Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Project CHIMERA  (Read 1198 times)

chaincat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Project CHIMERA
« on: July 07, 2021, 09:08:19 PM »

Project CHIMERA
Continue
Humanity's
Induced
Macro
Evolution
Rapidly (and)
Aggressively

K. Monsanch, M. Yourphylo, and R. Zavaleta

Abstract: Project CHIMERA aims to induce rapid and extreme mutations, and thus evolution, within an individual about to be born by introducing genetic code of animals. Foxes have been selected for preliminary trials due to their distinctive, somewhat useful, and marketable traits, and lack of inherent aggression toward humans. With the maturation of subject no. 6154388, "Jun," and the creation of the Homo Vulpes species, or "Kitsune," the project was deemed a success, and experimentation with more useful traits, such as a Starfish's regenerative properties or a bird of prey's eyesight, is pending approval.

----

Introduction

For millennia before the collapse, Humanity (Homo Sapiens) have remained largely stagnant. Fossil records show that the biology of humans has remained largely the same since well before written history.

Project CHIMERA aims to rectify this, and induce rapid and extreme evolution within individuals in a single generation who will not only possess new traits for life without genetic modifications, henceforth referred to as "genemods," but be able to breed with themselves and other humans, passing on these traits, creating a new, distinct, possibly greater species of human. Experimentation has been approved by the board of directors with a limit of 20 cycles to complete, and a maximum casualty limit of 10,000.

As this is a new field of genetic research, Foxes have been selected due to their distinctive and useful traits, in addition to their nonviolent disposition toward humans. A successful subject is projected to exhibit the ears and tail of a fox, as well as a flighty disposition toward strangers.

---

Methods

A Zygote is to be removed surgically from a woman and injected with a phage that will insert the genes for a Fox's tail and ears

Method proved fruitless, mother experienced a miscarriage 98% of the time, remaining 2% experienced normal births, or the child dissolved shortly after birth due to unstable genetics. All participants executed, and hospitals bribed.

An egg surgically removed from a donor parent is injected with a phage that inserts the genes for a fox's tail and ears, then the DNA is stabilized with VIC genetic technology and the egg is fertilized, and the zygote is grown into a fetus in a vat

Method unsuccessful, egg rendered infertile. Donors assassinated.

Samples of sperm are flooded with phages that insert the genes for a fox's tail and ears. DNA is stabilized and then introduced to a donor egg, resultant zygote is grown into a fetus in a vat
Method unsuccessful, sperm rendered sterile. Donors assassinated.

[REDACTED]
Method unsuccessful, zygote dissolves before reaching fetus stage. "Donors" executed.

[REDACTED]
Method successful at 0.0001% success rate, zygote developed into a fetus and entered incubation. Fetuses and infants tended to dissolved due to unstable DNA. Donors terminated.
Spoiler
hidden within the source code is a note: "I can't believe we had to resort to asking one of those things. The board will have our heads if they found out an Alpha was involved. Still, we've come so far, people are starting to notice, and we refuse to give up!"
[close]

---

Results

One (1) Male was able to mature, exhibiting fox ears and tail. Otherwise behaves like a normal, albeit timid human. Subject will be observed throughout their life. Fertility tests show that subject is able to fertilize an egg of a normal human, and the resultant zygote will have the genes for fox ears and tail 100% of the time. The new species was dubbed "Homo Vulpes" scientifically, and "Kitsune" colloquially after a fox-human creature in certain ancient mythologies, and the subject was named "Jun" at the donor's request.

---

Discussion

Project CHIMERA shows that it is in fact possible to induce evolution by introducing animal DNA with the right methodology. Members of the team have mentioned the potential of other hybrid species from ancient mythologies, such as Centaurs and Cat girls, all of which should be possible through Project CHIMERA, and even more, and all the benefits they will bring to the sector, not needing to use expensive genemods and undergo maintenance. The board is pleased with these results, albeit lukewarm with the creation of Homo Vulpes, stretching the limits of what they believe to be an acceptable evolution. With hope, they will see the light of Project CHIMERA, and new species of human-animal hybrids will spread throughout the sector within just a few generations.

---

Kelly Monsanch, Maria Yourphylo, and Richard Zavaleta, along with other scientists and workers were found dead months later. Jun was raised in secrecy until adulthood whereupon he was admitted into the VIC navy at the lowest commissioned rank. Where the sector will take this young Kitsune, only time will tell.

Spoiler
Hi everyone! This is my first time writing lore for a character. I've been playing the game since we were just in Corvus, Exerelin was a thing, and the game was still called Starfarer, and between the progress Alex has been making and the amazing mods and extended universe, I've been having a blast getting back into the game. Genemodding and transhumanism is a really interesting direction for sci-fi and fascinating field of real life research, though far from anything we explored here. My character is a fox boy, and VIC presented an opportunity to fit him into the lore. I play with Nex super ship starts so I was trying to think, why is my character special? Why is an inexperienced lieutenant starting with a powerful ship? So I thought, maybe he was the first of a sketchy experiment to make genemods permanent and truly evolve the species. I tried to write this as a sort of scientific article, but I don't have a lot of Biology jargon under my belt to stretch it out really long. Hopefully it's still readable like this? Of course, Project CHIMERA strays pretty far from VIC's philosophy, so the researchers all wound up dead. Thanks to Astarat and PureTilt for making VIC, Alex for making such a great game, and you for reading my rambling this far! If people want, I might start posting AARs of this campaign, too. Hope you enjoyed! Furthermore, I am of the opinion that Jangala must be destroyed.
[close]
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 09:10:17 PM by chaincat »
Furthermore, I am of the opinion that Jangala must be destroyed.