Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: So, these bladebreaker chappies........  (Read 5653 times)

Gregorovitch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
So, these bladebreaker chappies........
« on: March 09, 2021, 07:50:30 AM »

[@mods: I don't seem to have posting rights to the mod board. Please move this if appropriate etc]

I've come across this system with a "hardened hard" warning marker and a funny glowing "planet" in it - and hoards of these bladebreaker jokers. Jokers I say, but in fact I would say these blighters are no laughing matter, no laughing matter at all. I have done one full expedition to this system so far and started a second. I have defeated I would say seven or eight of their patrol fleets so far. Having recovered one of their ships and started using it myself I also now know exactly why they are no laughing matter.

My tactic during the first expedition was to defeat a fleet and then skedaddle out to hyperspace to repair up before three or more fleets could gank me. Then go back in and deal with the next one. I've just repeated this process in expedition 2 and.......

The blighters are chasing me around in hyperspace now!  :o Maybe five or six more fleets of them. BIG fleets of them  :P

WTF? The remnants don't do this. Not fair I say!

Anyway, I am somewhat unsure as to how to proceed here. Mainly the question I have is whether the blighters have a predefined number of fleets or they are making new ones all the time. And what's with them suddenly coming out of their system in force and terrifying the living daylights out of me?

« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 07:53:14 AM by Gregorovitch »

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
Re: So, these bladebreaker chappies........
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 12:46:59 PM »

Welcome to hell. I’m the devil.

They use exactly the same code and gameplay structure as Remnants; fleets spawn from bases, kill the bases and you can clean up the fleets.

I’ve tweaked them a fair bit for the next release, but they’re still a bunch of bastards; just slightly more manageable ones.

Gregorovitch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 04:10:14 PM »

Welcome to hell. I’m the devil.

They use exactly the same code and gameplay structure as Remnants; fleets spawn from bases, kill the bases and you can clean up the fleets.

I’ve tweaked them a fair bit for the next release, but they’re still a bunch of bastards; just slightly more manageable ones.

Aha! The culprit emerges!  ;D

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know that remnants spawned fleets from bases. I've never really had any problem killing off remnants and then hitting their nexuses in one sitting so I've never really noticed the spawning bit I guess.

These bladebreakers buggers are another ball game altogether however. I've got a whole bunch of top of the line battleships and carriers etc but 300 pts worth of any combination of them appears insufficient to easily pacify these blighters.

But thanks for the heads up, clearly I have been following a hopeless stratagem, a veritable lamb to the slaughter stratagem. Suitably enlightened I shall try to figure out a way to find their base (yeah, bases plural I've no doubt from the tone of your reply:P) and attempt to dispatch it/them without getting caught by three or four monster fleets all at once in the process.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 04:12:37 PM by Gregorovitch »

jlrperkins

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 05:29:16 PM »

These bladebreakers buggers are another ball game altogether however. I've got a whole bunch of top of the line battleships and carriers etc but 300 pts worth of any combination of them appears insufficient to easily pacify these blighters.

Dealing with these bastards requires a specific fleet theme. Ballistic-oriented fleets with medium-high armor and either fast speed or sprint get-in-your-face capability are just the ticket. Do NOT attempt to get in a flux war with them; they will outflux you handily. Instead, charge them and pin them down; once you get the shield out of the way, they will go down surprisingly fast.

Gregorovitch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 04:24:59 AM »

Dealing with these bastards requires a specific fleet theme. Ballistic-oriented fleets with medium-high armor and either fast speed or sprint get-in-your-face capability are just the ticket. Do NOT attempt to get in a flux war with them; they will outflux you handily. Instead, charge them and pin them down; once you get the shield out of the way, they will go down surprisingly fast.

This is only my second Starsector game, first with the nex mod and few others I installed to go with it. I am still somewhat overwhelmed by the number and complexity of the weapons systems and loadout choices so I'm not sure I fully understand your comment. Seems likee a good time to learn more a bout it. Do you mean something like I need a fleet with:

* a preponderance of anti-shield weapons (of which kinetics are usually good examples)
* fast ships or ones with "charge capability" (meaning many cruisers/destroyers are favoured over fewer slow battle ships and carriers)

I have 70m Cr in the bank and 750k production per month in my colonies and a fair few ship blueprints the "best" of which appear to be:

Capitals: Astral, Zenelograd, conquest
Cruisers: Baikal, Apogee, Knight, Dominator
Destroyers: Tereshkova, Medusa, Tunguska, Scorpion

I can buy any number of premium Blackrock ships too, I already own several including four each of their main battleships and carriers. I have several high end 200% armour ballistic blueprints (Ferrocannon, Gauss cannon, Gale battery, whistler jetfire, dual shard cannon etc) which I can mass produce.

I am unsure what do about carriers/fighters. Should I:

* leave carriers out of it altogether and rely on on PD against these blighter's fighter swarms
* go for anti-shield bombers
* or go for anti-fighter fighters.

:-\

jlrperkins

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 07:44:53 AM »

This is only my second Starsector game, first with the nex mod and few others I installed to go with it. I am still somewhat overwhelmed by the number and complexity of the weapons systems and loadout choices so I'm not sure I fully understand your comment. Seems likee a good time to learn more a bout it. Do you mean something like I need a fleet with:

* a preponderance of anti-shield weapons (of which kinetics are usually good examples)
* fast ships or ones with "charge capability" (meaning many cruisers/destroyers are favoured over fewer slow battle ships and carriers)

I have 70m Cr in the bank and 750k production per month in my colonies and a fair few ship blueprints the "best" of which appear to be:

Capitals: Astral, Zenelograd, conquest
Cruisers: Baikal, Apogee, Knight, Dominator
Destroyers: Tereshkova, Medusa, Tunguska, Scorpion

I can buy any number of premium Blackrock ships too, I already own several including four each of their main battleships and carriers. I have several high end 200% armour ballistic blueprints (Ferrocannon, Gauss cannon, Gale battery, whistler jetfire, dual shard cannon etc) which I can mass produce.

I am unsure what do about carriers/fighters. Should I:

* leave carriers out of it altogether and rely on on PD against these blighter's fighter swarms
* go for anti-shield bombers
* or go for anti-fighter fighters.

:-\

You pretty much got it. Blade Breakers fight by engaging, doing a good deal of alpha damage, disengage, rinse and repeat. They unique hullmod allows them to effectively laugh at slow/steady strategies, because they can dissipate hard flux without dropping their shields, their shields are quite efficient, they have medium-to-high base flux dissipation, they have high base speed and maneuverability, and their ship systems are mostly movement enhancers that allow them to easily disengage. And then, their unique hullmod gives them a bonus to active vent speed. So yes, the strategy here is to charge them with fast, tanky ships and hit them hard with kinetics. Preferably kinetics with large single shot damage rather that steady damage, and with fast projectiles. And forget about using any kind of unguided missile, they are too maneuverable to get hit. Any fighters you use in this case should be support fighters for PD and anti-bomber duties.

If you go for a carrier stragety, make sure you go for overkill. Blade Breakers have excellent anti-fighter interceptors and PD, so you need LARGE numbers. And make sure all the carriers have the hullmod to increase fighter readiness recovery, because you WILL take losses.