Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: If I buy now and this game goes to steam will I get a steam key free?  (Read 3460 times)

FullAutoAttack

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I don't know if there are plan to go on steam but if there are or this game does do people who bought the game here get a free steam key?

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: If I buy now and this game goes to steam will I get a steam key free?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 02:34:23 AM »

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=5934.0 While this thread is very old now, I think Alex still says pretty much the same thing whenever this question gets asked.
Please don't take me too seriously.

FullAutoAttack

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 02:24:00 PM »

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=5934.0 While this thread is very old now, I think Alex still says pretty much the same thing whenever this question gets asked.

Ah ok, good enough for me.

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 10:49:22 AM »

Personally, I just intend to buy a second copy on Steam even if I were to get a free key. (Which I'd just donate to some friend.)

Because by now, the game has given me my money's worth many times over anyway.

Saint Mattis

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 01:55:01 PM »

I've waited long enough, I wanted to wait for Steam but if I have to buy it twice I will.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 02:05:15 PM »

Rimworld had an issue with this and steam. Steam was fine giving keys but they got annoyed that they were promised during a time inbetween going on Steam/being independent (which is why Alex wisely won't do that). There was a cutoff date between which no keys for Steam would be given for direct purchases announced. I believe the dev was specifically requested to stop saying Steam keys would be given in that case.

Steam does this because they won't get a cut of those sales and it's like getting all the good Steam does without paying for it.

Based on Steams history I'd say it's safe to assume we will get keys, when/if Alex puts this on Steam. Steam benefits from more traffic regardless so it's in their interest to do it. But promising it would be a very bad move.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 02:08:23 PM by Locklave »

Flying Dice

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 03:40:35 PM »

Yeah, that's pretty much the common-sense takeaway. It probably makes sense for Steam to okay that, but Alex can't guarantee that they will. In either case that won't happen for years to come, the game is only $15 (and a steal at that), and TBH DRM-free downloads that treat the game as a physical product you own forever are so rare that it's nice to have the option.