Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: [0.97a] Persean Chronicles, a quest mod  (Read 132954 times)

Terethall

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Persean Chronicles, a quest mod (updated 2021-10-07)
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2022, 06:39:26 PM »

I can confirm the Karengo and Riley content works fine in .95.1aRC6. Haven't gotten the other quests yet, but from reading the thread they sound less important, and also, like they might naturally take forever to trigger. (Red Planet took like 15 cycles to trigger for me in the new patch, cf.)

Although the Depths riddles are very fun and I want more like that, I like the long term potential world-building impacts in the Riley storyline the most. It's just so personal and touching by comparison to vanilla; in a game where Crew is a commodity and the main plotline is certified weapons-grade High-Concept Sci-Fi Rigmarole, having some human emotion and natural-feeling backstory is like opening a window in an abattoir.

Also, I wanted to ask, how does the Depths quest choose a target world? It happened to pick a Decivilized Subpopulation Terran world in literally the best system in the sector (tons of planets, nearly all the right market conditions represented), so the text made enough sense talking about the locals. Same system had a research station with a Biofactory Embryo. Free Port enabled. Part of me is wondering if the mod alters the system, or if it has criteria that helps it pick a really good one naturally?

Wispborne

• Captain
  • Discord: wispborne
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2022, 09:38:41 PM »

I can confirm the Karengo and Riley content works fine in .95.1aRC6. Haven't gotten the other quests yet, but from reading the thread they sound less important, and also, like they might naturally take forever to trigger. (Red Planet took like 15 cycles to trigger for me in the new patch, cf.)

Thank you for confirming! And yeah, with how common bar events are now, it might take a while for the others to randomly show up.

Although the Depths riddles are very fun and I want more like that, I like the long term potential world-building impacts in the Riley storyline the most. It's just so personal and touching by comparison to vanilla; in a game where Crew is a commodity and the main plotline is certified weapons-grade High-Concept Sci-Fi Rigmarole, having some human emotion and natural-feeling backstory is like opening a window in an abattoir.

That is a large part of what I was going for, so that's great to hear. Makes the sector feel a bit more like it has people in it, not just Population.

Also, I wanted to ask, how does the Depths quest choose a target world? It happened to pick a Decivilized Subpopulation Terran world in literally the best system in the sector (tons of planets, nearly all the right market conditions represented), so the text made enough sense talking about the locals. Same system had a research station with a Biofactory Embryo. Free Port enabled. Part of me is wondering if the mod alters the system, or if it has criteria that helps it pick a really good one naturally?

No alteration, you just got lucky! All it does is look for specific planet types and prioritize decivved, then uncolonized planets.

Here's the actual code...it's somewhat readable? Maybe?

Code

val DEPTHS_PLANET_TYPES = listOf(
        "terran",
        "terran-eccentric",
        "water",
        "US_water", // Unknown Skies
        "US_waterB", // Unknown Skies
        "US_continent" // Unknown Skies
    )

game.sector.starSystemsAllowedForQuests // Avoid blacklisted systems
                .filter { it.id != playersCurrentStarSystem?.id }
                .filter { system -> system.solidPlanets.any { planet -> planet.typeId in DEPTHS_PLANET_TYPES } }
                .prefer { it.distanceFromPlayerInHyperspace > minimumDistanceFromPlayerInLightYearsToPlaceDepthsPlanet }
                .sortedBy { it.distanceFromCenterOfSector }
                .flatMap { it.solidPlanets }
                .prefer { it.faction.id == Factions.NEUTRAL } // Uncolonized planets
                .filter { planet -> planet.typeId in DEPTHS_PLANET_TYPES }
                .toList()
                .run {
                    // Take all planets from the top half of the list,
                    // which is sorted by proximity to the center.
                    val possibles = this.take((this.size / 2).coerceAtLeast(1))

WeightedRandomPicker<PlanetAPI>().apply {
                        possibles.forEach { planet ->
                            when {
                                planet.market?.hasCondition(Conditions.DECIVILIZED) == true -> {
                                    game.logger.i { "Adding decivved planet ${planet.fullName} in ${planet.starSystem.baseName} to Depths candidate list" }
                                    add(planet, 3f)
                                }
                                planet.market?.size == 0 -> {
                                    game.logger.i { "Adding uninhabited planet ${planet.fullName} in ${planet.starSystem.baseName} to Depths candidate list" }
                                    add(planet, 2f)
                                }
                                else -> {
                                    game.logger.i { "Adding planet ${planet.fullName} in ${planet.starSystem.baseName} to Depths candidate list" }
                                    add(planet, 1f)
                                }
                            }
                        }
                    }
                        .pick()!!
                }
Mod: Persean Chronicles | Mod Manager: SMOL | Tool: VRAM Estimator | Tool: Forum+Discord Mod Database | If I'm inactive for 3 months, anyone can use any of my work for anything (except selling it or its derivatives).

Maelstrom

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2022, 09:45:56 PM »

1065312 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
   at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
   at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
   at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
   at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
   at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
   at org.wisp.stories.dangerousGames.pt1_dragons.Dragons_Stage1_BarEvent.<init>(Dragons_Stage1_BarEvent.kt:61)
   at org.wisp.stories.dangerousGames.pt1_dragons.DragonsPart1_BarEventCreator.create BarEvent(Dragons_Stage1_BarEvent.kt:91)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.intel.bar.events.BarEventManager.advance(BarEventManager.java:257)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignState.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I am assuming this mod is the cause

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2022, 11:25:34 PM »

It is not the cause, but here is the fix:

Crash: "PermGen space"
This is unrelated to how much system memory you have or how much memory you've allocated via vmparams.

Basically, every time a piece of code is loaded by the game, information about that piece of code goes into a reserved part of memory called PermGen.
Only a small amount of space is reserved for this, by default.
So, if you have enough mods, you'll load so many pieces of code that it'll run out of space to store information about the code.

Your options are to either:
A) Tell it to reserve more PermGen space.
B) Use Java 8, which fixes the issue. Java 8 has other performance benefits that are good, too, such as preventing the post-battle slowdown.

For option A, add/set  -XX:PermSize=512m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m to your vmparams file, near to the existing Xmx values. Exact position doesn't matter.
For option B, look for the pinned guide in #modded_gameplay on updating to JRE 8.
https://discord.com/channels/187635036525166592/512356777451323393/894702930987466852
Mod: Persean Chronicles | Mod Manager: SMOL | Tool: VRAM Estimator | Tool: Forum+Discord Mod Database | If I'm inactive for 3 months, anyone can use any of my work for anything (except selling it or its derivatives).

Maelstrom

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2022, 11:23:46 AM »

It is not the cause, but here is the fix:

Crash: "PermGen space"
This is unrelated to how much system memory you have or how much memory you've allocated via vmparams.

Basically, every time a piece of code is loaded by the game, information about that piece of code goes into a reserved part of memory called PermGen.
Only a small amount of space is reserved for this, by default.
So, if you have enough mods, you'll load so many pieces of code that it'll run out of space to store information about the code.

Your options are to either:
A) Tell it to reserve more PermGen space.
B) Use Java 8, which fixes the issue. Java 8 has other performance benefits that are good, too, such as preventing the post-battle slowdown.

For option A, add/set  -XX:PermSize=512m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m to your vmparams file, near to the existing Xmx values. Exact position doesn't matter.
For option B, look for the pinned guide in #modded_gameplay on updating to JRE 8.
https://discord.com/channels/187635036525166592/512356777451323393/894702930987466852

Ah, my bad, forgot to do this after I updated to 0.95.1a xD
thx!

vok3

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2022, 06:52:00 PM »

I just want to note that my initial reaction to Riley was "oh geez some lame waifu no I definitely don't want to hang out with this is just a job ma'am no stop spamming me I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR FEELINGS okay finally just gimme the cash and go".

Then I finally got around to pretending to actually care about her old man.

Oh.

OH.

Well, I know how my Pather characters will handle this.  In fact, I admire and approve that you put that option in there.  That's proper characterization, that is.

This strikes me as being something that should definitely have further long-term consequences.  Like, if you don't do the Pather or loyal upstanding Hegemonist things, what next?  Seems to me that coming back a few years later and having the planet suddenly have the "rogue core" property would make a lot of sense.  And/or maybe a handful of random tips on blueprints or something from an untraceable source.  Alternatively, if you do the Pather thing, a few years later when you've nearly forgotten about it suddenly this revenge fleet pops out of nowhere, the commander a recognizable figure screaming bloody vengeance.  Or you could organize a Tri-Tach kidnap/steal operation.  Or ...

The whole thing just feels like it is setting up conditions for a much bigger series of subsequent events, and how those events play out will be strongly influenced by seemingly innocuous choices here.

Karengo is fun to hang out with.  My one regret where he's concerned is that it's limited.  But the only thing I can think of to address that would be making him some sort of mission agent with specifically exploration missions, but drawing on a set of somewhat custom descriptions.  I don't know if that would be interesting enough to justify itself.

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2022, 12:13:36 PM »

No plans at the moment for more Riley quests, but I'm amenable to it.

Lots more Karengo stuff is on the way, though. Just...very very slowly.

So far, I have roughly 4500 words written and am maybe 2/3 of the way through; the released content has a bit over 7000 words total for all quests, so at this rate the new stuff will be close to doubling the word count of the mod (not that word count is any measure of quality, of course).

More excitingly, there are a couple of new ships planned, which are mostly sprited and partially implemented with vfx.

One of the goals of this new quest is to be more than "read a bunch of text, fly somewhere, read more text, and get credits." There will be battles, a new ability, new weapons, and the aforementioned ships. And, of course, a lot of reading.

Karengo will still be limited to a side character in a static story, as opposed to a mission contact. Exploration missions given by him is a neat idea, though, I'll write that down, but overall we gamers see a lot of generated content and, no matter how well hidden it is, the pattern becomes clear after a while and it kind of breaks the illusion of a character's personality.

No ETA on all of this. I tend to work in fits and starts and have been working on this for over a year now without much to show for the last few months. Being disciplined is hard :)

brandonvortex

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2022, 03:01:06 AM »

This quest is actually fun, im actually really intresthing if you somewhere make a bad decision and it comes back bite you, like for example, leaving the dragon raiders to their death if you left them behind option gonna have a consequence later on, example that one of the dragonriders somehow survive and manage to escape to space trying to find you and exact an vengence for their comrades that were killed all because you made a bad choice, stuff like this makes starsector fun.

NoCleverness

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2023, 12:20:29 PM »

The Karengo missions are my favorite. The deep sea one led me to the perfect system for colonization, and now I produce something like 40% of the Sector's food.

mllhild

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2023, 10:39:38 AM »

Thanks, this sounds quite nice. Starsector really needs to work on its characters/companions a lot more.
to be done some day... XD

SeaSickSpartan1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2023, 05:35:48 AM »

I love Persean chronicles, Karengo took me to a planet that ended up causing me to become an intergalactic drug dealer(long story), with 27% market share of drugs and 26% market share of heavy weapons, which made me an enemy of every "civil" faction. That led to an intergalactic war where I lost my whole fleet sans one OP supercapital carrier which I renamed death and am currently using to exterminate every world that took my perfectly crafted ships from me. Maybe they were right to try and stop me, but I digress, my most entertaining run in months was solely caused by your quests, and you deserve major praise for that! Big ups to you and your work!

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2023, 08:15:17 AM »

Thank you! It's funny to me how the part I focus on the least - the colony drug modifier - is one of the most important things about the mod. Makes perfect sense, of course, as gameplay effects are always very important, whereas story/lore stuff is largely secondary.

Still working on the next questline. I can't promise it'll be the highest quality, or the most fun, or the most interesting, but it'll at least be the longest and most varied! And whatever else, the new ships are fun, I think. Unique super-ships with very high maneuverability and damage but paper hulls; your typical glass cannon. The visual effects are pretty, too, if I do say so myself.

Ship teaser:
Spoiler
[close]

Stimky

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Persean Chronicles (updated 2021-2-26)
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2023, 12:06:45 PM »

Always excited for new quest mods, much rarer than ship/weapon mods. Will this expand with more quests later?

Yes, that's the plan. I'd like to add more interesting rewards and campaign-level interactions, things beyond text, in the future. Hopefully build on from some of the current quests based on the decisions you made. Add some interesting stuff to find scattered around that's nothing lengthy, just "huh, that's interesting" moments. Lots of ideas. It took me a year to finish this much, though, so we'll see how long this takes me, plus Story Points are coming.

edit: Also, I agree; the lack of story-based mods was what led me to create this. I recycled some content I'd written for an unreleased Endless Sky mod (Dragons and Depths), finished it up, adapted it for Starsector, and wrote a few other quests. Figured this was a good time to release it and get feedback before getting too far with more quests.

I knew it! While playing this mod's missions, I did think "woah, these missions feel and sound a lot like as if they are from Endless Sky", and so considered may have been intentional, to either give them a similar feeling, or them taking inspiration from it, haha. Didn't expect them though to be actually directly straight out of an unreleased mod for it. Pretty neat!

MrTwister

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2023, 12:20:46 AM »

Does this work ok with the game in progress or needs a new game?

Looks like what i was looking for.

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2023, 07:44:43 AM »

Does this work ok with the game in progress or needs a new game?

Looks like what i was looking for.

It can be added to an existing game and you'll see all content.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10