Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Why is it important to have forum etiquette/forum moderation?  (Read 5295 times)

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
Re: Why is it important to have forum etiquette/forum moderation?
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2021, 06:35:15 PM »

It's very weird to see people riding a principle that failed to work as early as 1993 down in flames despite plenty of evidence to the contrary.

GenericGoose

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2021, 03:22:17 AM »

How though? How are new members made compliant? That's where my problem with this concept ultimately stems from. It never seems to be through useful discussion... if it was, then there wouldn't be any need for rules to enforce it, I agree. It just never seems to actually be the reality when there isn't a rule.
By example. If you want to become a part of something, you try to fit in, by doing what everyone else does. People that come just to try and troll are ignored or made fun of in return. Another thing I noticed is that most people only stay belligerent for a little while. Afterwards they either give up and leave or get over whatever conflict they had with others and participate normally, which happens often enough.
It's very weird to see people riding a principle that failed to work as early as 1993 down in flames despite plenty of evidence to the contrary.
Whereas the regular September student influx would quickly settle down, the influx of new users from AOL did not end and Usenet's existing culture did not have the capacity to integrate the sheer number of new users
But it actually worked, exactly as I'm saying it would. Massive influxes of new users can ruin any community and cause shifts not just in the community culture, but in moderation teams, potentially leading to awful people getting the power to do far more damage than a bunch of rude users. If 10000 new people come to this forum and start breaking rules, will rules really save you? You will be overwhelmed and your options are either to quickly try and get more admins or disable registration. There is no clean way to deal with this.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 03:25:26 AM by GenericGoose »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2021, 10:46:55 AM »

(I've already seen that behaviour here when a thread got lots of constructive criticisms but zero insults or any hateful things. It was seriously just people telling the OP that x thing is a bad idea / won't work and so. And of course came mods, deleted everything and issued warnings for people because apparently we were "overly negative". I can list countless examples of this...)

***. Vague. Rules.

Speaking of the rules, it's against the rules to publicly discuss moderator decisions. Part of the reason is that there are often behind-the-scenes factors that shouldn't be part of a public discussion (for the privacy of the members involved), so a discussion like that has a real high chance of painting a warped picture. Case in point, this. The other part of the reason is it wastes further moderator time and effort. Note: please do not take this as an invitation to discuss this policy.

@David
Wow that's such a bad analogy I can't even tell if it's satire or not.
The part you forgot
Only correct thing you wrote is that

You've got a PM.

@Everyone - if the tone of the discussion deteriorates, I'll likely lock the thread. It's already going in circles a bit, and has the potential to take a nosedive.

This forum is first and foremost an adjunct to a commercial enterprise. It's crowdsourced market research and QA testing; that's the utility function it serves.
Are you speaking for Alex here? I'm really hoping this isn't what he actually thinks.

No, I don't see it quite so transactionally - I'd like to think the forum is a good thing for many people, for different reasons. But I also definitely have a certain opinion about what sort of community I'd like the forum to be - that is, welcoming, generally polite, and so on. I'm not saying this is objectively "right" or whatever; you're absolutely welcome to disagree on how you think an ideal forum should be run. But I do ask that forum members respect this since, well - not to put too fine a point on it, but I am the one running it.

GenericGoose

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2021, 12:15:43 PM »

No, I don't see it quite so transactionally - I'd like to think the forum is a good thing for many people, for different reasons. But I also definitely have a certain opinion about what sort of community I'd like the forum to be - that is, welcoming, generally polite, and so on. I'm not saying this is objectively "right" or whatever; you're absolutely welcome to disagree on how you think an ideal forum should be run. But I do ask that forum members respect this since, well - not to put too fine a point on it, but I am the one running it.
I'm glad you don't see it like that. And of course, I respect your vision.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]