Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Gravity well effects  (Read 1803 times)

D0vahkiin

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Gravity well effects
« on: April 01, 2012, 06:16:23 AM »

How about make it so, that whenever a fleet approaches a gravity well, their speed actually increases, but whenever they try to get away from it, the speed decreases.

This would allow for more maneuvering on the map and would actually make a slingshot move possible.

harperrb

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Gravity well effects
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 07:24:43 AM »

Though I like the idea in the case of a single ship, I'm not sure this would make sense for entire fleets.  Considering the complexity of control and organization of a fleet, it makes sense to me that the resulting effect of a gravity well is the loss of open space bonus speed.  We don't want our brawler frigates flying into our hammerhead cruisers at 1000000 miles a second. Take it slow, take it safe.

I do think that smaller fleets should be less affected by asteroids and gravity wells. But really when it comes to the coding, the system map movement is not the heart of the game. Whatever time gets put there we lose out on economy/diplomacy/PC AI.