Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Odd massive loss of performance  (Read 11919 times)

Shogouki

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Odd massive loss of performance
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2022, 04:54:10 PM »

Are the JREs that are used to upgrade Starsector to Java 8 available anywhere else, or are these specifically tailored to the game?

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2022, 05:04:53 PM »

They should be the same JREs as from Oracle's site, just rehosted so people don't have to register there or figure out which download page circumvents that requirement.

Shogouki

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2022, 11:23:44 AM »

They should be the same JREs as from Oracle's site, just rehosted so people don't have to register there or figure out which download page circumvents that requirement.

Ahh ok, thanks.  Go figure Oracle would make things difficult...

Shogouki

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2022, 05:10:34 PM »

I take it you used those files and have had no problem?

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2022, 11:04:04 PM »

I even used other JRE versions (think it was 8) and had no problem with it, though it was explicitly not recommended. The only thing that won't work is the big jump to recent OpenJDK versions, but that goes for a lot of classic-JRE bundled games.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 11:32:49 PM by Schwartz »

Shogouki

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2022, 01:22:47 PM »

I even used other JRE versions (think it was 8) and had no problem with it, though it was explicitly not recommended. The only thing that won't work is the big jump to recent OpenJDK versions, but that goes for a lot of classic-JRE bundled games.

Out of curiosity why is it so heavily recommended against?  I don't think I've seen a post yet about these JREs causing problems.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2022, 01:36:59 AM »

Weird issues could crop up and it's basically a no-warranty situation. In practice it's always worked fine for me (but might not).

Shogouki

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2022, 01:47:14 PM »

Sorry, last time I resurrect this thread!  I was curious if anyone knows which JREs are in the linked download that way I could try and get them from Oracle myself?  Or are there lots and figuring that would be time consuming for others?  Or is this something that I should ask on the Starsector Discord instead?  Thanks again for any help and patience!
Pages: 1 [2]