Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: MesoTroniK Donation Drive  (Read 51965 times)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
MesoTroniK Donation Drive
« on: January 29, 2021, 12:58:26 PM »

Update 03/06/2023
I am sad to say that, unfortunately, Meso's life situation has taken a turn for the worst and is in dire need of help and support from as many as possible even more than ever before. To say that the lives of both his mother and himself hang in the balance is NOT an exaggeration and time is running out... More info here:
Hello again everyone, I am doing something I really don't want to do and I wish I had another choice in the matter. But I am asking for help once again, and doing it in a way unlike before... Reaching beyond only the Starsector community due to the severity of the situation being worse than even the height of all prior problems combined as mentioned throughout this thread previously. Lives are unironically at stake, to a degree where I wish things were only "only" as bad as a couple of years ago when this thread was first made.

I have launched a GoFundMe to raise some urgently needed funds, you can see the details here:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-me-care-for-my-senior-mother-and-pay-bills

Yea, I am asking for a substantial amount of money there but if you read the campaign you will understand why. I am divulging more information than ever before, and it truly hurts to do that but it is what it is. Any help rendered is something I could never possibly thank one enough for. And even if you are unable to donate or do not wish to? Please consider signal boosting it, which is also something that can make a world of difference as well.

Again, thank you all for your help, both past and present. My mother and I truly appreciate it!

Original Post:
Hey everyone, I'm posting here today to ask for some help. Not for me, but for a good friend of mine, Mesotronik. Who is not only the mod author of Tiandong Heavy Industries mod but also a major helping hand in the code, sound, and music development for many mods here on the forum.
Meso has fallen on hard times both financially and mentally this last year and a half. And while I know the last year has been hard for most people, it hit Meso extra hard.
-There was a car accident which totaled the car.
--Accident scammers tried to take advantage of the situation, lying about what happened even though it flies in the face of the police report and this was happening for the better part of a year.
-Covid, and the associated lockdown, has disrupted both his work and his life. Especially with the lack of transportation.

However the biggest issue is that late 2019 his senior mother began degrading in both mental and physical health rapidly. This is made worse by the fact that she needs around the clock care due to her having Lewy Body Dementia, which is similar to Alzheimers in many ways but much worse in others. Said care and supervision is consuming nearly all of his life. This is due to the fact that she can do something like go to try and cook something and end up leaving the gas on. And yes, this did happen multiple times in fact, and so much more that won't be mentioned for they are gross and gruesome and is best left to the imagination... All of this care and supervision is stressing him out and preventing him from working nearly as much as he needs to and wishes to, though thankfully he works from home. But now his bills are piling up and he is in significant financial trouble. As in possibly losing the house levels of trouble.

So here I am asking people here if they could please give what they can to Meso.

Yes the link is legit even though it is using a shortener. It was needed as otherwise the link is a giant mess. It was taken directly from his THI page.
This money will go towards paying off bills, both current and future, along with "senior proofing" the house and just help him take care of her in general.
If you want to help Meso over a longer period of time or you want an alternative way to donate to him, he has a patreon here: https://www.patreon.com/mesotronik

I am also trying to help him in find more remote work that he can do and help bring in a more steady flow of cash. So that hopefully, eventually, he can get back to a more normal life. Currently he works freelance right now and was already hurting before his mom ended up in this situation. If you have a tip, or have work needed or know someone who does, please either leave it here or email Meso at mesotronik[at]gmail.com (Email preferably)
His skills are primarily sound and music design along with software, especially games and playtesting, QA (Front end and unit testing).
A link to his soundcloud

More info on his sound commissions:
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=18116.0

Before anyone asks, yes I already have Alex's permission as I talked with him about this, in depth, over several days.

As for Meso's permission to post all of this: We talked about doing something like a GoFundMe in the past if it ever got really bad, but at that moment it wasn't THAT bad yet. Sadly it is now, which is why I'm here. I also know he is too proud to ask for help and I know this kind of thing would be super stressful for him, so I'm doing this for him in order to help him out as much as I can and as a surprise to him even. One that I am not even sure 100% how he will react to it, but I know he will trust in me and that it was for the right reasons. He is always the sort to just sort of... Stick it through, and power through tough times. But at this moment, it may truly no longer be possible for him no matter how much effort he puts into it.

Why this post and not a GoFundMe? Because most fail and GoFundMe is meant more for "viral fund raising". However, most people that know Meso are either here or on the Unofficial Discord server so a GoFundMe doesn't make sense in the long run. And those who know him well know how much he has put into the Starsector community... Often to the point of his own detriment.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 02:18:30 PM by Midnight Kitsune »
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

SirHartley

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: MesoTroniK Donation Drive
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 01:40:37 PM »

Can confirm that the donation link is legit.

I really hate hearing about this. Caring for someone with dementia is a serious undertaking, it is understandable that little time is left for work.

Meso is a really, really nice guy, and has helped countless others in this community over the years - if anyone has ever deserved support in a time of crisis, it's him.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 01:43:52 PM by SirHartley »

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 01:45:32 PM »

I donated what I could. I hope his situation improves soon!

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 01:57:54 PM »

Can confirm that the donation link is legit.

I really hate hearing about this. Caring for someone with dementia is a serious undertaking, it is understandable that little time is left for work.

Meso is a really, really nice guy, and has helped countless others in this community over the years - if anyone has ever deserved support in a time of crisis, it's him.
Yeah, sorry about the bit.ly link. However the link shortener IS needed as it is a giant URL string. The donation link was taken straight from his THI page. Adding this to the main post.
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 02:23:48 PM »

Confirming that this does have my permission to be posted here. Let me sticky it for a while, too.

Also: donated! It sounds like a very difficult situation, and I wish him the best.

Indeed.

Wispborne

• Captain
  • Discord: wispborne
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 02:44:45 PM »

This is a really nice thing to do, but please tell me you had his permission to share all of these very personal things with the world.

edit: Meso is cool with it, per below post. So all that's really left for me to say is thank you Midnight Kitsune for doing this, giving us the opportunity to help one of our own.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 03:48:37 PM by Wispborne »
Mod: Persean Chronicles | Mod Manager: SMOL | Tool: VRAM Estimator | Tool: Forum+Discord Mod Database | If I'm inactive for 3 months, anyone can use any of my work for anything (except selling it or its derivatives).

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 03:12:42 PM »

I was wondering why I got email notifications of several donations in a row, that has never happened before (and they are very rare in general too), and this thread certainly isn't something that I was expecting...

Wisp, while I didn't give him permission to do this per-say. Midnight is a very good friend of mine, and we go way back and I have helped him through some of his own really hard times myself. He did this for me for the Right Reasons, out of concern for me and I can't shoot holes in that even as much as it hurts in some ways. I wouldn't have done this myself, as he said in his own manner of speaking. I would have just kept plugging along no matter how futile it seemed and this is foolish, self destructive, and leads down a dark path. So he did what he thought he needed to in perhaps one of the few ways he could, and in the end was just returning the favors I did him in the past and I will respect that.

Thank you so much for the kind words... And help everyone, it won't be forgotten and it truly will help me try and dig out of this seemingly bottomless pit.

And hey, can glean one other thing from this too. Now everyone *really* knows why my mod development is going about as fast as cold molasses heh. Replacing almost all of my free time, what little there is, with networking and freelance work whenever I can sneak it in between caring for my mother.

Sly

• Commander
  • Afflicionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 05:58:29 PM »

Tiandong is one high quality mod. Thanks for creating and supporting it.

Good luck, buddy.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2021, 01:02:01 AM »

I hired Mesotronik to make the ORA's music themes so I can vouch for the quality of his music work.

Dal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2021, 11:48:53 AM »

Meso is a standup guy who's contributed not just to his own excellent mod but to many others. I wish you the best, Meso, and I'll do what I can do help.

jn_xyp

• Ensign
  • Ordinary Player, Fossic.org customer support
    • View Profile
    • Jn_xyp's Blog (In Chinese)
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2021, 05:45:10 PM »

Donated. As I used to be taking care of my grandparent who had Alzheimers, I totally understand how much care they would need. Hope everything goes well.
Ordinary Player, maintainer and customer support of fossic.org.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2021, 06:22:27 PM »

"Donation to this recipient is not supported in this country."
Well, frick.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 06:35:35 PM »

"Donation to this recipient is not supported in this country."
Well, frick.
Try DL the Opera browser for their free VPN feature.

ck1521

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2021, 06:54:26 PM »

It's probably not a VPN thing
Being one from china I use VPN all the time, and paypal shows me this message too, only after I logged onto my account.
Also if I switch to use debit/credit card, if the region is china it says "Donations to this recipient aren't supported in this country"
So I think it's with their transfer policy or something money-related, like a credit card from my country is not allowed.
I remember last year I could donate to wikipedia with my visa card but not via paypal, it might be the same problem.

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2021, 07:18:17 PM »

While I have not been privy to the whole extent of Meso's problems, I do know that he has been struggling for a considerable amount of time. Meso is a good man and his extensive contributions to both my mods and others, particularly newbie ones, is something that cannot adequately be covered in a single post. Please donate to this man, lord knows he not only needs it, but deserves it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6