Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: I want to translate the game into Spanish  (Read 2568 times)

DUBlajes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
I want to translate the game into Spanish
« on: January 05, 2021, 09:01:51 AM »

Hi there! I'm Alvaro, a Spanish gamer and videogame translator. I'm currently working on translating both Pathologic games into Spanish, and I want to try and do the same with StarSector, so more people know about the game.

My question is: Where can I find - or how can I have access- to all the in-game text (interface, dialogue...) so I can start translating?

Thanks in advance!

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: I want to translate the game into Spanish
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 02:31:53 PM »

Hi there, welcome to the forum! I'm going to move this into the 'modding' forum because thats where it fits best.

Much of the in game text is accessible in csv files: strings, rules, hints, hulls, and probably many more, I'd recommend searching for those files and seeing what they contain, but they are quite spread out. Your new versions of them can be packaged into a mod that replaces those so it can be toggled on and off.

There are also probably some hard coded text embedded in scripts, which is a lot harder: afaik quite a lot of the UI is not usually accessible to modders. There have been translations done in chinese for a while so you could try asking in that community if they have good ideas about how to go about it. If you run into specific things buried in scripts you could also either post requests in the suggestion forum or send Alex a PM and see what he says.

DUBlajes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 06:24:49 AM »

Thanks for all the information! The thing that worries me the most is the text embedded in scripts, but I'll try to contact the chinese community to see if they can help me. How can I contact Alex, tho?

Thanks in advance!

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 12:11:45 PM »

You're welcome! To send Alex a private message on the forum, the easiest way imo is to click on his name on any post he's commented on (many in Bug Reports and Support), or from the "Users Online" section at the bottom of the forum home page. Then in the 'actions' section of his profile click 'Send a Message'.

If you run into trouble turning your translation into a toggleable mod, you can ask questions here or can try on the unofficial discord as there is an active community of modders there as well.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 08:41:01 PM »

Unfortunately, there are a number of strings that are, to the best of my knowledge, hard-coded.  Primarily weapon description strings and a few other areas of the UI. I hope that Alex externalizes these things in the future, but I would imagine that remains a pretty low priority right now.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack