Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Super Degenerate Portrait Pack Compilation  (Read 14441 times)

Regularity

• Commander
    • View Profile
Super Degenerate Portrait Pack Compilation
« on: February 02, 2021, 04:01:22 PM »

Where do I get it?
<download link removed -Alex>

What is this?
1600 anime-style portraits. It's a merger of basically of every anime-themed portrait pack I could find for Starsector merged into one pack, and just a little bit of curation to remove some of the more blatant outliers in quality/size/etc to make the art slightly more consistent.

Why?
I've been modifying the portrait packs I downloaded to remove outliers in quality and size. Additionally, I've noticed many, perhaps most, mod packs only support vanilla factions and do not include support for most modded factions. I corrected this... but only after a lot of effort in figuring out how. I figured sharing it would save other users a similar struggle. And then I merged them together because I figured it's easier to have one big pack instead of many little ones.

What's in it?
Contains elements from the following existing packs, with credits to their respective authors:
Customization Instructions
This mod will attempt to add the portraits to every possible faction, including almost every mod in existence that's been updated to 0.9.1a. You can manually opt out certain factions from the modpack by going to Starsector\mods\Super Degenerate Portrait Pack\data\world\factions directory and deleting the respective faction file. Since deleting a file is far less work than creating one, I opted all factions in by default.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 01:06:31 PM by Alex »

connortron7

• Captain
  • "God has cursed me for my hubris" - brian gilbert
    • View Profile
Re: Super Degenerate Portrait Pack Compilation
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 05:24:46 PM »

Im gonna do more then manually opt out and say don't put them in anvil/blackjack or exalted from the start

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 10:16:20 PM »

I would like to politely request that you do not add these portraits to Tiandong Heavy Industries, and also suggest you strongly consider your position regarding adding other mods by default as well.

Contains elements from the following existing packs, with credits to their respective authors:
Blah blah other mods listed here
I mean to be truthful here, *none* of those mods made any of those portraits so they are all, to say it nicely... "Borrowed". Which is one of several reasons I am asking you to not add them to THI.

Regularity

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 11:08:04 PM »

With respect, players are free to customize their own game as they wish (obviously, insofar as no laws are broken and no one is harmed). I've merely given players the option to change something, if they so desire, and it seems quite... demanding to try and outright ban them from even having the option. They are free to do as they wish with their own game, be it replaced all the sounds with loud farts, turn everything pink, or replace all the avatars with cartoon ducks. Yes, even if it goes against your creative vision and you detest the color pink.

Additionally I should point out this mod contains absolutely no code, images, or any other assets taken from your mods. Just as you can add to or modify elements of the Starsector game without getting the developer's permission, so to are others allowed to modify your work as long as they aren't re-uploading any assets from the mods themselves.

I mean to be truthful here, *none* of those mods made any of those portraits so they are all, to say it nicely... "Borrowed". Which is one of several reasons I am asking you to not add them to THI.

While the portraits themselves come from other sources, it should go without saying that other portrait packs have remained on the site for years and years without being removed, so I think that sets a precedent that it's something acceptable. I suspect that if any of them were in violation of any rules, they would have been scrubbed away long ago rather than remain up. (Along with nearly every user's forum avatars as well, I suspect!)

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 12:12:30 AM »

With respect, I am asking you. Nicely, to please not add your loli images to my mod. Is that really so much to ask for? I really would prefer to not get into a general legality / morality / ethical discussion here but I could do it if it came to that, you are making it really easy. Anyways instead I am just asking you to remove your additions to my own work, please :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 09:51:26 AM »

With respect, players are free to customize their own game as they wish (obviously, insofar as no laws are broken and no one is harmed). I've merely given players the option to change something, if they so desire, and it seems quite... demanding to try and outright ban them from even having the option. They are free to do as they wish with their own game, be it replaced all the sounds with loud farts, turn everything pink, or replace all the avatars with cartoon ducks. Yes, even if it goes against your creative vision and you detest the color pink.

Additionally I should point out this mod contains absolutely no code, images, or any other assets taken from your mods. Just as you can add to or modify elements of the Starsector game without getting the developer's permission, so to are others allowed to modify your work as long as they aren't re-uploading any assets from the mods themselves.

While this is true for one's own version of the game, publicly distributed mods are something else again. Mods are allowed to make changes to Starsector's gameplay/art/etc because the license allows for it, with some limitations, so giving permission *is* indeed involved. (Look up "moral rights" if you're curious about the broader topic.)

But, legality aside, "not making changes to someone else's mod that they specifically asked you not to" is just baseline respect for the integrity of the work of the other modders - whether it technically involves using assets from the mod or not. I ask that you please respect these requests, as I would likewise ask others to respect your original work.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 01:08:32 PM by Alex »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 01:07:10 PM »

I've been... made aware that this mod contains loli images. To be fair, I could've learned that from reading the OP more closely. In any case: please keep that stuff of the forum. Thread locked and download link in the OP removed.