Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: MesoTroniK Donation Drive  (Read 51977 times)

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
Re: MesoTroniK Donation Drive
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2022, 04:45:28 PM »

I want to extend a truly heartfelt thanks to you FullyAutomaticWafflePress for the good and well researched advice.

Unfortunately we are not eligible for such a thing, I have looked into it (and many other options) before. Even spoke to several social workers who specialize in helping people with these sorts of problems. Everything is fu**** if I am honest and there is nothing that can be done except for what I am doing. Really speaks to how terrible and rigged the welfare system is, where a tiny sliver of Means can affect whether you get help or not, regardless of your cost of living and or overall situation :(

ratpizza

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2022, 01:58:06 AM »

Saw the donation drive yesterday and donated a little something. Really sad to read about your situation, :'( I hope things eventually improve for you and your mother.

Best of luck.

FullyAutomaticWafflePress

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2022, 09:53:54 AM »

I understand how it is, i know you're doing everything you can to make ends meet. I'm a caregiver for my own older brother (albeit in a much better financial situation). Have a little something from PayPal, I hope it helps with the bills.

Cyoes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2022, 07:14:36 PM »

Sorry but you should really use a proper service for this as currently there is absolutely no way to remotely ensure this is a legitimate donation. The fact that this is the top post on the main page here is concerning.

Not qualifying for government support and then not even mentioning the reasoning why is shady.

Are we allowed to start threads here for donations? I would really think this would be against forum rules unless some sort of exception is being made here.

Anyway, thanks for being transparent with how much you are getting from donations and for showing proper receipts (Not just price quotes)

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2022, 06:36:43 AM »

Sorry but you should really use a proper service for this as currently there is absolutely no way to remotely ensure this is a legitimate donation. The fact that this is the top post on the main page here is concerning.

Not qualifying for government support and then not even mentioning the reasoning why is shady.

Are we allowed to start threads here for donations? I would really think this would be against forum rules unless some sort of exception is being made here.

Anyway, thanks for being transparent with how much you are getting from donations and for showing proper receipts (Not just price quotes)

I consider Meso to be a solid guy who has done some good work and carried himself honestly in every interaction I've had with him. I advocate for his integrity.

Your post fits the definition of concern trolling to a tee, and it being your very first post here doesn't help your credibility. If your intent was to be helpful, then you should seriously reconsider your approach. To implicitly accuse him of scamming so lightly, without the courage of conviction, over such a small amount of money is unseemly. If he was truly scamming, there are far better ways to do it that don't involve him baring his situation to the world like he has - which, by the way, takes a lot of bravery and humility to do.

If you don't want to help, then you don't have to. That's all there is to it.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2022, 01:22:23 PM »

Yeah, we're getting through a $400 music commission right now, and I have to say, the level of effort he's putting in on top of caretaking to get me the music I paid for is deeply inconsistent with this being a scam.

Traditionally in a scam, you vanish with the money; you don't stick around and deliver absolute bangers, one track after the other.

Gorgonson

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2022, 07:08:34 PM »

I'm giving what I can. Meso is and has been an absolute pillar of the community for years. It's worth supporting those who support others.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2023, 10:52:00 PM »

Hello again everyone, I am doing something I really don't want to do and I wish I had another choice in the matter. But I am asking for help once again, and doing it in a way unlike before... Reaching beyond only the Starsector community due to the severity of the situation being worse than even the height of all prior problems combined as mentioned throughout this thread previously. Lives are unironically at stake, to a degree where I wish things were only "only" as bad as a couple of years ago when this thread was first made.

I have launched a GoFundMe to raise some urgently needed funds, you can see the details here:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-me-care-for-my-senior-mother-and-pay-bills

Yea, I am asking for a substantial amount of money there but if you read the campaign you will understand why. I am divulging more information than ever before, and it truly hurts to do that but it is what it is. Any help rendered is something I could never possibly thank one enough for. And even if you are unable to donate or do not wish to? Please consider signal boosting it, which is also something that can make a world of difference as well.

Again, thank you all for your help, both past and present. My mother and I truly appreciate it!

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2023, 06:08:39 PM »

Have you hit up the UAF mod author? He is currently looking for someone to do payed sound work for his entire mod.

I had a couple paragraphs of advice written up, but then suddenly the lyrics of a certain song came to mind "Never take advice from someone who hasn't tried", then I deleted it all. I've never been in a ***-tier life situation like you are. Good luck dude, hope you can figure something out to make some big changes for the better.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2023, 11:30:26 AM »

Have you hit up the UAF mod author? He is currently looking for someone to do payed sound work for his entire mod.
I have worked for them in the past, it isn't something that will happen again.

I had a couple paragraphs of advice written up, but then suddenly the lyrics of a certain song came to mind "Never take advice from someone who hasn't tried", then I deleted it all. I've never been in a ***-tier life situation like you are. Good luck dude, hope you can figure something out to make some big changes for the better.
Unfortunately, those words have quite a bit of truth to them friend. But also thank you for the kind words and well wishing too!

And to everyone else, thank you so very much for the assistance rendered so far! No words I could say ever would be enough for this outpouring of support.

TiberQ

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2023, 06:37:34 AM »

Hello MesoTronik !

I hope most goes well, considering.
As for some former posts u made, 6k Dollar is way 2mutch.
I would recommend replacing parts (if needed) and patching up the air-conditioner u have.

Ill first describe the part where there are no leaks in the system followed later for when there are leaks;
Assuming there are no leaking holes in your system, use a replacement coolant for your system.
To test if u got the right stuff;  tap a little bit out of the system and into a cheap small bowl,
go outside and ad a little new replacement coolant into the bowl.
If no bubbling flashing hissing or whatever happens, they are more than compatible,
and thus u don't need to drain your system and replace it... u can simply add the new ''replacement'' coolant.
Some people would advice against this, but that is why u test whit just a little bit, and also this happens all
the time everywhere, including your car during service or even factory's where there is a lot more than
just heat-exchangers and air-conditioners.

Ignore commercial talk like; only replace x form brand x, whit x from brand x.
This is litteral commercial talk. This is also the reason some would almost always fall for this salesman's pitch,
out of stupidity or fear... probably both.
Example... GM motors would always advice GM motors ....would it not? This goes for all commercial talks / commercials.
That being sad, dont skip the testing part, there are incompatibility's around, altho for non-industrial stuff most unlikely.

U have a 1990's system? here is a link for replacement coolants usually found in your local DIY hardware store:
https://www.ctc-n.org/technologies/shift-coolants-and-refrigerants-lower-gwp

Sometimes it even says on the bottle for what time''era the replacement coolant is.

As for any rust,
Use something called a steel brush; (linky down) brush the spot of rust down, u should -rough up- the area,
( ''roughing it up'' is for surface preparation)
dont worry about the rust that remains after a good brush, for that:
Use some paint that deals whit rust. linky down.

If there are holes,
Use the steel brush again this time to remove some rust if present,
than paint it whit same rust dealing paint, than,
than cringe patch-up tape will work fine, this tape is similar to ducktape, but when heated if shrinks, and thus making a cringe seal. linky down.
Apply heat whit an paint blower, or torch lighter. Open flame works2, altho is difficult, / i would not recommend for beginners in the DIY department.

If i had a case like this, i would be done for under 100 Euro (including buying a paint blower)
U should be done for under 100 Dollar ; -)

PS... check whit a ladder ontop your roof for leaks, should be obvious when u get close, a darker spot --(previously wet spot)-- is easy to see from close up.
Use your fingers to feel the bottom of any hose / hardline, if it has a wet feeling, find it visually, and track it back to the source.

steel brush example; https://nl.rs-online.com/web/p/wire-brushes/0822658
anti rust paint example: https://www.hammerite.co.uk/product/direct-to-rust-metal-paint-smooth-finish/
Be carefull here, canned coating sprays dont do the job, and anti rust paints need a rust free underground (and thats hard todo!! )
cringe tape: https://www.gaines-thermoretractables.fr/en/heat-shrink-tape/
paint blower:  https://www.thomasnet.com/articles/materials-handling/best-heat-gun-for-shrink-wrap/

Edit, in your language it is called heat gun instead of blower.
And the cringe tape, could be called Preservation tape. or Pipeline Shrink Sleeve. (for waterlines) sometimes called Waterwrap; linky
http://blog.heatshrinksleeves.com/2014/12/heat-shrink-sleeves-on-water-pipe.html
Whatever the case, it needs to be suited for plumbing. Whit a good range, your area is hot, and your
tubing transports eigther hot or cold coolant medium.

If all this information is 2 mutch ->
The savvy tech guy at your local DIY store should know what u need. Describe the situation and item + (sub)items to be repaired / take alot of pictures

And of-course, don't forget to check for holes or breaks in the system before u actually go to the store, no need to buy stuff your not gonna use.

All in all,
This information should set u up to deal whit this yourself, for a lot cheaper,
 and thus, i will consider this my contribution to u ^^

Last but not least, your system uses a lot of power / energy, driving your monthy bill way up.
Instead of kicking the can down the road, read up on stuff like terracotta cooling, here is a starting linky:
https://earthbuddies.net/terracotta-air-conditioner/
A system like this is possible for your house, because even tho the foto u provided is a bit shy on detail,
I could see u have an house at ground floor, most likely whit a garden, therefore this is possible for u.
These luv nature people aren't just tree huggers ya know? ;-)

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2023, 01:16:12 PM »

Hello TiberQ! I appreciate all you said but I really don't want to spend too much time replying to it as that specific situation was resolved as said in this thread previously and new things are going on also with this overall situation.

As for some former posts u made, 6k Dollar is way 2mutch.
I would recommend replacing parts (if needed) and patching up the air-conditioner u have.
It really wasn't too much, it was on the lower end of estimates for replacing a roof top packaged air conditioner unit. At least for companies who had good reviews. And repairing it wasn't practical at all.

ll first describe the part where there are no leaks in the system followed later for when there are leaks;
Assuming there are no leaking holes in your system, use a replacement coolant for your system.
To test if u got the right stuff;  tap a little bit out of the system and into a cheap small bowl,
go outside and ad a little new replacement coolant into the bowl.
If no bubbling flashing hissing or whatever happens, they are more than compatible,
and thus u don't need to drain your system and replace it... u can simply add the new ''replacement'' coolant.
Some people would advice against this, but that is why u test whit just a little bit, and also this happens all
the time everywhere, including your car during service or even factory's where there is a lot more than
just heat-exchangers and air-conditioners.
It was leaking coolant very slowly, water was also getting into areas it didn't belong, and several air conditioner outfits I called said they did not have the anachronistic r22 freon on hand. Were they telling the truth? I'll never know.

Ignore commercial talk like; only replace x form brand x, whit x from brand x.
This is litteral commercial talk. This is also the reason some would almost always fall for this salesman's pitch,
out of stupidity or fear... probably both.
Example... GM motors would always advice GM motors ....would it not? This goes for all commercial talks / commercials.
That being sad, dont skip the testing part, there are incompatibility's around, altho for non-industrial stuff most unlikely.
That goes without saying friend. Though I appreciate the sentiment.

U have a 1990's system? here is a link for replacement coolants usually found in your local DIY hardware store:
https://www.ctc-n.org/technologies/shift-coolants-and-refrigerants-lower-gwp

Sometimes it even says on the bottle for what time''era the replacement coolant is.
In the United States, you cannot get coolants without certifications. And for old style coolants you need a cert to even reclaim it from units being removed to then be repurposed to refurbishing other old ones.

If all this information is 2 mutch ->
The savvy tech guy at your local DIY store should know what u need. Describe the situation and item + (sub)items to be repaired / take alot of pictures
It isn't too much, it just isn't *useful* nor any longer *relevant* information. Though I appreciate the sentiment. I am a handyman myself, so I know a bit about everything and once upon a time did some construction / general contracting / plumbing.

All in all,
This information should set u up to deal whit this yourself, for a lot cheaper,
 and thus, i will consider this my contribution to u ^^
Again I appreciate it, but it no longer matters as the unit was replaced as said previously in this thread. Repairing it would have been a Bad Idea. A unit older than most people in this community (and more than twice the average life span of these things), with discontinued coolant, with a compressor on the fritz, with a slow leak somewhere in the closed loop, fan bearings starting to go bad, and with severe rust on the outer steel casing? Would cost more than half the cost of a new unit to repair. And considering all factors? Just would not be a particularly good idea. Those outfits were truthful in telling me to just replace it, I already knew that really, and is hard to pull one over on me lol.

And yea anyways, new stuff is going on now :(

TiberQ

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2023, 04:22:49 PM »

A unit older than most people in this community

;D

Anyway, those 90's devices where build properly, most whit repair in mind, there was way less if any planned obsolescence in those units.
I would definitely have repaired it or at the very least not allow to be hauled out of there.

In the United States, you cannot get coolants without certifications. And for old style coolants you need a cert to even reclaim it from units being removed to then be repurposed to refurbishing other old ones.

If that is true, than how does anyone ad coolant to their / your car?
Having a cert for old style coolants... sure R22 should be behind a cert, it's nasty stuff especially if used in the wrong way. But the new replacement ones? why? Somehow that sounds like an oversight. Surely u can buy at the garage or DIY shop stuff for your car, including coolants.
And if u can buy coolant for your car, all that is left is figuring out which one will do for your air-conditioner. That is.. if any of this was relevant any longer, which apparently it is not ;-)

If u have any more 90's stuff around in or out the house, i would not throw it away, because even thou in your country there is some pushback happening via Right to Repair movement. Currently the stuff that was build back than, works best, and properly maintained; probably longer than any of us including this community. ;-p

Nevertheless... Good Luck ^^

Edit Edit ... moar Edit, i should learn how to type ;p
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 04:52:22 PM by TiberQ »

Ær

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2023, 03:24:32 PM »

Just donated - if it will help MesoTroniK to get a day or two of coherent rest, it would be great.

I was in somewhat similar situation, but in not that much stressed position. But that experience allows me to imagine what MesoTroniK is going through for already several years, and I would say it's that type of slow hell, which you would not wish for anyone at all. Facing it without any idea for how long it will last takes great courage. And that this post exists proves that no one has to face it alone.
I want to thank everyone who took part in this effort: it impressed me how much people subscribed to Patreon and donated on GoFundMe, and these are only the visible platforms. It shows that people care, despite anything. Starsector community is great, and I am glad to recently become part of it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 03:28:52 PM by Ær »

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2023, 11:33:56 AM »

Hello Ær, and thank you so very much. Also, I want to apologize for the overly delayed reply. Truth be told I have not been checking the forums as much as I used to or would like to these days.

Indeed no one deserves to ever have to go through this sort of situation without help, ideally with other trustworthy people and in person. It is too much but this cruel world sometimes leaves one with no choice. I want to thank you, along with everyone else as well, from the bottom of my heart once again, for this community truly is great indeed.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6