Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Ship tier list  (Read 32964 times)

RustyCabbage

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Ship tier list
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2021, 02:20:09 PM »

Alright, I feel like sharing my own hot takes today:
Spoiler
[close]

Assumptions: combat only, AI controlled, accounting for DP budget, assuming they're being used at the appropriate phase of the game (you're not running many frigates in cap-spam late game), no LP ships (since there's such a drastic difference between default and restored versions), no skins unless they're noticeably different.
Nothing seems super out of the ordinary for the rules you set, but I'm curious, what's the reasoning behind Eagle being C tier? Sure it's nothing crazy but it seems like a solid AI ship all around.
I've mentioned before somewhere that I think most cruisers are pretty overrated for credit/DP budgets (especially after taking limited officers into consideration), so it's mostly that. And in the end ~29 out of 51 rated ships puts it close to average which imo is not inappropriate. "Nothing crazy" is an apt descriptor for it.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2021, 02:32:43 PM »

The venture is B- because it offers benefits in relation to the Mora carriers, which compete for the same niche, those benefits are being cheaper (15 DP Vs. 20 DP, 3 fuel/lightyear Vs. 4 fuel/lightyear), having a better shield(7.000 base capacitors Vs. 4.000 base capacitors, 300 dissipation Vs. 200 dissipation, same everything else*), which is more important for suport ships than for main line ships, and having the surveing equipament hullmod.
The Gryphon is D tier because it does not offer anything substatially better or different than the Heron, which is it's main competitor for it's role, it's not cheaper(20 DP Vs. 20 DP, 3 fuel/lightyear Vs. 3 fuel/lightyear), it does not have a better shield (5.000 base capacitors Vs. 5.000 base capacitors, 200 dissipation Vs. 300 dissipation, same everything else*) and no campain hullmod to help, even something as simple as a hullmod that make it cost half the supplies used on the campain map would make it go higher.
This in combination whit the extra danger Gryphon needs to expose itself to fight brings the conclusion that there is no reason to use the Gryphon other than for Roleplay and no carriers runs. If it was really terrible it would be F tier.

Ah. Well. No? Venture and Mora aren't competing at all, and neither are Heron and Gryphon. I think you may have the ships mixed up, or maybe are thinking of mod ships?

Mora and Heron are 3 deck carriers that compete with each other as carriers with different profiles. The Venture is a civilian missile/exploration ship with drones and missiles (but not that many, its more that it has very little else). The Venture does not have modular fighter bays: they are mining pods. The Gryphon is a dedicated missile ship and has no fighter bays.

Spoiler
[close]

Assumptions: combat only, AI controlled, accounting for DP budget, assuming they're being used at the appropriate phase of the game (you're not running many frigates in cap-spam late game), no LP ships (since there's such a drastic difference between default and restored versions), no skins unless they're noticeably different.

Comments: for me Condors to low C almost D tier and Gemini to C tier. With the current iteration of Reserve Deployments, the single deck of the Gemini is nearly better than the 2 decks of the Condor. At the same time it has medium ballistics so it can mount flak and/or a long range poking gun like an HVD. Its also faster... the Gemini is honestly a better combat ship than the Condor while also being a good freighter.

I also think Tempests are B tier and not A tier. For 8DP its competing with the Shrike/pirate shrike, and I honestly don't think its that much better. Honestly in AI control I think I'd actually prefer a well built Shrike than a Tempest, does that make them low B/C tier?

Without balance changes I'd move the Hammerhead to S tier and the Enforcer to C tier, purely because of their ability to be SO Assault Chaingun delivery mechanisms.

When taking into account factors outside of combat, I rate the Falcon as C tier because of its burn speed: supplementing a destroyer fleet with a few Falcons can be a good move and doesn't slow it down.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2021, 03:31:23 PM »

Since image tier lists attract more discussion, I decided to remake mine as an image as well. Though I use a bit different tiers, with A being too strong, F being too weak, the rest being acceptable, just ahead or behind the curve. I decided not to rate combat freighters, since I'm biased against them, but you can imagine all of them in D tier.
Spoiler
[close]

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2021, 03:49:53 PM »

How do you people even come up with rules for so many tiers? :D

For me it's just 3 tiers:

A) Premium choices for their roles. You might not want this role filled depending on your playstyle / stage of the game, but if you do, you want these ships.

B) Budget choices. Do their jobs and are usually easier to obtain than the premium alternatives.

C) Rubbish choices. Not necessarily useless, but there are always better alternatives trivially available. You will virtually never buy/restore these ships, but you might end up using d-modded ones when salvaged.

Spoiler
[close]

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2021, 03:53:06 PM »

How are you lot even making these?
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2021, 04:08:12 PM »

How are you lot even making these?

link in the OP. just made it more visible.

RustyCabbage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2021, 04:16:18 PM »

Spoiler
[close]

Comments: for me Condors to low C almost D tier and Gemini to C tier. With the current iteration of Reserve Deployments, the single deck of the Gemini is nearly better than the 2 decks of the Condor. At the same time it has medium ballistics so it can mount flak and/or a long range poking gun like an HVD. Its also faster... the Gemini is honestly a better combat ship than the Condor while also being a good freighter.

I also think Tempests are B tier and not A tier. For 8DP its competing with the Shrike/pirate shrike, and I honestly don't think its that much better. Honestly in AI control I think I'd actually prefer a well built Shrike than a Tempest, does that make them low B/C tier?

Without balance changes I'd move the Hammerhead to S tier and the Enforcer to C tier, purely because of their ability to be SO Assault Chaingun delivery mechanisms.

When taking into account factors outside of combat, I rate the Falcon as C tier because of its burn speed: supplementing a destroyer fleet with a few Falcons can be a good move and doesn't slow it down.
Hm...
I do however remember someone (Hiruma Kai? pairedeciseaux?) pitting 6 Condors vs 5 Drovers (or 12v10) with the former winning. Would 8 Geminis beat 6 Drovers the same way? - I'm guessing not, but I should run it to see. And then would 10 Gemini beat 9 Condors? Flak helps a lot, I suppose.

I also like Shrikes, but Tempests are still better at a distraction and frigate hunting role, plus Plasma Burn has an unfortunate habit of getting your ship killed when you should have a flawless victory which can be mildly annoying. Tempests should probably be lower down in A though - past the Gryphon maybe.

I didn't really think about SO fits, hm (though I guess the Apogee doesn't deserve its spot without it). I'd maybe consider a DaddyPants-style SO/CH Talon Hammerhead to be S tier, but more likely I'd say it's more top of A like the Paragon. As for Enforcers... even with SO they're still only at their best with the very limited linked 4x small missiles, which is probably enough to put them above the combat freighters, but not much further.

And yeah, I love Falcons for the burn speed alone, but that factor is excluded from this list.

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2021, 04:51:20 PM »

Isn't this around the 3rd ship tier list thread that's cropped up?
At least make a Fighter tier list or a Weapon tier list to spice things up a bit, at this point

forgot about this on the last post, but the reason it is cropped is because the ships don't follow the same proportions, even on the better protrait mode it is still croped, the only way around this issue is to edit the images to all be squares, this way it ends up loking better but some ships would be smaller/bigger than they actually are.

there is a fighter and weapon tier list in there aredy, but it also has hullmods and the fighters don't have their weapons which is weird, the best way I can think about doing this is to take a bunch of screenshots and cutting out the outside of the image, but it will take some time, which I will have tomorrow.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2021, 11:54:13 PM »

@pedro1_1 https://dictionary.cambridge.org/pl/dictionary/english/crop-up
Hm...
I do however remember someone (Hiruma Kai? pairedeciseaux?) pitting 6 Condors vs 5 Drovers (or 12v10) with the former winning. Would 8 Geminis beat 6 Drovers the same way? - I'm guessing not, but I should run it to see. And then would 10 Gemini beat 9 Condors? Flak helps a lot, I suppose.
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=18804.0

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2021, 12:34:42 AM »

Spoiler
[close]

If I was to draft up a list.

S tier are above and beyond, so include the meme ships and the unique tug that has no counterpart that I know of.

A tier for the reliable and dependable ships that really can do no wrong. They aren't all equal but for their various categories they do all right. I value destroyer tier supply ship over the larger ones personally as they are generally better/faster for their size even if not great later in the game when you just need more.

B tier if for the ships that aren't great, but are hardly terrible. Ships that didn't make the cut but aren't generally just bad.

C tier for the unreliables or the generally 'why bother's if the fleet. They can work, but that's a lot of effort you could use elsewhere.

D tier is for cannon fodder that is almost or totally unusable. It's heresy to probably put the buffalo there, but she rarely survives a few seconds in any of my battles.

Overall I rate most ships as being decent enough, and you could argue above or below for the variants that I chose not to list as they are just stat changes rather then load-out changes. I could put many of these up or down a tier depending on the circumstances, like say the vigilance which can execute destroyers on it's own, but is far more likely to get murdered on the day-to-day battle.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2021, 02:25:17 AM »

I have a conspiracy theory that the person who starts these tier list posts intentionally makes one that's, well let's just say "weird" so it gets more responses since others want to give out their "right" opinions. This is the 3rd one and in every one OP made a very questionable tier list. Now obviously tier lists in this game aren't nowhere near as important or tell you much in any way since there's too many variables. I mean it's just a simple ship tier list and you can see everybody has their own logic by which they sort the tiers (which is imo dumb, you should be ideally making it the same way as OP to avoid confusion). Someone here made one with 3 tiers... like what? You can't tell anything from that, I'd argue you'd need at least 6 tiers to easily put ships into their own place.

I thought of posting my own one here since I already made it for the last thread but now I see it needs some changes. And I honestly can't even think in the current vanilla since the whole tournament used the balance changes from the patch notes. So I'd be making changes only to make the list completely irrelevant in whatever time the update drops.

Note to those who'll still put their tier lists here: Specify if your list assumes all ships piloted by AI, player or just the average. Ignoring campaign elements is kinda weird since the whole point of the list is to give a picture how each ship is useful in the actual game. I mean RustyCabbage put the Mule and Shepherd in D tier, that's crazy (yes I know it only assumes combat).
Please don't take me too seriously.

RustyCabbage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2021, 08:52:37 AM »

Hm...
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=18804.0
Ah, I was thinking of this post, but yeah that thread sums it up much better.

I have a conspiracy theory that the person who starts these tier list posts intentionally makes one that's, well let's just say "weird" so it gets more responses since others want to give out their "right" opinions. This is the 3rd one and in every one OP made a very questionable tier list. Now obviously tier lists in this game aren't nowhere near as important or tell you much in any way since there's too many variables. I mean it's just a simple ship tier list and you can see everybody has their own logic by which they sort the tiers (which is imo dumb, you should be ideally making it the same way as OP to avoid confusion). Someone here made one with 3 tiers... like what? You can't tell anything from that, I'd argue you'd need at least 6 tiers to easily put ships into their own place.

I thought of posting my own one here since I already made it for the last thread but now I see it needs some changes. And I honestly can't even think in the current vanilla since the whole tournament used the balance changes from the patch notes. So I'd be making changes only to make the list completely irrelevant in whatever time the update drops.

Note to those who'll still put their tier lists here: Specify if your list assumes all ships piloted by AI, player or just the average. Ignoring campaign elements is kinda weird since the whole point of the list is to give a picture how each ship is useful in the actual game. I mean RustyCabbage put the Mule and Shepherd in D tier, that's crazy (yes I know it only assumes combat).
As you say, tier lists are pretty unhelpful in general since you're mapping a high dimensional data point (how "good" a ship is) into a single line. For me, the only way to make it somewhat useful is to be very specific about what the output represents.

Like, what does this tier list tell you?
Spoiler
[close]
This is roughly a list about how much I value ships in campaign. It tells you that I like to smuggle (Mule P), I like fast burn speeds (Falcon jumps up two tiers, most capitals drop drastically), I don't like unnecessary costs (capitals drop, low tech drops 'cuz of fuel usage), etc. It doesn't address how I don't prioritize bounties much or exploration early, or that by the time I use capitals I'm usually in the post-scarcity phase of the game anyway, and if I don't mention it, whether or not these ratings change if I'm more inclined to personally pilot the ship, etc. Sure. Now how do you map it to your own experience? Well, you don't, because everyone's playing the campaign their own way. At least with the other tier list, someone like Thaago can argue that Geminis outperform Condors in combat (whether or not this is true, I dunno still, but we have some common ground to work with).

Hence why I find it hard to comment on other people's tier lists, Generally, I have little idea what criteria people are using to categorize the ships so by default, I'm going to view it as a scale for "how much do I like this ship?" Which can be neat, but it's probably not going to change my mind on anything.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2021, 09:04:45 AM »

I mean, I could give you a blow by blow on every ship in the game..... but that isn't likely to be very digestible either.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2021, 09:13:33 AM »

I think the fact that tier lists spark so much debate here is a good sign that the ships are really well balanced in a bigger picture.  If we disagree on what ship is best for what, when and for whom, that's GOOD.  That means there's plenty of room for folks to explore, experiment, find their way and succeed on their own terms, rather than see a concise, cynical game guide that just says "get this ship, go here, kill that, win," which in my opinion is kind of a death knell for a game.  Being an Atlas mkII aficionado myself, I admit it makes me dramatic when I see someone list as bottom tier because I think it's the most amazing hunk of junk in the sector--but that's the point--the fact that we disagree means the game's deep enough to keep us interested.  It means the game's not "solved" yet and there's still valid questions to ask.

That said, the atlas MkII is a godlike ship for 24 DP and YOU CANNOT CHANGE MY MIND though I respect your right to try.  ;D

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2021, 09:19:47 AM »

It's a top tier cruiser, listed incorrectly as a capitalship, that's for sure!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4