 AM »

Do you all have the hotfix, that is, the -RC9 release? This is an issue with the "memory management" function in the launcher; either turning it to "default" or "fixed" - or downloading and installing the hotfix, which disables it - should resolve the problem.

Got it replicated today after -RC9. I did modify the settings.json file in <Directory>\Starsector\starsector-core\data\config and changing the values of defaultBattleSize and maxBattleSize to 400 and 600 respectively. Since then I did actually uninstall the whole game, re-installed without doing any custom modifications to any other files and since then I have not been able to replicate the issue. I have deliberately done testing today to find out if I can re-replicate the issue after re-installing the newest version but it seems to work fine now.

I will monitor this thread and report here if I have anything new to share. Hopefully we are able to iron this bug out.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 11:14:56 AM »

Ok, good - thank you for confirming, and for keeping an eye on it!

BETAOPTICS

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 11:17:48 AM »

Also encountered this bug, nothing special about the situation just a normal head-on engagement vs random pathers. Medium size fleet on both sides. I hit deploy all and noticed something was off. I had memory at around 3k (as I had a memory soft warning from the game earlier - surprised me a bit, running no mods + the default value, so I doubled it) and increasing it to 4k like ProNoob wrote fixed the issue here too.

What I noticed in addition to the OP's description of the issue, is that launching a command shuttle to switch to a different ship, the command shuttle was stuck next to my flagship at 0 speed for quite a few seconds before moving normally (seen on the command overlay)

And if I panned the empty view up as far as it would go, I eventually arrived at a white screen. I'd assume out of bounds or something but the sound effects matched normal fleet action while I was in the command overlay. So I don't really have any clue what this is.

One of the things I noticed today doing the testing was that when having Lazylib installed (I did not have when I encountered this bug), Lazylib at that time was updated to -RC8 but not -RC9 version. The game does not automatically identify conflicting versions but if you go to the mods selection it will show the conflict there. This may or may not be related, but I think it is good data nonetheless.

I'm running RC9 at normal UI scale, 1920x1080, no antialiasing. LazyLib and Autosave are the only mods enabled.

One thing to note here is that at least in the morning (+2 GMT time) the LazyLib mod was still updated to run on the -RC8 version but not on the -RC9 version. The game does not automatically identify this nor does it notify of possible conflicts of this kind but if you go to the mod selection there it will show there may be possible conflicts. This may or may not be a related issue, although in my own experimentation it was replicated in complete vanilla version. It is worthy data nonetheless.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 11:20:49 AM by BETAOPTICS »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2021, 11:53:48 AM »

Yeah, this is definitely vanilla related. I'm 99.9% sure this is due to the game restarting itself to apply higher memory settings; something goes wrong with that on some systems.