Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: Is this game dead?  (Read 39548 times)

Nafensoriel

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Is this game dead?
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2021, 12:22:56 PM »

Rumor has it that Alex has issues with knowing "when it's done enough to release" and "Working on superfluous aspects of the game while more important things need doing."

I don't think anyone can argue that he isn't talented, though many mod makers are demonstrating that they have more skill at it then he does. He doesn't have discipline, which comes with working under a deadline.

We will eventually get a release, it will probably not be for another year. There will be people who still religiously defend him and the game but it's pretty clear that if he worked on any real project for any company he would be fired within a year for failing to meet basic deadlines.

If you need reference to what I am saying, take a look at the "In production" list of changes. All of those are completed, done, fixed, and integrated...LOTS of them would make Starsector 100% better game on every possible level.

but he doesn't release it because he is busy fiddling with a new graphical effect and showing it on twitter.

meanwhile, Modders have taken his game and demonstrated that they can not only make more interesting factions, but integrate into the game things Alex never even dreamed.  Transforming mecha fighters? DONE. Super beam cannons that can turn ships to puff of dust? DONE.  Activating and linking all of the jump gates? DONE.  Terraforming worlds? DONE.  Creating a fleet specific to the player and his own faction? DONE.  Sugoi anime waifus? DONE. Giant ships made of junk stapled together with raider hopes and dreams? DONE.

I am sure there are more things that would blow your mind, but sorry to say it, Alex needs a boss to tell him what to prioritize, because it's clear he can't prioritize things himself.
What you are basically describing is the difference between a developer and a creator. I know(and have employed) many people who are so brilliant at what they do well that they never get a handle on anything beyond that sphere. In programing it's an even worse problem. Any(and I do mean ANY) major game success has both groups and every single creator wished every single day they had more time. This is the beast you carry or lose your creativity imho.

Personally I think Alex has this one under control. Yes it will rear its head and consume days of time but that's the risk of small team work. It's not uncommon with these types of projects.
It might do to hire or con someone into feature control though. I find something as simple as setting up milestones and release rules relating to those milestones a good stopgap to chasing the "squirrel".

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2021, 02:12:18 PM »

it makes consumers mad, it makes them question your motives, it makes them question your dedication and discipline. Investors would avoid this model because there would be no return.  People who may otherwise love the game would abandon it because readily fixable problems are not dealt with in what could only be described as a reasonable time frame.
From this thread alone we can see how this argument does not hold water at all. Sure there are a few malcontents (somewhat understandably), but there are more people that are very much eager to reply with how happy they are with the pace of development, and a vast silent majority that probably doesn't mind or care either way.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2021, 02:22:37 PM »

it makes consumers mad, it makes them question your motives, it makes them question your dedication and discipline. Investors would avoid this model because there would be no return.  People who may otherwise love the game would abandon it because readily fixable problems are not dealt with in what could only be described as a reasonable time frame.
From this thread alone we can see how this argument does not hold water at all. Sure there are a few malcontents (somewhat understandably), but there are more people that are very much eager to reply with how happy they are with the pace of development, and a vast silent majority that probably doesn't mind or care either way.
I'm not defending what he said, but the thing you said doesn't make much sense to me either. We're on a forum for one specific game, where you have to go through the effort of making an account, again just to talk about only one game. So naturally a huge part of us here love the game and will defend it pretty much always. Yeah someone can be really mad or have some issues, so they also might want to say something here, but the truth is that the majority just doesn't care / has time to engage in forum talk, they just play the game, or in some cases, leave it and go do something else. For example if I wasn't satisfied with a game and how the devs handle it, guess what, I'd just move on, I wouldn't make an account just to say "yeah this ain't gonna do chief, speed it up". Not everyone has that mentality, but I sure as hell know most people wouldn't bother complaining for a game they don't care about.

Which brings me back to your claim that most people in this thread are saying they're fine with waiting and defend the devs / game itself. If this wasn't the case (either here or someplace else), then something is very wrong.

EDIT: And that's not even mentioning the fact that "controversial" posts get more replies that are contrary to the OP, it's just easier to respond to something you disagree with than go and reply "yeah me too", which is actually against forum rules here (so people just nod at the screen and move on). Just look at any Conquest thread.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 02:28:24 PM by Grievous69 »
Please don't take me too seriously.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2021, 02:29:32 PM »

But that also goes for Reddit, Discord, Twitter, virtually every place where you don't need a specific account. From all the available data points we have, you can't conclude that "players are mad and questioning Alex motives" is a widespread phenomenon.

I wouldn't argue it they said "people are getting tired of waiting", but they are going a few step further and at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they were to creep their way toward "it's a scam" accusations.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 02:36:59 PM by Tartiflette »

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2021, 02:35:50 PM »

But any of those platforms serve for multiple interests, not just one thing like this forum, so people are more likely to have accounts in the beginning, or to make one. And I never said players were unhappy, I'm just saying we don't see the full picture, so it's weird to put something like "people are fine with it" as a fact.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 24, 2021, 02:51:22 PM »

More people have accounts there is *exactly* my point since you were concerned the forum isn't a representative sample. And I said "probably doesn't mind or care either way", as in the majority is silent and not invested enough either way to make their voice heard.

My point being, there is no evidence a vast amount of people are questioning Alex' motivation. All available data points, however biased and unrepresentative they are, tend to point to the opposite for that specific accusation.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 02:57:13 PM by Tartiflette »

sector_terror

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 24, 2021, 03:17:26 PM »

Arguing whether people are happy or not is really not is not a good metric for us the fans to discuss. There's no way to prove it without access to a lot of other metrics like exact sales numbers, access to every platform, including e-mails and private reports, and more. Not to mention the current state of development. I don't think it's a helpful question

Zelnik

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 24, 2021, 03:47:01 PM »

If someone is willing to come foreword on these forums and make a post about their malcontent, you already have useful information there. If people chime in with agreement, you start getting a trend. Ignoring malcontents no matter how limited they 'appear' to be is foolish. The whole point of these forums is to give feedback, good or ill, about the game. It's not here to be a sycophant at the altar of Alex.

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2021, 04:52:23 PM »

Given the game isn't dead, I'm pretty sure people aren't commenting since this has basically turned into a vent thread about the patch taking forever.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 24, 2021, 05:09:30 PM »

Arguing whether people are happy or not is really not is not a good metric for us the fans to discuss. There's no way to prove it without access to a lot of other metrics like exact sales numbers, access to every platform, including e-mails and private reports, and more. Not to mention the current state of development. I don't think it's a helpful question

Luckily, by registering for the forums, Alex has complete access to everyone's emails, hardrives, social media accounts, and a camera in their kitchen for meal choice data, for the upcoming Starsector Galley expansion!

I have my fingers crossed that butter baked Volturnian lobster will give the ship +25% CR.

sector_terror

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 24, 2021, 07:21:30 PM »

Luckily, by registering for the forums, Alex has complete access to everyone's emails, hardrives, social media accounts, and a camera in their kitchen for meal choice data, for the upcoming Starsector Galley expansion!

I have my fingers crossed that butter baked Volturnian lobster will give the ship +25% CR.

does that mean that I can gain meal specialization?! My waffles and burger states would be off the charts

Nafensoriel

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 24, 2021, 09:32:40 PM »

So Alex saw me cooking bacon naked? Whelp folks he gouged his eyes out. Starsector is officially delayed for another year.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 27, 2021, 09:53:59 AM »

There will be people who still religiously defend him and the game but it's pretty clear that if he worked on any real project for any company he would be fired within a year for failing to meet basic deadlines.
What deadline was set? None. So why are you bringing this up? No reason, it's BS.

You pretending like you are being reasonable when you are the antithesis of reasonable.

Lets apply standards that weren't set and pretend a failure occurred. I say "no thank you" to your intellectually dishonest posts.

So Alex saw me cooking bacon naked? Whelp folks he gouged his eyes out. Starsector is officially delayed for another year.
Why was Alex the only one invited to this naked bacon cooking event? Unfair.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 09:58:30 AM by Locklave »

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
It totally isn't.
« Reply #133 on: February 27, 2021, 10:33:04 PM »

The update is close. I can feel it in my bones, like aching joints before stormy weather.

FreonRu

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 28, 2021, 12:46:41 AM »

I apologize in advance for using google translate.
The game is alive as long as the modding community pours in new content, which is fun to play over and over again.

Based on the time since the previous update, the time spent polishing and adding new content is likely to bring us a huge improvement. It's like switching from update 0.6 to 0.7 - the game has just changed, and I'm generally silent about the early updates.

Honestly, though, an updated list of additions and changes would be welcome. All the same, enough time has passed since the last released update, and everyone who played has passed (if I may say so) the game countless times.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12