Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Covert Spy Sat Deployment - How Long Do I Need To Wait?  (Read 5466 times)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Covert Spy Sat Deployment - How Long Do I Need To Wait?
« on: March 26, 2021, 12:08:04 PM »

"Your fleet was recently detected - or is currently being tracked by - a nearby fleet, making covert spysat deployment impossible."

There aren't even any nearby fleets!  None!  Not to mention that I haven't been on anyone's sensors since I turned my transponder off several in-game days ago.

At the very least, I'd appreciate a timer on this, some indication of how much longer I need to wait before I can actually complete the mission.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 12:14:00 PM by Wyvern »
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Covert Spy Sat Deployment - How Long Do I Need To Wait?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 12:25:21 PM »

It should be seconds at most, iirc. If there's really no fleet nearby, this sounds like a bug. Do you happen to have the save handy?

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 12:34:40 PM »

I have a save from just before I turned my transponder off; replicating the 'literally nobody around' case has proven tricky, though. Would a save where the only fleet around was a recently spawned patrol that's never seen me at all be good enough for testing?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 12:35:06 PM »

Yeah, I think it would be.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 12:39:43 PM »

(Edit: link removed) - there you go.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 12:49:45 PM by Wyvern »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 12:40:05 PM »

Thank you! Taking a look.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 12:43:47 PM »

Ah! It's the station that's right there, it wasn't being filtered out from the "IsSeenByAnyFleet" check. Fixed this up; since there'll be a hotfix (later today, or tomorrow, most likely), this'll make it into that.

eNTi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 03:35:54 PM »

This isn't exactly on topic but it's in the ballpark.

How am I supposed to finish this mission? If there's is fleets all around the place at all times? Yes I've tried to go there in dark mode... but there's no getting through that detection? Is this impossible or do I need the right skills for such a mission?

eNTi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 01:31:02 AM »

Should I create a seperate thread for this?

Plan9

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 04:23:49 AM »

How am I supposed to finish this mission? If there's is fleets all around the place at all times? Yes I've tried to go there in dark mode... but there's no getting through that detection? Is this impossible or do I need the right skills for such a mission?
Any mission involving stealth is basically betting on favorable conditions. Depending on how well-guarded the target ends up being the mission difficulty can range from "cakewalk" to "literally impossible barring the destruction of multiple fleets". The only way to get stealth-dependent missions done with anything even remotely resembling reliability is to go in with a phase-ship only setup (which has a sensor profile rating of 0) while stacking as much detection range reduction as you can.

eNTi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2021, 04:50:45 AM »

Any mission involving stealth is basically betting on favorable conditions. Depending on how well-guarded the target ends up being the mission difficulty can range from "cakewalk" to "literally impossible barring the destruction of multiple fleets". The only way to get stealth-dependent missions done with anything even remotely resembling reliability is to go in with a phase-ship only setup (which has a sensor profile rating of 0) while stacking as much detection range reduction as you can.
ok so... this is intendet? i mean i've only played for like 2h or so and nothing even remotely suggests things like that in the game. are we supposed to find that out the hard way? (no judgment)

Plan9

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2021, 05:35:53 AM »

ok so... this is intendet? i mean i've only played for like 2h or so and nothing even remotely suggests things like that in the game. are we supposed to find that out the hard way? (no judgment)
I don't know how satisfied the developer is with how the stealth missions currently work but it seems like he enjoys the potential for big difficulty swings in the missions (like the surplus goods missions having a chance to spawn a large pirate fleet that tries to murder you). The smuggling and spy satellite are the ones I think tend to be the swingiest when it comes to how hard it is to complete them, but on the other hand the consequences for failing them tend to only be a bit of reputation loss. And yeah, the game basically leaves it almost entirely to the player to figure out how to achieve the mission objectives and deal with any complications. Usually it's pretty straight forward; Go to X and blow up Y, bring cargo Z from A to B etc. but the stealth missions in particular have a tendency to, in my experience, present the player with problems that require more roundabout solutions than other mission types.

eNTi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2021, 05:43:20 AM »

alright... well that's good and bad. some hints as to HOW impossible would be nice though. taking a reputaion loss purely due to rng does seem overly harsh. Usually if a mission is impossible one should at least get a heads up (and some compensation for that fact), no?