Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Flux Cannon  (Read 21560 times)

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Flux Cannon
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2012, 10:21:35 AM »

@K-64, There could also be flux-resistant missiles who, although travel slower once in a flux field, can pass through it without being destroyed. Depending how intense the flux-field is. if in the flux-field just as it starts where the highest 'power' output of it would be, some would be destroyed, but most would get through and hit (say a 1 in 6 chance for a missile to be destroyed within .5-1.5sec of venting start? and it goes down from there rapidly).

That still wouldn't address the issue of normal missiles being utterly useless. If anything, all weapons should do more damage to venting ships as they probably have to open up some hatches or something to get all that heat out. Though as it is, I think flux and venting is fine

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2012, 10:28:37 AM »

We pick up on light from a septillion different stars every millisecond of every day, and that doesn't mean it has an appreciable effect on us other than being able to see it. For all we know, the visible component of flux venting could merely be ship sensors highlighting the effect into visible bands of radiation so we know when the enemy ship has dropped its guard.

I hate, absolutely despise, the turning of this game's only limiting factor other than ammunition into some half baked boon. Flux is there to limit and, in the case of energy weapons, to provide a very small bonus (to counter their terrible  base damage). If flux shakes off missiles or provides a speed boost, that just makes hit and run attacks-- and therefore map control and speed-- THAT much better, and heavy hitters are ALREADY having trouble justifying their cost and crew commitment.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2012, 02:43:55 PM »

Since flux is the build up of waste energy (when weapons are firing) or the energy from impacts to the shields. Why not have it just when you vent flux, it destroys missiles? Would add a new tactic, am i about to be missile swarmed, and venting my 2/3rds flux would save me? Poof. Seems like it would kinda make sense, i keep thinking of flux as some sort of electromagnetic-plasma that when vented from its containers turns it into a high energy vapor, which to me might set off the explosives inside the warheads of most missiles.

This idea is super awful.

Because it needed to be said again. I always thought that venting your flux was like space age reloading, and you should be extremely vulnerable to all incoming fire while you are reloading or venting.

Valhalla

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2012, 03:00:01 PM »

Since flux is the build up of waste energy (when weapons are firing) or the energy from impacts to the shields. Why not have it just when you vent flux, it destroys missiles? Would add a new tactic, am i about to be missile swarmed, and venting my 2/3rds flux would save me? Poof. Seems like it would kinda make sense, i keep thinking of flux as some sort of electromagnetic-plasma that when vented from its containers turns it into a high energy vapor, which to me might set off the explosives inside the warheads of most missiles.

This idea is super awful.

Because it needed to be said again. I always thought that venting your flux was like space age reloading, and you should be extremely vulnerable to all incoming fire while you are reloading or venting.

So going back to my original saying Flux is Space Magic, deal with it  8)

Everyone is happy!

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2012, 03:43:01 PM »

You don't get it. It's not just a matter of making sense or not making sense, you're actively ruining the mechanics and flow of the game by eliminating vulnerability during venting.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]