Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Flux Cannon  (Read 21654 times)

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Flux Cannon
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2012, 05:17:07 PM »

I'm also not sure I buy how a damaging vent would help small ships (with lower ability to generate and store flux, as well as a smaller area covered while venting) versus capitals who, if they need to vent, generally have to dispose of a huge amount of flux and cover a relatively large area.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2012, 05:21:12 PM »

Why SHOULD a ship without energy weapons benefit from high flux? It benefits by having the most flux efficient weapons in the game-- ballistics.

I wasn't speaking specifically about 'damaging vents', though I think that concept is asinine. I was talking specifically about 'flux cannons' or 'flux speed boosts' or 'flux missile buggering' there.

If you're talking about actually damaging enemy ships by venting flux, then I ask that the game also allow us to torch enemy ships to death with our thruster impulses, because of the Kzinti lesson. Because that would be far, far, more efficient.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2012, 06:51:32 PM »

If I were making it, I would say that it would vent your flux slower (.7 speed) than normal venting, but would have the side effect increasing flux on the enemy ship (it would inflict about 50% of the flux vented should you hit your opponent the entire time.) I would have it inflict 0 damage unless the enemy is overloaded, in which case it would inflict energy damage at ~10% of vented flux.

I would still have it not allow other weapons fire or shields, it wouldn't stop until venting is complete, and would have 400 range, but it would provide a alternative option to conventional venting which could potentially give you a significant advantage.

It wouldn't just be flux vented directionally, but rather a tight dispersal energy dump. I would probably call it a "Flux Lash" or something...  ;D

The downsides is that you would be vulnerable for much longer, lose a weapon slot, and need to be very close to use it. For some people though, I think it would be a very viable weapon.  If it were really that hard to balance, make it an 'either - or' option. Either you can have a Flux Lash or normal vents, not both.
Now your just hopelessly complicating things, this would change the entire way the combat would work and mess up all AI in the game. This is jut getting dumb. I can see the effects already, all ships hopelessly trying to vent their flux only to pass it on to others at a 50% rate, meaning everyone will just get more flux coming in then they can dump, especially at a range of 400 witch is the range of some weapons in the game (how would that even work?)

Just no, bad idea.

Some of the coolest game features are the ones that allow you to turn a limitation into a bonus if done correctly. For instance, reloading. Gears of War had a small little minigame that could boost your reload speed and give you bonus damage, or, if you screwed it up, you'd take longer to reload.

Just a cool little feature that allows skilled or practiced players to turn a limitation into a bonus.

Just another example of hopelessly trying to complicate games, why put in a useless game feature that will only get into the way of the actual gameplay. (which is running around and shooting stuff) It gives a boost only to veterans who know how the game works and penalizes people that don't. It is just so stupid.

But please don't turn this into a GoW topic, I'm sorry for even mentioning it.

Valhalla

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2012, 05:50:25 AM »

Flux is Space Magic, The end.

:D

PansarPung

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2012, 05:58:32 AM »

Flux is Space Magic, The end.

:D

Case Closed!

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2012, 05:59:51 AM »

Complacency.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

JDCollie

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2012, 02:07:06 PM »

Now your just hopelessly complicating things, this would change the entire way the combat would work and mess up all AI in the game. This is jut getting dumb. I can see the effects already, all ships hopelessly trying to vent their flux only to pass it on to others at a 50% rate, meaning everyone will just get more flux coming in then they can dump, especially at a range of 400 witch is the range of some weapons in the game (how would that even work?)

Just no, bad idea.
The way you describe it makes it seem like the AI be forced to utilize and prioritize this weapon over all other considerations, which is silly, and even if it were true could be easily fixed with proper balancing. I just suggested some possible values off the top of my head; obviously they need to be adjusted, but it doesn't mean that the idea itself is game-breaking.

Using this weapon, were it implemented, would have some serious drawbacks offsetting the advantages.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2012, 01:09:23 AM »

That's not what I'm saying at all, that's what the consequences will be if this was implemented without the right AI to handle it, it would break the game.

Valhalla

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2012, 06:26:09 AM »

Since flux is the build up of waste energy (when weapons are firing) or the energy from impacts to the shields. Why not have it just when you vent flux, it destroys missiles? Would add a new tactic, am i about to be missile swarmed, and venting my 2/3rds flux would save me? Poof. Seems like it would kinda make sense, i keep thinking of flux as some sort of electromagnetic-plasma that when vented from its containers turns it into a high energy vapor, which to me might set off the explosives inside the warheads of most missiles.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2012, 06:29:55 AM »

Since flux is the build up of waste energy (when weapons are firing) or the energy from impacts to the shields. Why not have it just when you vent flux, it destroys missiles? Would add a new tactic, am i about to be missile swarmed, and venting my 2/3rds flux would save me? Poof. Seems like it would kinda make sense, i keep thinking of flux as some sort of electromagnetic-plasma that when vented from its containers turns it into a high energy vapor, which to me might set off the explosives inside the warheads of most missiles.

Sounds like a resonable idea, and i actully like it ;)

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2012, 06:32:34 AM »

Not to sure about that, because it would make using missiles very hard indeed, unless you can overload them first.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2012, 06:40:36 AM »

Would it not make more sense to create missiles who specifically target flux venting ships because it's in a time of weakness?

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2012, 06:44:52 AM »

I tend to only find missiles truly effective when ships are either venting, overloaded or I fire a crapton of missiles at them anyway. Having them be destroyed by venting would make them even less usable than they currently are already

Valhalla

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2012, 06:51:07 AM »

Would it not make more sense to create missiles who specifically target flux venting ships because it's in a time of weakness?

Not sure what your trying to get at, mostly from me reading what you've said wrong, like i normally do.

I mean that could actually work, if the flux-destroy-missiles thing never happened, It would make sense for a military force of any kind to have missiles set to hit targets that are helpless.

@Hyph_k31, which is what you normally do isnt it? Normally it calls for overloading them, then firing your missiles, this way even if they where venting, you fire enough missiles, some would be at the right range to hit them just as the vent ends, and before their shields come back up. This adds a small layer of defense and tactic.

@K-64, There could also be flux-resistant missiles who, although travel slower once in a flux field, can pass through it without being destroyed. Depending how intense the flux-field is. if in the flux-field just as it starts where the highest 'power' output of it would be, some would be destroyed, but most would get through and hit (say a 1 in 6 chance for a missile to be destroyed within .5-1.5sec of venting start? and it goes down from there rapidly).

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2012, 10:16:30 AM »

This idea is super awful.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5