Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: thumper buffs  (Read 2929 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: thumper buffs
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2021, 07:23:59 PM »

Flaks do ok against fighters, but their raw damage is pretty low. Dual flaks are pretty darn deadly against them - 450 aoe dps I think?

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2021, 09:04:34 PM »

I thought the ANTI_FIGHTER tag was only used in conjunction with PD_ONLY weapons to allow guns that strictly shoot at missiles to also aim at fighters.  Few weapons have the ANTI_FIGHTER tag, but most of them will still fire at them.

Base HMG (and LMG) are excellent SO support weapons and lousy PD weapons, to the point where I wonder why they have the PD tag other than to pretend they're PD alternatives to vulcans and flak.  They're good SO bait but they'd need some sort of tweak to be competent in a PD role, though doing so without making them even nastier SO guns might be a bit of a trick (have a few ideas, but this isn't the thread for them)

2b is what I'd be interested in trying first.  It's similar to the earlier renditions of the Thumper/Shredder, and I really want a multipurpose gun that can knock out fighters & missiles like the Thumper's fluff text suggests.  That's the Thumper setup I'm testing next (My last test was a simple Thumper slightly reworked with clip mechanics and PD_ALSO mechanics.  Funnily enough it was actually too effective in the PD role; turns out a cloud of 2k frag launched all at the same time tends to obliterate the missile, and the 5 behind that)

2a and 1 would also work in terms of making the Thumper useful, but I'm just irrationally wed to the idea of a PD-capable thumper...

Flaks can be effective against fighters, but their effectiveness against them is extremely sensitive to the fighter craft in question.  Flak or Dual Flak will effortlessly wipe clouds of Wasps (10 armor/100 hull) and chew through Talons (25 armor/200 hull), but knocking down a Broadsword (100 armor/750 hull) or licking your way to the center of a Warthog (200 armor/750 hull) is bound to be a much longer slog.

w.r.t. this claim,
I agree 100% that the Thumper is too weak for its OP cost compared to all other guns. I'm not completely sure thats undesirable though, because imo there is some gameplay value in having a bad option or two. It gives new players something to identify as bad and then not use (system mastery progression) as well as lets them laugh maniacally when blowing up the poor pirate ships using them.

And then there is that special sense of embarrassment that happens when an enemy with thumpers manages to blow me up because I've been flying very badly...
eh.  I don't agree.  I've never felt any sense of accomplishment or achievement when discovering that something that's supposed to be useful in its role actually isn't and avoid it, nor does it provide me any joy blowing up dumb pirate builds that wield them in a medium mount (or worse: a large mount).  At best I don't notice such obsolete equipment, but often it somewhat detracts from whatever game I'm playing by taking up space, especially if it's a thing that I want to be good.  And let's be honest, who truly want Star Sector's BRRRRRRRRT gun to suck?

I'm fundamentally opposed to the idea that any weapon should intentionally be worse than other weapons for a given OP cost.  I've made a personal mod filled with slight tweaks of vanilla stuff I hardly used, because I want as many options afforded to the player (well, me) to be viable as possible.

RustyCabbage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2021, 09:09:48 AM »

I find myself liking something like 150x15 damage at 40 flux per shot. As is you need to strip 90% of the armor of mere ~450 destroyer-level armor for the Thumper to outperform a Heavy Mortar, and cruiser-, capital- or IM1-tier residual armor is out of the question entirely. The suggested values would lower it to ~85% against destroyer levels of armor, actually allow it to deal respectable (i.e. outperforming a Heavy Mortar) damage to stripped cruiser/capital armor while still allowing IM1 to be a reasonable method of mitigating them.

All this to say that I'd rather the Thumper just get simple number tweaks than any major mechanic changes. It's already among the more unique weapons in vanilla and changes like 2b) make it needlessly similar to the ballistic options we already have.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2021, 11:27:41 AM »

I got good-ish results from using regenerating ammunition for the thumper - keeping its sustained DPS the same, but allowing it to deal around double its normal DPS for a few seconds. It's still not a great weapon like that, but it's at least kinda usable.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Golde

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2021, 12:09:43 PM »

I'd rather the thumper be buffed by stat than by OPs, I'd rather it has an actual uses than to be *** and or cheap.

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2021, 07:54:48 PM »

w.r.t. this claim,
I agree 100% that the Thumper is too weak for its OP cost compared to all other guns. I'm not completely sure thats undesirable though, because imo there is some gameplay value in having a bad option or two. It gives new players something to identify as bad and then not use (system mastery progression) as well as lets them laugh maniacally when blowing up the poor pirate ships using them.

And then there is that special sense of embarrassment that happens when an enemy with thumpers manages to blow me up because I've been flying very badly...
eh.  I don't agree.  I've never felt any sense of accomplishment or achievement when discovering that something that's supposed to be useful in its role actually isn't and avoid it, nor does it provide me any joy blowing up dumb pirate builds that wield them in a medium mount (or worse: a large mount).  At best I don't notice such obsolete equipment, but often it somewhat detracts from whatever game I'm playing by taking up space, especially if it's a thing that I want to be good.  And let's be honest, who truly want Star Sector's BRRRRRRRRT gun to suck?

I'm fundamentally opposed to the idea that any weapon should intentionally be worse than other weapons for a given OP cost.  I've made a personal mod filled with slight tweaks of vanilla stuff I hardly used, because I want as many options afforded to the player (well, me) to be viable as possible.

I agree wholeheartedly with Retry here - to expand on their point and my own; there's nothing wrong with a bad gun, but a bad gun should be cheap. There is something wrong with a bad gun that is not priced (in Ordnance Points) commensurate to its value. I think I recall Alex mentioning this as a design principle even, at some point.

Anyway, the proliferation of people coming out of the woodwork to mention that they've already tweaked the thumper in their games speaks to my point and heartens me. To be honest, I'm less attached to any single fix - even the ones I myself proposed - as I am to the idea that something needs to be done, and I trust Alex/David to figure out the best way to do it.

Save the thumper!  :-[
Kadur Remnant: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649
Vayra's Sector: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16058
Vayra's Ship Pack: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16059

im gonna push jangala into the sun i swear to god im gonna do it

Chikanuk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2021, 02:00:55 AM »

Totally agree, thumper suck, and not in enjoyable or funny way.
Personally i prefer to made him go BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR with constand fast rof.

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2021, 12:05:05 PM »

WOOOOOOOOOO YYEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH WE DID IT
Kadur Remnant: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649
Vayra's Sector: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16058
Vayra's Ship Pack: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16059

im gonna push jangala into the sun i swear to god im gonna do it

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2021, 12:13:46 PM »

I will quote myself.
Oh cool, now a weapon that's hardly ever used because there's hardly ever mounts left for it will... have exactly the same issue still. At least it's cheaper.

Maethendias

• Commander
  • Esteemed Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2021, 04:24:25 PM »

isnt the whole point of the thumper that it IS bad, and has an exceptionally good damage/flux ratio?

and isnt it like, the cheapest medium balistic too?

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2021, 04:40:52 PM »

isnt the whole point of the thumper that it IS bad, and has an exceptionally good damage/flux ratio?

and isnt it like, the cheapest medium balistic too?
This thread is from before it became the cheapest ballistic in this most recent patch. With the new OP cost, it might be passable sometimes, it used to cost 9 OP.

It does frag damage which is 1/4 damage to shields and armor, so its effective damage/flux is not good (divide DPS by 4 for shields, armor is more complicated but still very bad performance). Also, there is a minimum armor mechanic so the 1/4 armor damage multiplier reduces how much hull damage it does by a lot too.
Pages: 1 [2]