Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Monitor Disconnects  (Read 389 times)

Anothername

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Monitor Disconnects
« on: January 12, 2021, 07:55:59 AM »

Whenever I run Starsector (doesnt matter if it has mods or not) it will disconnect my monitor for 3 seconds and then reconnect it, this can happen from a period of 30 seconds to 2 minutes after the last disconnection.

petrojelly

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Monitor Disconnects
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 08:51:05 AM »

What do you mean by 'disconnect' ? do you see an error message? does the entire display act as if no longer connected to the computer?

How is the monitor connected? VGA/HDMI/DP ?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 09:40:24 AM »

Huh, that's strange... I can't really even hypothesize what the issue might be. But, yeah, if you could clarify what you mean by "disconnects"? Perhaps it's the graphics driver crashing and then recovering, or some such?

Anothername

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 09:48:33 AM »

What do you mean by 'disconnect' ? do you see an error message? does the entire display act as if no longer connected to the computer?

How is the monitor connected? VGA/HDMI/DP ?

HDMI I think, the monitor just turns to black, and turns back on afterwards. Almost as if I press the power button twice quickly.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 09:51:34 AM »

Ah - when I've seen that happen, it's been caused by the graphics driver crashing and then recovering. There's usually a notification in the lower right to that effect, though. You might want to have a look in windows Event Viewer (in the Application and System sections) to see if there's an error at the same time. My guess at this point is driver crash, though. Why it'd crash is another question - the possibilities range from "bug in the driver" to "current install of the driver is corrupted" to "the hardware is on the fritz". If it's the second, then a clean reinstall of the graphics drivers might help, though that always carries a touch of risk.