Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Grace period on launched patrol  (Read 993 times)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Grace period on launched patrol
« on: January 03, 2021, 11:18:01 PM »

Just had a situation where I went transponder-off to buy something from a black market... and was instantly accosted by a patrol that literally wasn't even visible on-screen because it was still in the process of spawning in.

I'd suggest that a newly-generated patrol should not attempt to go after anyone (player or hostile NPC fleets either one) until at least it's gotten out to its 'preparing for patrol duty' orbit.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Grace period on launched patrol
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 02:57:42 PM »

Good call - made them ignore the player (and other fleets) for a few seconds. I think having them be non-reactive for the entire "preparing" duration might be a bit much.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 03:08:34 PM »

I think having them be non-reactive for the entire "preparing" duration might be a bit much.
Agreed - those orbiting patrols are most of what makes stealth approaches tricky - and why I didn't suggest that.

Though on further consideration, I'd probably use the same time delay as the temporary non-interactable state you get when you successfully withdraw from combat with an enemy fleet.

Good call - made them ignore the player (and other fleets) for a few seconds.
And also thank you!
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 04:31:07 PM »

Though on further consideration, I'd probably use the same time delay as the temporary non-interactable state you get when you successfully withdraw from combat with an enemy fleet.

Hmm - iirc that's a bit randomized, and the backend mechanics are a bit different anyway. I think it's longer than the 3 seconds I've set the patrols to just now, but, regardless: anything will be better than a patrol spawning and insta-intercepting you when you've *almost* managed to get in.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 09:40:12 PM »

Hmm - iirc that's a bit randomized, and the backend mechanics are a bit different anyway. I think it's longer than the 3 seconds I've set the patrols to just now, but, regardless: anything will be better than a patrol spawning and insta-intercepting you when you've *almost* managed to get in.
My two cents: any fleet leaving a planet starts with 0 (or even negative!) sensor strength and ramp up over time until fully functional.
This can prevent player abuse the current proposal and drive-by black market shopping.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.