Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.95a is out! (03/26/21)

Author Topic: Games that bring back memories  (Read 282 times)

ShawnO

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Games that bring back memories
« on: March 24, 2021, 03:09:19 AM »

What are some of the games that bring back memories of an era long gone? The ones that make you think of a time when things were simple & fun? For me those games include platinum pokemon, gta vice city, classic sims series & max payne. I'd love to hear your nostalgic game stories & the feeling of reminiscence they inspire within you.

Dex

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Games that bring back memories
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 02:13:22 AM »

Counterstrike Beta 5.4 - The M4 had a scope! I havent even played GO but im aware my favourite maps arent official anymore.
Command and Conquer - that sound track. Couldnt pass GDI mission.... 6? until years later.
Total Annihilation - First time i ever played multiplayer game on my 14k baud modem. I won by nuclear conflagration, clutch destruction of anti missile defence by suicide commander. Fun times
The Dig - Awesome point and click
Sonic And Knuckles - What a game! you got more games by plugging it into other games! unique still.

Kakroom

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 07:49:59 AM »

All of my old, old games were on a DS that my mommy took away when I was 10. There was a Transformers game on it I was really fond of.

Beyond that the closest I have to that sort of thing is probably a bunch of flash games like Armed With Wings, Feudalism, and Thing Thing that I played since i was a youngun. I was pretty sheltered so at the time I thought that was all PC's were capable of and to play the really cool stuff you needed something like an Xbox or a playstation. Assassin's Creed pretty much blew my mind all over the wall the first time I played it.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 09:40:28 AM »

X-Wing, floppy disk version on my 486 DX2-66.

That was my first experience of a properly immersive 3D experience; prior to that all my gaming had been on my Amiga 1200/500+, or earlier still on my elder brother's Spectrum 48K.

Obviously I'd played flight sims, and Frontier: Elite 2 on my Amiga(s), but in comparison X-Wing was such a huge leap forwards in terms of cinematic experience, immersiveness & gameplay. Also being a huge sci-fi nerd gave it additional gravitas  ;D

Before that, I have very fond memories of The Settlers on the Amiga.
Nascent RTS, where success came through economy building & transport network optimization rather than direct confrontation.
I must've spent thousands of hours playing that game.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 09:49:17 AM by TJJ »

Mafa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 03:53:47 PM »

Ah yes - well, most will know the usual suspects: Command and Conquer Tiberium Dawn, Starcraft 1, GTA 1 and 2 among others.

But something really early and special would be Cyberdogs, Scorched Earth and Diggers. Simpler times!

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 04:42:36 PM »

I can ramble on so many games from the '80s and '90s.  Ranging from arcade, and from consoles from Atari 2600 to Playstation 1.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 02:00:33 AM »

Total Annihilation
One of the most underrated games ever.

I absolutely loved that the two story campaigns lead into each other in some kind of horrific forever war loop.
Which is apropos given the setting.

Dex

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 12:29:23 PM »

WHAT BEGAN AS A CONFLICT OVER THE TRANSEFERRENCE OF CONSCIOUSNESS FROM MAN TO MACHINE HAS ESCALATED INTO A WAR THAT HAS DECIMATED A MILLION WORLDS. THE CORE AND THE ARM HAVE ALL BUT and i cant remember the rest. something about resources.

That game manual introduced me to many concepts in real science and sci fi id never heard of.

Cyberdogs.... is that the artificial pet thing or was that the one like street fighter?