Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Buff the Hyperion  (Read 6685 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Buff the Hyperion
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2021, 10:13:09 AM »

Is that something you can get around with certain skills? Ie. those that change the condition of the zero-flux bonus.

Yep! Definitely an area where the player will have an edge over AI control, though.

Sounds like exact type of ships what fighters love to swarm and destroy. Also 2 medium slots is good, but low speed and lack of range will made him easy target in late game, imho.
Also dunno how he will fight vs even 2 frigates, since he will be relatively slow and easy to flank.

Yeah, it's countered pretty hard by fighters if they can catch it. But on the other hand it could blow up an undefended carrier in seconds.

Two frigates wouldn't be a problem - teleport onto one, take it out, then handle the other. Well, it depends on the kind of frigate, I suppose. A pair of Omens would be tough to handle; basically anything that can't be bursted down.

But, again, that's very much intentional. This ship is a team player and needs support to both set it up and cover its weaknesses. In exchange, it can really hammer things.

I can see heavy needler in the universal.  Not sure what I would use for energies.  (Energy has terrible efficiency.)

Keep in mind that how much efficiency matters - and what good/bad efficiency means in the first place - is a function of the ship's flux stats, along with what mounts if has. In particular the new Hyperion has a very good ratio of flux per mount.

It does count its bay toward the limit, does it?  If I load up on Tempests, it impacts the fighter bonuses my other carriers may get.  And with its design and OP total, getting that hullmod that removes the bay and adds cargo does not seem like a good idea on Tempest.  (It needs the drones for PD.)

It does, yeah, if you have those skills.

New Hyperion is going to be basically a super Brawler. I am fine with those changes (mainly because I didn't like old Hyperion and phase ships' playstyle), but the new teleport AI is probably more exciting.

I feel like that's kind of like my comparison with an extreme phase ship - true in some sense, and I definitely see where you're coming from. But much like it doesn't play like phase ships, it also doesn't play like the Brawler. The teleporter is just too style-defining for either analogy to truly hold.

Safety Override Hyperion let's goooooo!

... now I kind of want to try that. I think it might actually be viable, if you go all-out on PPT boosters! And it'd be glorious, regardless.

I really like the change. With the teleporter change and new weapon layout, the playstyle is definitely going to be much more aggressive. I can already imagine some interesting builds : Triple heavy blaster, ion pulsers with a typhoon, phase lances with a HMG... And many more possibilities. Yep, looking good, i'm happy with that.

:D

(Ion Pulsers + Typhoon is actually the default "Strike" loadout! Triple Ion was surprisingly good, too, with expanded mags.)

Hyperion still has low PPT, and PPT is high priority in big long slogs late in the game.  Hardened Subsystems alone only puts it on par with Wolf or Tempest without it, and frigates do not have enough PPT for big fights.

(As I said earlier, you can get up to +4 minutes or so of PPT on frigates if you go all-out...)

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2021, 10:42:33 AM »

My first instinct would be heavy needler + ion pulser + heavy blaster. That might require SO to be good, or downgrading the heavy blaster to a phase lance or something, but with ion pulser buffs, I bet it would be terrifying.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2021, 11:06:45 AM »

(Ion Pulsers + Typhoon is actually the default "Strike" loadout! Triple Ion was surprisingly good, too, with expanded mags.)
Buffed Ion Pulsers are pretty good.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2021, 12:30:51 PM »

They really, really are. As long as the ship can close the range, Ion Pulsers are very dangerous weapons with the buff.

pairedeciseaux

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2021, 12:42:26 PM »

New toy incoming, yay!

In a previous message I compared current Hyperion to Wolf. Now I wonder how this “Hyperion heavy frigate” will compare to the existing “Medusa fast destroyer” and the upcoming “Fury light cruiser”. Hopefully the heavy frigate won’t feel sluggish compared to the fast destroyer. In any case, all of those ships having distinct gameplay is good news.

Also I wonder about the adjusted AI, will it still jump to face enemy ship’s engines? Together with Ion Pulsers and Typhoon, I can imagine it jumping to the back of an Onslaught, disabling its engines and rear guns, sending a torpedo, disabling its engines and rear guns, sending a torpedo, repeat 3 more times (or 8 more times with Expanded Missile Racks, CR allowing). This reminds me of the (old version) crazy Terminator drone + Tempest harassing their prey until dead in a permanent micro ion storm. :P Hopefully new Hyperion won’t be as crazy.

Looking forward to try loadouts with updated Ion Pulser on existing ships too.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2021, 07:55:07 AM »

I'm going HMG with two Lances.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]