Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is it the end of system override?  (Read 5083 times)

Warnoise

• Commander
    • View Profile
Is it the end of system override?
« on: March 23, 2021, 07:29:48 PM »

With the nerf of assault chaingun a, I think there is no point in ever using system override now.

Considering its op cost the and the disadvantages it brings with there simply no weapon that fully benefits from it anymore.

Personally I disagree with assault chaingun need since it is a high risk/high rewards weapon. With the nerf now it is a high risk low reward weapon.

On top of that, we don't have any other weapon that fills that nich (low range high dps).

I guess this patch will kill off system override and proves the supremacy of range playstyle.

Your take on this?

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Is it the end of system override?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 07:40:49 PM »

I think you're catastrophising. Assault chaingun used to be about half as strong as it is currently (so it underwent a massive buff), and it was used with SO builds then. The new version is still a lot stronger than the old chain gun.

Kpop

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 08:17:30 PM »

It's a sizeable nerf sure, will it neuter the option? Probably not. Hammerhead will still be a prime contender for that kind of build. Unfortunately just wont be able to shred things as quickly.

TheLaughingDead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 09:41:33 PM »

It seems to me that the Chaingun nerf has been over-exaggerated. It went from 90 damage to 75 damage. This is only a 16.6% damage nerf, for a gun that had an incredibly high DPS. Even with the nerf, the weapon will likely still shred enemies. It is still the highest damage medium ballistic mount, it still fills the coveted spot of HE medium ballistic slot, and it still has the same trade-off of damage for range.
To be honest, I don't think the weapon will have any hit to usage once the new patch drops, though only time will tell on that one.

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 10:05:18 PM »

I've been playing with the "Vanilla Patch" mod a bit.  Nerfed ACG is now merely "Very Good" as an SO weapon instead of "Ridiculously good".  SO builds are not seriously harmed right now with the chain gun changes.

That's in 0.91 with the vanilla patch mind you, where we don't benefit from other changes in 0.95 where SO builds benefit the most from the incoming Story Point build-in hullmod change that allows you to install SO + 1-2 other hullmods with no OP cost, functionally giving a massive 15/30/45 OP for SO builds.

Looking at basically every single part of the patch notes that aren't Assault Chain Gun's slight tone down, I'd suggest the reports of SO's death are greatly exaggerated.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 10:49:24 PM »

30 free OP is going to be so huge for SO builds... I'm almost unsure of what even to do with them on a Hammerhead. Maybe triple up on speed with unstable injector? Automated repair unit? Presumably if I'm sinking 1 story point into a temporary ship I'm going to sink 2, so its likely to have hardened shields or heavy armor for free as well.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 01:01:32 AM »

I mean, how long can an SO dominator stay in your fleet with 60-70 free OP?

Probably a long time

Maeleth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 01:16:18 AM »

IMO the only hard nerf for AC is lowered armor penetration, which in turn means "popping heavy cruisers in one go" is going to be less probable.
Honestly I've never even used SO on any ship after a hour or two into the game due to a wide variety of downsides (huge OP cost, no vent, extremely limited PPT and range), so nothing is going to change in my tactics.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 05:09:05 AM »

SO builds were good before the AC was buffed, and they'll still be good after the AC is nerfed to a level that's still higher than it used to be.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2021, 05:39:36 AM »

Well this is a overreaction if I ever saw one. And it's kinda harsh to call it a AC nerf when it was previously buffed stupidly good just so Alex can test how it would be used. Think more of it like bringing it to a respectable level instead of being a broken toy. This "nerf" is still much better than the pre buff AC.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2021, 07:50:23 AM »

The main ship I use SO with is the Aurora so I inherently disagree. Additionally, the free OP you'll be able to get by permanently infusing it into a ship will be crazy and will allow for all types of builds, not to mention the Ion Pulser buffs that will marry perfectly with that option. If anything, this patch will make SO better than ever.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2021, 08:21:38 AM »

Average enemy fleet is supposed to be much less capital centric. It means that average armor/hull hp of a typical target will be lower. Plus new anti-armor missiles. Not sure about skills.

Honestly, I'm from the Assault Chaingun gang myself but do not see all this as a nerf. More like a buff.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2021, 09:35:46 AM »

A nerf to AC but a buff to SO ships overall. This patch is going to let you take the two most expensive hull mods and make them free. That is a huge amount of value to the most expensive hull mod in the game

sector_terror

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2021, 10:17:08 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do we have confirmation that SO will be in the lost of permanent hull mods? Because we don't actually know if those will be the current mods or entirely new sets of mods or what as of right now.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2021, 10:25:03 AM »

You can build in any hullmod. You get less bonus XP for hullmods that have a higher OP cost, though, so for SO in particular, spending a story point on it is more of an investment than it would be to build in a cheaper hullmod.
Pages: [1] 2