Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: (S)top the fleet - Key Command  (Read 923 times)

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
(S)top the fleet - Key Command
« on: January 01, 2021, 07:20:58 AM »

For clarification, this thing:

From the description given, this command should do one of two things depending on context.
  • A press-then-release should stop the fleet wherever it is, where it then holds position
  • A press-then-hold should slow the fleet down to the highest speed it can travel while remaining hidden (aka - very slow)

2 works fine.
1 does not.
When the fleet is moving, pressing and releasing <S> instead of stopping the fleet, instead reverses the direction of travel. And once reversed, the fleet continues flying in that direction without input until its covered some non-trivial distance.

Unsure if this is a bug or not, but its annoying me fiercely as it constantly trips me up thinking I can just press a button to stop but I end up moving away from what I wanted to stop near.
Anyone else ever see it do this?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 07:47:57 AM by Serenitis »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: (S)top the fleet - Key Command
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 09:38:37 AM »

There is a bug with it, though I don't remember exactly what it was (since it's fixed in the dev version); I think it's to do with the fleet starting to move again towards an old destination once you release S, after it was stopped. But the intended behavior is that you need to hold down the key, and:

1) If you don't have a course laid in and are not pressing down LMB to move somewhere/clicked on something (like a planet) to move towards it, you stop
2) Otherwise, you slow down

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: (S)top the fleet - Key Command
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 04:01:45 AM »

Great, good to know it's in hand.

It's taken me a while to convince myself I'm not just imagining nonsense, but the consistency of the weirdness got a bit too great.
Tbf, it does stop the fleet on press. But it only does so after flying you 'backwards' for a considerable distance.
More than long enough that once moving you can press S to effectively 'bounce' your fleet between 2 points indefinitely.

Many thanks for all the effort you continue to put into this!