Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Simple neutrino detector changes  (Read 657 times)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Simple neutrino detector changes
« on: January 11, 2021, 06:42:36 PM »

1:Toolbar ability to toggle usage of volatiles for ND.
2:ND no longer requires volatiles by default but using them eliminates false positives.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Simple neutrino detector changes
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 06:46:41 PM »

I do not like false positives.  If not for the rare pirate base that is impossible to find without it, I want to avoid Neutrino Detector like the plague because of false positives, volatiles requirement, and neutrino flares sometimes being nearly invisible when it blends too well with some backgrounds.

Snapshot

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 10:57:06 AM »

Isn't there some sort of trick to tell if a blip is a false positive or not? I fly 90 degrees perpendicular to the blip in question and if it moves after a few minutes, it's real, if it doesn't move, it's false.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 11:09:16 AM »

I tend to leave it on for ~10 seconds when flying between planets I am surveying, and that is frequently enough to tell if it is real or not. You can also see if the blip is pointing towards places that stuff typically spawns to guess if it is real. I also use ND as a way to quickly check if a system has loot when I jump in. A system with no blips is definitely empty and I can immediately leave and not bother looking around.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 11:33:19 AM »

The problem moving to check false signals is the fleet needs to move too much (while burning volatiles) to confirm them.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 11:38:55 AM »

You can integrate it into the movement you would already do to survey. It's also less movement than flying all around the system and looking for stuff. It also can be used as a way to prioritize what you search first, even if you aren't sure that the signal is real. It's a lot of information, even if it's not all certain information.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 11:42:38 AM »

You can integrate it into the movement you would already do to survey.
Not applicable for repeat visits (in a system I already surveyed) against the respawning zombie pirates.  This is what I need Neutrino for, to find pirates that are hidden too well.

DistressBeacon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 01:31:34 PM »

The thing I find with the detector is you can kinda tell if it's pointing you the wrong way if there's no reason for a pirate base to be over yonder. I just tend to turn it and off head in the direction of a blimp and do some scans and if I get nothing I repeat the process  going to another blimp. I never really burned too many violates doing that.
Pirate fleet pursing your fleet