Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: [0.97a] Persean Chronicles, a quest mod  (Read 132837 times)

Wispborne

• Captain
  • Discord: wispborne
    • View Profile
[0.97a] Persean Chronicles, a quest mod
« on: February 20, 2021, 11:09:33 AM »

v3.0.9
A collection of one-off quests.

Download

3.0.9 is a compatibility update with no other changes.
The next update will be 3.1.0 and contain the next part of the Telos arc.

requires LazyLib 2.8 or later
requires MagicLib 1.1.3 or later
All updates are save-compatible unless the first number changes (1.1.x to 1.2.x is ok, but 1.x.x to 2.x.x is not).
May be added to existing saves, but not removed afterwards.

Source CodePrevious Versions

To get started, simply check around at bars.

Features
- Over 7,000 11,000 words.
- Various degrees of branching stories (nothing too wild, but some quests can end differently or even base your rewards on your decisions).
- A unique ship (Telos quest).
- Custom music (Depths & Telos quests).
- No anime.
2022 edit: or catgirls.
2023 edit: or shipgirls.

Quests
- Karengo (questline)
  - Dragons: A expedition takes you up close and personal with some wildlife.
  - Depths: Following 'Dragons', an expedition takes you deep underwater.
  - Telos: Following 'Depths', you investigate an extinct mini-faction - and their ships.
      - Nexerelin's random systems (Corvus Mode) is not supported for 'Telos' and the quest will not appear.
      - Will be released in three phases; only the first phase is out currently.
- Riley: A woman books a ride with your fleet to visit family.
- Nirvana: Some scientists need you to perform a cargo delivery.
- Laborer: A down-on-his-luck worker wants off-world.

Ship
Telos Frigate
[close]

Writing Samples
Dragons
A cheer goes up from the men, especially the drunk ones. Karengo starts to hand out death and accident waivers and to collect money for the expedition. Suddenly, his expression darkens and he cocks his head, listening to an earpiece. "Listen up!" he yells, "Seems my regular pilot got in the way of some disreputable folk! We need ourselves a ship and a captain to bring this lot to Jangala! Who's brave enough? Who else wants to make history?"

> "Captain Wisp, at your service. We leave at dawn!"

You wake up significantly after dawn with empty bottles and unconscious men strewn all over the ship's mess hall. Karengo peels himself off the floor and offers you a crooked smile, shielding his eyes from the light. "Alright, Wisp," he says, "let's do this."
[close]
Riley
On the way, she told you stories of her past, mostly of time shared with her father.
As a young teen, they spent summers riding horse mechs through the forest, looking for beehives to steal honey from; At age 19, she broke her ankle hoverboarding a restricted mountain peak. Her father rescued her, avoiding the police to hike up with a medical kit; She talks about his wild birthday gifts to her each year, always a different piece of clothing with embedded AI that was just beyond what was technically allowed by law.
As you watch, she shows how her shirt warms and constricts if it detects stress, mimicking a hug.

She doesn't mention it, but it's clear she is concerned that she'll arrive too late to say goodbye.
[close]
Nirvana
"Are you Captain Wisp, captain of the Kestrel?" asks one of the men, and when you nod in confirmation they all grin. "Allow me to introduce myself. I'm David Rengel, and these are my associates, Fiona Jeffrey and Mike Robbins. We are members of a scientific team in the employ of the Nirvana Stellar Engineering company, perhaps you have heard of it?"
[close]
Telos
At last, the corridor levels out and flares into a small amphitheater. Low, padded benches are arranged in a scattered circle. A blue crest hangs at the far end, with the word ‘TELOS’ embossed beneath. The room is minimally decorated, even accounting for the seismic devastation from the bombardment. Sheaves of paper, music stands and paintings of paradise worlds litter the cracked floor.

Splayed across the benches are a dozen desiccated bodies. Even in death, they are holding hands, as if in silent prayer.

Karengo sweeps past the scene to a door on the far side and steps through. "Here's what we came for!" he calls. Stepping back out, he hands you one of two capped syringes, the contents gray.

<paragraph redacted>

> "I'm gonna need to know a lot more."
> "Right after you."
> Wait until later
>> Inject yourself <<

You sink the plunger deep into your right leg. The gray liquid drains from the barrel and you feel a wave of cold spreading from the site. Karengo watches intently, uncharacteristically quiet, as you take a seat on a stair and wait.

You black out.
[close]

Quests & Starting Conditions (minor spoilers)
Spoiler
- Riley: Starts from a planet with pop 6 or greater.
- Karengo I - Dragons: Starts from a planet with pop 5 or greater.
- Karengo II - Depths: Starts from a planet with pop 5 or greater and 30 days after successfully completing Dragons.
- Karengo III - Telos: Starts from an Independent planet with pop 5 or greater and 30 days after successfully completing Depths.
  - Nexerelin's Random Mode (Corvus Mode) is not supported for Telos and the quest will not show up.
  - The bar prompt for this is "Delivery to Earth".
- Nirvana: Starts from an Independent planet with pop 4 or greater once you are at least level 8 (ie not a nobody).
- Laborer: Starts from a planet with pop 3 or greater and the Mining industry.
[close]

Bugs? Suggestions? Questions? Want me to talk about why you should be coding in Kotlin instead of Java until you can't take it any more? Ping me on Discord @wispborne, or just leave a comment in this thread.

Changelog
https://github.com/wispborne/persean-chronicles/blob/HEAD/changelog.md

Known Issues
- After the Telos fight, your fleet may appear to fly sideways on the campaign layer. This is purely visual and fixes itself after a fight.
- After the Telos fight, all battle sizes are small. This is fixed by saving and restarting the game.
- If other mods add systems with hostile patrolling fleets, those systems may still be chosen as quest targets.

Current Priorities
- Finishing Phase 2 of the Telos questline, which includes a new ship, tons of dialog, a new ability, new music, and more.
- My modding time is balanced between Persean Chronicles, SMOL, MagicLib, the unofficial mod database, and working on a new comparison tool, so progress is slow (plus, I'm slow).

Other Mod Authors
Supports modSettings.json for blacklisting systems.

Credits
Avanitia for proof-reading and providing an incredible amount of feedback.
Selkie for Telos ship sprites (creator of many boats).
Nia for Telos effects and sprites (master of effects).
SleepyFish for Telos sprites (transparency consultant).
Haplogynae for Telos music.
MesoTroniK for Depths music.
Inventor Raccoon for Secrets of the Frontier, which was a light in the darkness of 0.95a questbuilding.
Market condition code in Depths inspired by Tartiflette's Unknown Skies.
President Matt Damon for code help.
Many others on Discord for help, support, reports, and being a motivating community
And of course Fractal Softworks for this incredible game

"AI" Generated Content
- The NPC portraits were created using SeverianVoid's LoRa and the RPG v4 checkpoint (and then hand-edited by me, poorly).
- Illustrations (images shown during dialog) were created using MidJourney (and then hand-edited by me, poorly).

License
- Everything except music and images: GPLv3.
- Music & Images, including ships, excluding AI art: Do not use any part of without permission, do not redistribute without permission.
- AI content: use however you want, I don't own it.
- Music may be used with the permission of the artist, without needing my permission.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 12:04:15 PM by Wispborne »
Mod: Persean Chronicles | Mod Manager: SMOL | Tool: VRAM Estimator | Tool: Forum+Discord Mod Database | If I'm inactive for 3 months, anyone can use any of my work for anything (except selling it or its derivatives).

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Persean Chronicles (released 2021-2-20)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 12:03:00 PM »

Hints for the SPOILERs in the SPOILER quest.
Only read on if you are stuck.

Spoiler
Note that answering riddles incorrectly will not result in quest failure.

Riddle 1
Spoiler
No other path may you take
Oiled skins flash and flicker
Razer spikes grow from the deep
Titanic walls crush and smash
Heed the beginnings to live

Focus on the last line and the words of the riddle itself, rather than trying to figure out any meaning from the riddle.
[close]

Riddle 2
Spoiler
There are stingers in the deep
A certain death, a dreamless sleep.
Go to beast that has no bee
No danger there, just open sea.

"Bee" and the letter "b" are homophones, meaning that they sound the same. Try reading that line again but swapping those words.
[close]

Riddle 3
Spoiler
To the north and to the east
Track my movements like a beast.
A quick turn right and forward on,
Come toward me where danger's gone

Try to follow the path described in your head, or draw it if that helps.
[close]

[close]
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 07:01:15 PM by Wispborne »
Mod: Persean Chronicles | Mod Manager: SMOL | Tool: VRAM Estimator | Tool: Forum+Discord Mod Database | If I'm inactive for 3 months, anyone can use any of my work for anything (except selling it or its derivatives).

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 10:06:25 PM »

Oh, story mod! Fantastic!

Does this use the library you were working on for a backend?

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 08:14:24 AM »

Oh, story mod! Fantastic!

Does this use the library you were working on for a backend?

It does! That can be found here: https://github.com/wispborne/questgiver although the readme is probably a little out of date.
Here's what the beginning of the Nirvana quest looks like, in code:

Code: kotlin
class Nirvana_Stage1_BarEvent : AutoBarEventDefinition<Nirvana_Stage1_BarEvent>(
    questFacilitator = NirvanaQuest,
    createInteractionPrompt = {
        para { game.text["nirv_stg1_prompt"] }
    },
    onInteractionStarted = { },
    textToStartInteraction = { game.text["nirv_stg1_startBarEvent"] },
    pages = listOf(
        Page(
            id = 1,
            onPageShown = {
                para { game.text["nirv_stg1_pg1_para1"] }
                para { game.text["nirv_stg1_pg1_para2"] }
                para { game.text["nirv_stg1_pg1_para3"] }
            },
            options = listOf(
                Option(
                    // accept
                    text = { game.text["nirv_stg1_pg1_opt1"] },
                    onOptionSelected = {
                        it.goToPage(2)
                    }
                ),
                Option(
                    // decline
                    text = { game.text["nirv_stg1_pg1_opt2"] },
                    onOptionSelected = { navigator ->
                        navigator.close(doNotOfferAgain = false)
                    }
                )
            )
        ),

I had a lot of unique bugs caused by how complex I made this, hehe.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 02:56:40 PM by Wispborne »

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 06:01:17 PM »

Just wanted to post a thank you for pointing me toward your mod in my story content question. I've really enjoyed the story so far but I do have one question. Are the quests faction related? I am currently playing a faction that is friendly with the Hegemony so I was able to do the passenger quest but will I get the quest or if so turn it in if I am playing a faction hostile to them?

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 07:31:15 PM »

Just wanted to post a thank you for pointing me toward your mod in my story content question. I've really enjoyed the story so far but I do have one question. Are the quests faction related? I am currently playing a faction that is friendly with the Hegemony so I was able to do the passenger quest but will I get the quest or if so turn it in if I am playing a faction hostile to them?

Glad to hear it!
They are not faction-related. You can always turn them in, no matter your relations with the faction controlling the world.

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Persean Chronicles (updated 2021-2-26)
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 04:25:26 PM »

1.0.1 (2020-02-26)

Added
    - More robust blacklisting and whitelisting. (see https://starsector.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Modding#Persean_Chronicles)
Changed
    - Slightly different text for Dragons if ending planet is hostile.
Fixed
    - Quests should no longer be offered from blacklisted locations.

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 04:19:48 PM »

Always excited for new quest mods, much rarer than ship/weapon mods. Will this expand with more quests later?
Afflictor bean plushie that glows purple when you squeeze it
30$

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 04:45:18 PM »

Always excited for new quest mods, much rarer than ship/weapon mods. Will this expand with more quests later?

Yes, that's the plan. I'd like to add more interesting rewards and campaign-level interactions, things beyond text, in the future. Hopefully build on from some of the current quests based on the decisions you made. Add some interesting stuff to find scattered around that's nothing lengthy, just "huh, that's interesting" moments. Lots of ideas. It took me a year to finish this much, though, so we'll see how long this takes me, plus Story Points are coming.

edit: Also, I agree; the lack of story-based mods was what led me to create this. I recycled some content I'd written for an unreleased Endless Sky mod (Dragons and Depths), finished it up, adapted it for Starsector, and wrote a few other quests. Figured this was a good time to release it and get feedback before getting too far with more quests.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 04:47:59 PM by Wispborne »

Chikanuk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 01:23:23 AM »

Good job, quest mods is a rare thing in this game. Honestly i always wished for Space Rangers-type text quest in Starsector, hope will see this in some day.

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
  • The Deployer of John Lennon's.
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Persean Chronicles, a quest mod (updated 2021-2-26)
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 10:08:31 AM »

VNSector, the possibilities are endless.
"Kids under 13 shouldn't have access to the internet. if 10yo me were on tumblr and read about suicide and depression 5 hours a day, every day, god knows i would jump off a bridge if my parents ever yell at me."

-Some random Youtube comment on video about Sonic OC.

Stealth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2021, 11:10:30 AM »

Hey i know that this question doesnt regard you mod, but how did you do that github download counter widget thing?
"it is what it is"  ~me every 30 seconds

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2021, 11:24:26 AM »

Hey i know that this question doesnt regard you mod, but how did you do that github download counter widget thing?

https://shields.io/category/downloads

Code:
Code
[url=https://github.com/wispborne/persean-chronicles][img]https://img.shields.io/github/downloads/wispborne/persean-chronicles/1.0.1/total?color=blue&logo=github[/img][/url]
[url=https://github.com/wispborne/persean-chronicles][img]https://img.shields.io/github/downloads/wispborne/persean-chronicles/total?color=blue&logo=github&label=downloads%40total[/img][/url]

You can also hit "Reply" to a post and it'll show you the "code" used to write the post :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 09:11:48 PM by Wispborne »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2021, 11:31:34 AM »

Neat mod! Definitely worthwhile to have more quests around.

The only serious quibble I've got is that the quests could probably use some sort of lockout or reduced frequency - after installing the mod, I happened to stop at a large independent planet with mining and instantly got four quests; it'd feel better if they were spaced out a bit more.

Though, along the lines of changing text for the Dragons quest if the planet is hostile, I'll note that I usually run with Nexerelin random mode enabled, and in that context, both Dragons and Depths quests will frequently end up heading for uninhabited or decivilized planets.

The quest icons are nice, too; I'm not sure if the image resolutions work out, but if they do, would it be possible to get a few extra faction flags along similar lines?
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2021, 12:22:28 PM »

> and instantly got four quests; it'd feel better if they were spaced out a bit more.
Thanks, good feedback. I'll look into a way to spread out the quest offerings a bit more. Maybe simply player level.

> Dragons and Depths quests will frequently end up heading for uninhabited or decivilized planets
Oops, I should add a case for uninhabited planets for Depths.
Dragons, though, should already have a different result if the planet is uncolonized, though (it won't mention anything about tourist areas or law enforcement). Let me know if that's not working for you.

> The quest icons are nice, too; I'm not sure if the image resolutions work out, but if they do, would it be possible to get a few extra faction flags along similar lines?
Can you expand on what you mean by this?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10