Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Superweapon?  (Read 5484 times)

Vexicide

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Superweapon?
« on: April 02, 2012, 12:11:36 PM »

I was just wondering if there was going to be a type of superweapon involved in this game. It would only go to certain types of ships (destroyer, capital ships, in other big types). Of course, having a superweapon would also have some heavy penalties such as overloading the ship, weapons getting disabled for a while, etc.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
Re: Superweapon?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 12:25:48 PM »

Plasma cannons? They seem to overload you pretty well.  ::)

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 02:14:28 PM »

A Paragon with Tachyon Lances is pretty much the Death Star...

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 02:53:03 PM »

This. Say goodbye to anything smaller than a destroyer, and anything bigger will either be damaged or face a ton of flux buildup.

Dreyven

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 02:56:46 PM »

As an alternative, get the Nomad mod... the doomcannon has 2800 flux per second and costs 75 OP

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 02:58:03 PM »

This. Say goodbye to anything smaller than a destroyer, and anything bigger will either be damaged or face a ton of flux buildup.

.............you're kidding me, right?  The paragon equipped with 2 tachyon lances build mee flux Yo on himself than the target, since the beams do passive damage. No, a onslaught equipped with 5 gauss cannons and torpedoes, and some assaultguns and flaks tend to roflstomp everything.

And if you count modded ships, a paragon with echo pulse cannons from my mod will also roflstomp everything, provided you know how to handle the flux.

OrangeLima

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 03:11:35 PM »

And if you count modded ships, a paragon with echo pulse cannons from my mod will also roflstomp everything, provided you know how to handle the flux.
[/quote]

You put them on alternative fire, and yeah, you can down a onslaught in 7 shots.

Personally, speaking, I found equipping a Echo Pulse cannon onto a sunder class and letting it hunt was one of the best decisions I ever made :P

UrbanGiraffe

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 03:41:45 PM »

I agree with this idea, and think specific utility abilities given to individual ships would be neato. Like, the Apogee using a long range scan with its superior !!SCIENCE!!, the Atlas providing shields for nearby fighters, the Conquest getting a MAC cannon in the middle... stuff like that. Whether or not something like superweapons is planned with the future addition of exploration and artifacts (assuming the stuff on the main website is still giving a reasonable picture of future plans) has yet to be seen, but an enterprising modder could probably get in it already (and it seems some already have, to an extent!). Giving a bit more  unique flavor to some of the ships, rather than just flat stuff like speed, weapon mounts, and OP points, is always a good thing as far as I'm concerned, so long as it's balanced.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 04:15:22 PM »

I remember reading that the Omen will have exactly this - a special ability that knocks out all missiles in a certain area. Weapons would be nice to have as ship specifics as well on the big ones.

Zilerrezko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 04:21:34 PM »

I made a super weapon, but it's ridiculously overpowered.

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 09:56:26 AM »

I could just imagine one of the Admirals of a Cruiser seeing a Frigate get nuked and saying "We can't repel firepower of that magnitude!"

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 11:25:48 AM »

.............you're kidding me, right?  The paragon equipped with 2 tachyon lances build mee flux Yo on himself than the target, since the beams do passive damage. No, a onslaught equipped with 5 gauss cannons and torpedoes, and some assaultguns and flaks tend to roflstomp everything.

I consider the ability to knock out the support and fast strike elements of a fleet from across the map almost instantaneously and from a safe distance to be a superweapon. It also forces your opponents to advance with shields up, slowing them down and ceding map control to you.

By the time your mythical onslaught actually crawls across map to me, it'll either have built up a fair bit of flux or had a good chunk of its front armor and the majority of its fighter/frigate screen burned away, meaning the rest of my fleet could tear it to pieces. We really don't need anything nastier than that.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 02:12:28 PM »

My superweapon is a highly sophisticated railgun delivering a specialized nuke that is designed to take down the largest ships instantly. It consists of a gauss fired shell that is strong enough to survive hull impact, detonating inside the hull. Big woop, 50 teraton (!) nuke just took off half your ship.

That's phase one. We still have five more warheads of equal strength that punch through the internal hull and tear the ship up from the inside.

That can be mounted with 20 rounds ammo onto a ship roughly the size of a Wolf. Buuuut... that's not Starfarer. That's for taking down ships over 2,400KM in size.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 02:49:45 PM »

I am not impressed with the use of author fiat in that superweapon.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Heavy Weapons Pony

• Commander
  • Luna is best Admiral.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 12:08:16 AM »

Like, the Apogee using a long range scan with its superior !!SCIENCE!!

I see what you did there...
I am Admiral Luna and this is my favorite game on the Internets.
"Captain! Pilum Missile's detected at 18 degrees starboard!"
"Thank you ensign, but I'm quite sure our Burst PD array can handle that"
(Chuckles around the bridge)
"It seems to be a volley of thirty-two, sir"
(Dead silence) ~ Zaga