Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: What's your favorite ship?  (Read 55363 times)

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: What's your favorite ship?
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2012, 08:47:53 PM »

I like the Conquest a lot. Probably my favorite capital ship, since it's got that fantastic cannon broadside, and spinal torpedo mounts. In other words, the way (in my opinion), a capital ship ought to be!

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Foxd1e

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2012, 09:47:58 PM »

This game has a lot of great ship designs, my favorite definitely tho is the Hammerhead, it's like a Terran Battlecruiser mated with a Corellian Corvette.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2012, 02:54:22 AM »

the odyssey without a doubt. considering its the only ship in my fleet i feel is a necessity everyone else is expendable. but scratch the paint on my baby and you incur my wrath.

i have a slogan painted on its side.. if you see me turnen then you better start burnen LOL.  (so cool it has its own made up words even LOL.)
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2012, 08:50:20 AM »

Yeah, Odyssey is my new favorite, too. I put tachyon lances on mine. I was playing with it and couldn't figure out why random frigates kept exploding with none of my ships or missiles nearby, then I realized it was the tachyon lances.  :D  SO AWESOME
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2012, 09:21:39 AM »

for me, the tempest takes the cake, though the medusa comes on a close second, followed by my lancer paragon

Levik

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2012, 09:32:21 AM »

Of course, the cruiser Aurora. Speed, shield and the big guns. What else you need?

daj

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2012, 09:43:55 AM »

I haven't settled on a favorite yet, I need to play more!!

But I do think it's sweet how varied everyone's opinion is. It's a credit to the game that everyone here has these affinities to these different ships.

Back to my captain's yacht cubicle...  >:(

ontheworld

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2012, 09:46:35 AM »

I'm going with the wolf-class point defense frigate. Lasers, lasers, and speed (Just started a new game, hunting down some small pirate groups with 2 of them. First time the pirates aren't able to outrun me.)

BobHound

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2012, 09:48:48 AM »

Without a doubt the Apogee. On second place the Onslaught for its sheer balls to the wall brutality and design.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2012, 09:55:27 AM »

Personally, I feel the stock Paragon Elite variant isn't representative of the paragon's true potential. The autopulse cannons aren't really necessary, because the paragon has great flux stats, the highly flux-efficient autopulse cannons fail to outweigh their low firepower. Although I prefer lancers, given their stupendous range with quad heavy blasters for close-range combat, since my flagship paragon is backed by a large and varied fleet I can afford such specialization which would otherwise come off as potentially crippling, a pair of plasma cannons will really do a number on any capital ship, and the paragon is one of the few ships that can handle their massive OP and flux costs. A battleship fitted Paragon would probably do nicely with a pair of lancers in the side slots to take out pesky small ships from afar, while the primary forward battery is equipped with the plasma cannons.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2012, 10:06:21 AM »

Given the popularity of high tech ships, maybe Alex ought to think about buffing up the selection of midline and low tech ships xD

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2012, 10:44:26 AM »

Given the popularity of high tech ships, maybe Alex ought to think about buffing up the selection of midline and low tech ships xD
At the minute, there's no practical difference in availability between e.g. a Medusa and a Lasher. I would like to see how that is affected once the campaign is a group of systems, with varying access to different technologies and things like Tachyon Lances and Paragons are found after scouring the galaxy, rather than just popping to the next planet.

But yeah, I agree it's a valid point on the current scale of the game. Hopefully not so much in the future?

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2012, 10:55:33 AM »

I personally love the Medusa with Heavy Blasters!  :)  So much fun.
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2012, 10:58:24 AM »

Indeed! I have two medusa variants I use, one is the stock one, the other one is a dual AM blaster, 5x burst pd, dual heavy blaster; great for taking out pesky small ships but also capable of giving capships a rather bloody nose.

Liberthas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2012, 11:12:58 AM »

I really like the Lasher. It just feels right.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10