Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Weapon groups  (Read 928 times)

DistressBeacon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Weapon groups
« on: January 11, 2021, 05:05:14 PM »

So I messing around with ships, admittedly some of them are modded but this extends to unmodded ships.

I found myself setting more niche weapons groups on some of my ships to better manage the flux and found a hard time fitting into the limited weapon groups. I was thinking maybe a more flexible system.

So here's my suggestion a player made list with names that they assign weapons too. For example the player can make group left, and left has the left side guns. They can navigate a small menu that's on the bottom left and select that group. If it's an important group they can assign a hotkey to it.  So the idea is since this is a navigable list it can scale and isn't as limited. Also that the player can make weapon groups that encompass weapons from other groups. So this lets you have finer flux control for certain situations but allows you have easy manual fire control still.

I think this would also be better flux management especially if you mixed anti-armor and anti-shield guns, you can have them hold fire while keeping the anti-shield on auto fire. Like for example left board side anti-shield keeps firing but you hold fire on the left side anti-armor, while the right broadside or forward facing anti-armor gun aren't affected.

Hopefully this was coherent, I'm not really good at organizing my thoughts but I thought it was interesting enough to share.
Pirate fleet pursing your fleet

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon groups
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 05:20:32 PM »

In case you aren't aware of this, there will be more weapon groups (7 I think) in the next update.

As far as your suggestion for custom weapon groups, the AI also needs to recognize each weapon group for managing autofire/direct fire behavior. Custom weapon groups therefore would need a way to understand how the player is setting up their build and I think that kind of logic would be very difficult to implement in a limitless scale like what would be intended for the player.

So while not a bad idea as far as customization for the player, the AI requirements would probably be too much for it to be possible.

DistressBeacon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 01:29:40 PM »

That is a good point.

I was under the impression the AI  just made it's own weapon groups with the auto-function.
Pirate fleet pursing your fleet

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 01:32:24 PM »

I was under the impression the AI  just made it's own weapon groups with the auto-function.
That would be hilarious! We need that added in.