Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: Is this game dead?  (Read 39893 times)

Modo44

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Is this game dead?
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2021, 12:42:44 AM »

This is an even better troll than the recurring "Conquest is better than Onslaught" thread. Congrats, OP.

Warnoise

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2021, 01:12:28 AM »

This is an even better troll than the recurring "Conquest is better than Onslaught" thread. Congrats, OP.

Are you attempting to start a flame war?

Because OP's concerns are legit.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2021, 01:59:18 AM »

That would be true if there weren't dev posts everywhere and and detailed update notes tagged at the top as of 10/16/20.

It's only legit if you consider putting in nearly no effort to check before posting a thread.

Golde

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2021, 09:57:05 AM »

That would be true if there weren't dev posts everywhere and and detailed update notes tagged at the top as of 10/16/20.

It's only legit if you consider putting in nearly no effort to check before posting a thread.

You know, some of us here such as myself actually live enjoyable lives outside of playing some random spaceship game from the internet

To simply afford the time to play games is a luxury of itself. If you think everyone plays games for the lack of better things to do, then maybe it's time for you to stop talking *** and reflect upon your own life choices.

The way I see it, this is a genuinely concerning question. Consumer purchased product is rarely a two way street. OP's effort to find the forum, make an account to ask the question is far above that of an average consumer.

If you considered the amount of people that have simply gazed past SC and brushed it off as another dead ass indie game belonging in the garbage can without ever giving it a chance, solely because of Alex's unorthodox release cycle that is far and few in between,. Then it's no good to release the game to a dead audience of 10 people who stuck with it since kickstarter, and that seems to be where this game is heading.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2021, 10:02:24 AM »

You know, some of us here such as myself actually live enjoyable lives outside of playing some random spaceship game from the internet

To simply afford the time to play games is a luxury of itself. If you think everyone plays games for the lack of better things to do, then maybe it's time for you to stop talking *** and reflect upon your own life choices.

The way I see it, this is a genuinely concerning question. Consumer purchased product is rarely a two way street. OP's effort to find the forum, make an account to ask the question is far above that of an average consumer.

If you considered the amount of people that have simply gazed past SC and brushed it off as another dead ass indie game belonging in the garbage can without ever giving it a chance, solely because of Alex's unorthodox release cycle that is far and few in between,. Then it's no good to release the game to a dead audience of 10 people who stuck with it since kickstarter, and that seems to be where this game is heading.
I'm pretty sure his point was just that there's no way the OP didn't see the news section up top which is always visible. Take it easy man.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2021, 02:15:21 PM »

A simple google search would have gotten the answer faster then this thread and with less effort.

Your hostility is not appropriate.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2021, 06:38:30 PM »

Alex, please close this thread and then post the second batch of patch notes :P
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

facc00

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2021, 10:18:46 PM »

my two cents is mew.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2021, 12:58:34 AM »

unorthodox release cycle

This, right here is the problem. But not for the reason you think.

The "mainstream" developers have thrown money, manpower (and mental health) at the task of running what is, in all honesty, some utterly insane release schedules. And every single time they do this the final output of thier efforts is some buggy, barely half-finished thing that the by then exhausted dev team has to go back and fix, while still operating under that same pressure.
It's an entirely self-defeating process that only "works" because there's a fountain of money, and people wanting a "foot in the door" propping it up.

This has become the norm for the industry. This is now expected of every developer reagrdless of if they are capable of doing it, or even if they want to do it.
This stuff happens in every industry to some extent. It's noticeably more common in software, and endemic in game development.
And this is bad.

I'm from a QC/QA background, so from my (incredibly biased) perspective, how Alex is handling development is the right way to do it.
Take the time you need with the resources you have to produce a thing with the highest quality you can. Release, review and correct if needed. Repeat until finished.

Expectation is the key. And a lot of people have had thiers skewed by decades of antics from a few businesses who are more interested in short-term monetary gain than actually producing something good.

Mortrag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2021, 01:09:44 AM »

Alex, please close this thread and then post the second batch of patch notes :P

Why post a second batch of patch notes and not just release the next update? :P
(I mean, neither your not mine post will change anything in Alex's work schedule. But if you make the effort to type something, why not ask for the full thing?)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2021, 01:31:52 AM »

@Serenitis
There's one more thing to add: Most games in early access (which have crazy long update cycles > like this) tend to get abandoned and just die out. Which is why people who don't follow dev posts and don't notice Alex here responding almost every day think the game is dead since the last update was almost 2 years ago. Let's say you and I never knew about this game and so don't know the pace of the updates, we hear of it from Sseth and get the game. So you acquire the game 3 months after the latest update, eventually get tired from mods and other games, you go to the official website to check the situation and see the "releases" page didn't change at all. The logical assumption is that the game died.

Now this is all ignoring the fact that OP somehow didn't notice all of the active people here plus the "fresh" news in 2020, which is why some people got defensive.

NOTE: This is just my personal experience that's relevant to the discussion.
I have yet to see someone comment "dead gaem" on a game that actually died. I've been a part of so many different genres of games and the amount of people that comment and ask such things would make you think it's just jokes and provocations. I mean it's painfully obvious if something completely died that you wouldn't need to ask the question in the first place. Mind you I'm well aware people deserve to know the answers and the situation in which the game is in, but on the other hand I can see why would someone think posts like these are "trolls". I'm not agreeing with that term in this specific scenario btw.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Phyroks

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2021, 01:37:44 AM »

Yes the updates take long time to arrive... No I dont like it, but not much that we can do. Sure would be happier if the game would progress faster.

I dont understand why someone would say its good to take over 10 years, but it just seems to be the way it is :/
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 04:33:32 AM by Phyroks »

easytarget

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2021, 09:59:35 AM »

Pretty much the above.
This space intentionally left blank.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2021, 03:22:36 PM »

I wonder which is going to update first: Starsector or Satisfactory's update 4 in mid March...

Both have taken like a year+ and both would suck me in for weeks, but which will it be?!

devurandom

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2021, 05:15:49 PM »

As far as I am concerned SS is currently still a paid demo that becomes a game only by piling mods made by passionate, unpaid heroes who add crucial elements missing from the game like faction dynamics. It's why I respect the modding community like the people behind (N)exerelin more than the dev. I wouldn't have this opinion if no money was involved yet and SS was truly just a passion project, like PR (a big standalone game/mod developed for 15 years by amateurs in exchange for 0$ and with more content and gameplay than most AAA games).
The base game doesn't have faction dynamics because it is not intended as a 4x. Also, while I like Nex and it is an impressive mod, it is nowhere near the quantity of engineering that has gone into the main game.

unorthodox release cycle

This, right here is the problem. But not for the reason you think.

The "mainstream" developers have thrown money, manpower (and mental health) at the task of running what is, in all honesty, some utterly insane release schedules. And every single time they do this the final output of thier efforts is some buggy, barely half-finished thing that the by then exhausted dev team has to go back and fix, while still operating under that same pressure.
It's an entirely self-defeating process that only "works" because there's a fountain of money, and people wanting a "foot in the door" propping it up.

This has become the norm for the industry. This is now expected of every developer reagrdless of if they are capable of doing it, or even if they want to do it.
This stuff happens in every industry to some extent. It's noticeably more common in software, and endemic in game development.
And this is bad.

I'm from a QC/QA background, so from my (incredibly biased) perspective, how Alex is handling development is the right way to do it.
Take the time you need with the resources you have to produce a thing with the highest quality you can. Release, review and correct if needed. Repeat until finished.

Expectation is the key. And a lot of people have had thiers skewed by decades of antics from a few businesses who are more interested in short-term monetary gain than actually producing something good.
Good, fast, cheap, pick two. Maintaining a rapid release schedule without significantly degrading quality requires pipelining the development process, and that simply is not possible with a single developer. Even with resources, setting up a working organizational pipeline is *hard*. Even billion dollar companies with decades of experience often have "pipeline stalls". e.g. Intel getting stuck on 10nm and throwing their entire pipeline into confusion.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12