Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] A Guide to (AI-Friendly) Ship Loadouts  (Read 73335 times)

RustyCabbage

• Captain
    • View Profile
[0.9.1a] A Guide to (AI-Friendly) Ship Loadouts
« on: December 31, 2020, 10:08:24 AM »

(Note for the 0.95a update: Fundamentals still apply in 0.95a, but the guide will get an update pass eventually)

Hi all, a while back I wrote a guide in collaboration with some other experienced players from the Discord on designing ship loadouts which has gotten a decent amount of positive feedback. SCC helpfully reminded me that I'd yet to make a forum post for it, so I guess here is that forum post.

A Guide to (AI-Friendly) Ship Loadouts

It's quite long, but hopefully also quite comprehensive.

I'll happily take any thoughts or questions people have regarding the guide in this thread.

Some other resources you might find handy:

SCC’s Guides:

Lortus' Ship Loadout Guide [updated for 0.95.1a]

The Starsector Wiki. Particularly helpful for me are:
(Do note that information can occasionally be outdated on the wiki - if you ever notice these things I'm sure our wiki administrators would appreciate gentle corrections and additions)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] A Guide to (AI-Friendly) Ship Loadouts
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 01:47:57 PM »

An excellent, if long, guide! Pinned.

Jonlissla

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 02:53:16 PM »

Okay, let me be the first to say I did NOT expect a 41 page document with links and formulas. I'm impressed, good work.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 02:55:43 PM »

Good call pinning this! For some reason that didn't occur to me. And, yeah, this guide is absolutely top-notch stuff.

RustyCabbage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 03:24:36 PM »

An excellent, if long, guide! Pinned.
Good call pinning this! For some reason that didn't occur to me. And, yeah, this guide is absolutely top-notch stuff.
Thank you both! I really didn't expect this to get a pin - I'll work on keeping the OP updated with other helpful ship design resources whenever I'm made aware of them.

Okay, let me be the first to say I did NOT expect a 41 page document with links and formulas. I'm impressed, good work.
Cheers! Eventually I'd like add some more information on stuff like Reinforced Bulkheads vs Armor and weapon efficiencies versus (stripped) armor, but the math isn't quite as simple and I've been a bit lazy on figuring it out. :b

stormbringer951

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 04:26:50 PM »

This guide is a great resource; it's been battle-tested on a lot of people in the new player help channel on the Discord server and has been really helpful for onboarding people and helping them understand a lot of ship-fitting concepts, rules of thumb, and build archetypes and cool tricks.
Weapons Group Controls mod - deselect all weapon groups, hold-down hold-fire mode, toggle alternating/linked fire
Captain's Log - throw away your notepad: custom notes, ruins and salvageable reminders
Old Hyperion - for your dose of nostalgia
Adjustable Skill Thresholds - set fleet DP and fighter bay thresholds

FAX

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 10:51:18 PM »

I'm glad to see such an excellent guide appears, would you like me to translate it to Chinese? ;)

Flying Birdy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2020, 11:13:46 PM »

This is absolutely great! I've literally been playing with nothing but 4+ d-mod drovers with reinforced bulkheads for like 2 years now. This guide gives a lot of perspective and ideas to try for my AI ships.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2021, 01:45:29 AM »

SCC helpfully reminded me that I'd yet to make a forum post for it, so I guess here is that forum post.
I told you man!
You don't need to put links to my stuff in this thread, though. Hopefully, we'll make a thread to compile this help stuff soon.

RustyCabbage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2021, 02:06:09 PM »

This guide is a great resource; it's been battle-tested on a lot of people in the new player help channel on the Discord server and has been really helpful for onboarding people and helping them understand a lot of ship-fitting concepts, rules of thumb, and build archetypes and cool tricks.
:D

I'm glad to see such an excellent guide appears, would you like me to translate it to Chinese? ;)
Talked to you a bit via Discord, but I'd like to reiterate that I'm super honoured that you would even consider this.

This is absolutely great! I've literally been playing with nothing but 4+ d-mod drovers with reinforced bulkheads for like 2 years now. This guide gives a lot of perspective and ideas to try for my AI ships.
Thank you; I hope your attempts go well!

I told you man!
You don't need to put links to my stuff in this thread, though. Hopefully, we'll make a thread to compile this help stuff soon.
Eh, I can easily edit them out whenever we get that compilation thread. In the mean time, more visibility for more good content.

SirBrodacious

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 09:05:38 AM »

Thank you so much for making this, since I pretty much couldn't play the game past a certain point since I'm a tad bit dumb when it comes to actual tactical games like this, being the person that just doesn't understand them much. This is so helpful!

RustyCabbage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 04:37:07 PM »

Thank you so much for making this, since I pretty much couldn't play the game past a certain point since I'm a tad bit dumb when it comes to actual tactical games like this, being the person that just doesn't understand them much. This is so helpful!
Glad you find it useful! Hopefully it isn't too overwhelming--shipbuilding isn't too complex once you get the hang of it, but the initial learning curve can be a bit hefty.

Sotales

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2021, 12:39:18 PM »

This is great. I just came back to the game with the new update and I'm sure I will be referring to this often. Wonder how the new skill tree update shakes things up.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2021, 01:07:41 PM »

This is great. I just came back to the game with the new update and I'm sure I will be referring to this often. Wonder how the new skill tree update shakes things up.
Don't put too much faith in this OLD guide. There are enough changes in versions to make it Obsolete.

RustyCabbage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2021, 01:27:38 PM »

Absolutely ancient; I'm not even sure vents give 10 dissipation anymore :p

(I'll be updating this... eventually. The broad strokes should still be correct, but it'll need a new section on officers and skills, new screenshots and double-checking for minute changes, among other things.)
Pages: [1] 2