Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: More difficulty options  (Read 1105 times)

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
More difficulty options
« on: February 08, 2021, 05:56:24 AM »

Sliders to decide how much damage is taken

how much damage player/everyone takes

how much ammo weapons carry

how much flux is generated/dissipated

how fast/if CR drops/exists

how much fuel is used to move around

how high tariffs go

how quickly faction standing changes and in what direction
(make it harder to build up standing but easier to lose standing)

make it all range from:
0: feature basically doesn't affect gameplay
1: normal feature effect
2: doubled feature effect
and have it increment by 10% anywhere between these points

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
  • The Deployer of John Lennon's.
    • View Profile
Re: More difficulty options
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 03:06:05 AM »

I prefer AI and campaign change over stat change any day, and changing how ship fundamentally work I think it's a hard task to do, maybe force every ship to have Hard Mode hullmods that change flux, CR, and Ammo to make it easier to program but how the AI will handle it? It's already had a hard time with certain ship, the only solution probably making the ship design even simpler to make the AI behave more intelligently. Long range laser glass canon builds will be meta since you deal more damage and the enemy cannot even reach you thanks to the Advanced Targeting Unit and not rewarding player who make SO or more dangerous build. Not to mention how it will change the lore surrounding it.

IMO Starsector taking the right decision here, the game have no difficulty options, making everyone have the same upside and downside, and Iron Mode as default mode in the future release. Making it more immersive since you're nobody after all, you will fail as everybody else, what matter is how fast you carry on.

If you want you can try Ruthless Sector and Starfarer Mode, it's more or less make the game harder without fundamentally changing anything, for example having 10 capital ships is no longer viable because how little money you make, supplies and fuel will kill you first, in a way it's already changing the fuel and supplies economy. And fully upgraded colony is an open invitation to the invader because everybody hates you more and the faction you aligned with. Both make the game harder without cheap stats changing or multiplier.

Nexerelin
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=9175.0

Ruthless
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=15279.0
"Kids under 13 shouldn't have access to the internet. if 10yo me were on tumblr and read about suicide and depression 5 hours a day, every day, god knows i would jump off a bridge if my parents ever yell at me."

-Some random Youtube comment on video about Sonic OC.

sector_terror

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: More difficulty options
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 11:02:33 PM »

I'm always a fan of complex difficulty options. Really let the player go wild you know? so I can concur with this.

As a note: changing how "easy" mode effects damage and the like is already in place in settings files. If you want to dissuade bars and difficulty like that, leaving these in setting.jsm for people to find and make use of, just with more options, is a fine idea for me.