Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Games that bring back memories  (Read 4426 times)

ShawnO

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Games that bring back memories
« on: March 24, 2021, 03:09:19 AM »

What are some of the games that bring back memories of an era long gone? The ones that make you think of a time when things were simple & fun? For me those games include platinum pokemon, gta vice city, classic sims series & max payne. I'd love to hear your nostalgic game stories & the feeling of reminiscence they inspire within you.

Dex

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Games that bring back memories
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 02:13:22 AM »

Counterstrike Beta 5.4 - The M4 had a scope! I havent even played GO but im aware my favourite maps arent official anymore.
Command and Conquer - that sound track. Couldnt pass GDI mission.... 6? until years later.
Total Annihilation - First time i ever played multiplayer game on my 14k baud modem. I won by nuclear conflagration, clutch destruction of anti missile defence by suicide commander. Fun times
The Dig - Awesome point and click
Sonic And Knuckles - What a game! you got more games by plugging it into other games! unique still.

Kakroom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 07:49:59 AM »

All of my old, old games were on a DS that my mommy took away when I was 10. There was a Transformers game on it I was really fond of.

Beyond that the closest I have to that sort of thing is probably a bunch of flash games like Armed With Wings, Feudalism, and Thing Thing that I played since i was a youngun. I was pretty sheltered so at the time I thought that was all PC's were capable of and to play the really cool stuff you needed something like an Xbox or a playstation. Assassin's Creed pretty much blew my mind all over the wall the first time I played it.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 09:40:28 AM »

X-Wing, floppy disk version on my 486 DX2-66.

That was my first experience of a properly immersive 3D experience; prior to that all my gaming had been on my Amiga 1200/500+, or earlier still on my elder brother's Spectrum 48K.

Obviously I'd played flight sims, and Frontier: Elite 2 on my Amiga(s), but in comparison X-Wing was such a huge leap forwards in terms of cinematic experience, immersiveness & gameplay. Also being a huge sci-fi nerd gave it additional gravitas  ;D

Before that, I have very fond memories of The Settlers on the Amiga.
Nascent RTS, where success came through economy building & transport network optimization rather than direct confrontation.
I must've spent thousands of hours playing that game.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 09:49:17 AM by TJJ »

Mafa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 03:53:47 PM »

Ah yes - well, most will know the usual suspects: Command and Conquer Tiberium Dawn, Starcraft 1, GTA 1 and 2 among others.

But something really early and special would be Cyberdogs, Scorched Earth and Diggers. Simpler times!

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 04:42:36 PM »

I can ramble on so many games from the '80s and '90s.  Ranging from arcade, and from consoles from Atari 2600 to Playstation 1.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 02:00:33 AM »

Total Annihilation
One of the most underrated games ever.

I absolutely loved that the two story campaigns lead into each other in some kind of horrific forever war loop.
Which is apropos given the setting.

Dex

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 12:29:23 PM »

WHAT BEGAN AS A CONFLICT OVER THE TRANSEFERRENCE OF CONSCIOUSNESS FROM MAN TO MACHINE HAS ESCALATED INTO A WAR THAT HAS DECIMATED A MILLION WORLDS. THE CORE AND THE ARM HAVE ALL BUT and i cant remember the rest. something about resources.

That game manual introduced me to many concepts in real science and sci fi id never heard of.

Cyberdogs.... is that the artificial pet thing or was that the one like street fighter?

Frank Ravelli

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 11:34:08 AM »

Civilization 2. Might not be the best, but geez, did I pour hours in that one

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2021, 11:59:18 PM »

Ragnarok Online.

The most skill intensive, high skill ceiling endgame and pvp there ever was (aside from RTS). StarCraft/Warcraft ofc higher skill, but Ragnarok Online came second.

Ramiel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 01:09:07 AM »

The Old 1995 "Albion", "Alpha Centauri" it still has more character than the new civ games....somehow...., "Planescape Torment", "Master of Magic".....there are a lot of amazing old games, that stand up in a very good light, despite the very dated graphics.

Ryan390

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2021, 01:25:57 AM »

After spending about 30 years gaming since the Amiga 600 days it would have to be:

Amiga
- UFO Enemy Unknown (First X-Com game and playing this on the Amiga was WAY ahead of it's time!)

- Frontier Elite 2 - Actually the Sequel to Elite and Elite+ on the BBC micro by industry legend David Braben and Ian Bell (at the time) - Again WAY ahead of it's time considering the technology they had to work with.

- Disposable Hero - One of the best (and still is) side scroller shooters I've ever played. The graphics, music and action were absolutely top drawer.

I had bin bags full of Amiga disks and loved lots of other titles but I'll just mention the top three / five from each category.

IBM / Early PC
 - Monkey Island - Point and click mastery, a game that's truly stood the test of time.

- Vangers "One for the road" - A very unique and largely unheard of game made by a Russian studio called KD Labs. One of my favourite games and a genre of game that's not really been done much. Open world game with looting / combat / exploration / weird alien artefacts and extremely interesting story and lore. A must play IMO. 

- First GTA (GTA 1) - Wow.. first ever truly open world experience in a modern day setting with crime and car-jacking. I was hooked and spend days sat playing it.

PlayStation One
 - Final Fantasy Seven (Still my favourite game of all time) If you haven't played it then you need to. I'd play the original before going near the FF7 remake on the ps4 as its episodic and not finished yet. 

PlayStation Two
 - Gran Turismo 2 - Looks very dated now but was the best driving simulation of it's time and had great career and progression mode.
- Final Fantasy 10 - What a game! Not the same level as 7 in terms of music or story or characters, but definitely a massive leap forward in terms of graphics.
- Final Fantasy 8 - A great overall game with improved graphics and interesting combat system compared to previous FF titles.

X-Box (Original)
- Halo Combat evolved - Ground breaking in terms of immersion and pushing the technology boundary. Really laid the groundwork for an explosion in the first person shooter genre.

PS3
- Metal Gear Solid The Phantom Pain - Wow definitely Kojima's best production to date and really his last great smash hit, I don't think Death Stranded was as well received. A perfect finality to a really strong series of games dating back from the PS1. It's even better on the PS4 but I mentioned it here as it technically was available to play here?

- Skyrim - Enough said.

- Oblivion - Enough said.

PS4
- Ghost of Tsushima - Simply amazing a great title from a powerhouse studio like Ubisoft.

- Red Dead Redemption 2 - Really pushed the boundaries technically and from a story telling perspective. I was simply amazed with the quality. 

- GTA5 - Easily a massive improvement over the previous GTA versions.

- The Witcher 3 - Sneaking in a fourth here as this title should require no introduction.

Modern Day PC
- Deus EX - A perfect blend of RPG elements, stealth, action, story and choice of play. I don't think they were able to successfully re-create this magic with future titles but Mankind Divided came fairly close IMO.

- Half life - I'll never forget this title and will always have a place in my heart!

- Baldur's Gate 2 - One of my favourite RPG's and almost knocks FF7 off it's place.

- Jagged Alliance 2 - Great isometric turn based squad style strategy. Gives the player massive choice and is a really polished and clever game. One of my favourite all time games.   

- System Shock 2 - Probably my favourite shooter of all time and the predecessor to the Bioshock series. It annoys me that massive BioShock fans have never played System Shock 2!

« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 09:09:10 AM by Ryan390 »

Chronosfear

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2021, 07:46:06 AM »

List is in random order and mixed through time and device
And I probably forgot some great games. nostalgia FTW:

RPG
Final Fantasy 7, 8 (though personally i liked 8 a bit more.. Rinoa my first gaming waifu)
Secret of Mana
Terranigma
Secret of Evermore
Morrowind & Skyrim (Oblivion, too but the other 2 are way better)
Diablo 1 and 2
Baldurs Gate 1+2 (also included: Icewind Dale)

Racing
Rock n Roll Racing
Need for Speed (up to Underground 2 - then i lost intresst)

Space "Simulation"
Privateer 2 (The Darkening)
Wing Commander (All of them)

Adventure
Monkey Island
Day of the Tentacle
Indiana Jones

Strategie
C&C 1, Red Alert 1 & 2
Total Annihilation
Supreme Commander
UFO Enemy Unknown and TFTD (still remember little me couldn leave the room after playing the game in the dark - the music in TFTD is still terrifying, also its not "good" quality)
Battle Isle 2 + 3
Jagged Alliance 1 + 2 ( I play it every now and then, still going strong)
VGA Planets

3D / Shooter
Classic Doom
System Shock 1
Deus Ex

geez. I´m getting old. Want to roll back time to the easier days of life.

Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

My words are backed with nuclear weapons
Gandhi (Civ)

pnass

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2021, 08:13:30 PM »

For me I think Wing Commander 4: Prophecy.

It's not my favorite Wing Commander game nor is it even in my top 10 list. In fact, I haven't actually played it in years. But when I think back to the summer of 1997, when I played through it, it brings back a rush of childhood memories. Like I recall that summer I discovered Imperium Galactica 2, Diablo, StarCraft, Quake, Fallout, etc. Basically it was when I got a computer of my own that was reasonably powerful for the time. Wing Commander 4 just happened to be first PC game that I played all the way through with a real story and challenge to it. At least one that made sense without a walkthrough book *cough* Myst *cough*.

First time in a game that I finished it and wished there was more. No sigh of relief that the journey was over but rather that it was finished. Heh, thinking back the live action stuff was pretty cringe but you always remember your first.
write erase
reload

TimeDiver

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2021, 08:30:16 PM »

For me I think Wing Commander 4: Prophecy.
FYI, Prophecy was Wing Commander 5; WC4 was The Price of Freedom, showcasing the downfall of Geoffrey Tolwyn, as portrayed by the magnificent SOB that is Malcolm McDowell...

...and happens to feature Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker Christopher 'Maverick' Blair and Tom Wilson as Biff Tannen Todd 'Maniac' Marshall in the 'starring as' / main character roles.
Pages: [1] 2