Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Game virtually unplayable the minute a capital ships appears on screen  (Read 760 times)

Ghosty

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I haven't got a clue what I'm doing with computers I just like playing games. I've seen this problem come up multiple times where the game will be running smoothly and suddenly freeze when a capital ship comes on screen other than the dominator that I am using. I got the new big ship and immediately went after the biggest pirate fleet I thought I could handle (this being the first encounter with capital ships) and it froze for about 5 seconds before the game continuing but the visuals remaining frozen. I could pause the game and even interact with the pause menu if I found roughly where it was behind the frozen visuals.

I've tried everything suggested on these forums, turning off anti virus, giving it more priority in task manager, running in different resolutions and not in full-screen, running as an admin, I updated my laptops driver too.

Its not a gaming laptop but it plays much more intensive games than this and has no issue. Bearing in mind this issue doesn't effect the frame rate which stays at a consistent 60 even in the big battles.

Has anyone had this issue and found a fix as I've fallen in love with this game.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Game virtually unplayable the minute a capital ships appears on screen
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 11:26:16 AM »

Hi - I'm sorry about the trouble! Would you mind looking through this thread?

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=18624.0

It sounds like it might be the same issue. If so, unfortunately I'm not sure that there's a solution since it seems like an issue with the graphics drivers...

petrojelly

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 01:44:33 AM »

Hello Alex, indeed, this is affecting a considerable amount of the playerbase that may warrant a closer look. Could something like a hotfix before the next release be considered?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 09:10:38 AM »

Hi - I've replied here regarding some aspects of it (in particular, getting it to show up fullscreen in the way you've found that doesn't seem to crash for you):
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=18624.msg305292#msg305292

Generally speaking, though, this - unfortunately - doesn't sound like anything I can do much to fix on my end! It's most likely some sort driver/hardware issue.