Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Diablo-style randomly improved loot.  (Read 8539 times)

Shield

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo-style randomly improved loot.
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 11:58:01 AM »

Surely the "emotional attachment" thing with the finished game will come from the officers assigned to each ship? It's not there yet because officers haven't been implemented, but I'm sure that's the idea of the whole officers with varied skills thing.

Well, the attachment with the officers will be just that, attachment with the officers. To like the ship the ship has to be special.

Just think of likeable ships like the Serenity (Firefly) or the Millennium Falcon. If those were just run-of-the-mill ships seen everywhere on screen, it would be hard to feel about them at all.

This is a fair point, but I don't think Diablo style loot is the way to achieve a sense of uniqueness. Checking whether every single battery on your Conquest battlecruiser is better than the floating bits of detritus in space after a battle is not a sense of uniqueness, it's a sense of tedium.

I think having 'unique named ships' show up in the vein of EV Nova, or rare, extremely hard to find ships with unique sprites, or personalized paint schemes and increased base OP or engine values (through character engineering skill)-- would be a better way.

Or how about faction unique version of ships, I think that would be better as opposed to a diablo loot system.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 12:05:57 PM »

That's also a good idea.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 07:32:54 AM »

How about a compromise.. Instead of just "random" loot, instead have modifiers (egos if you have played rougelikes) for weapons or ships... For instance, in the game I am thinking of you could have a dagger, or a sharp dagger. Sharp being the modifier that applies a small amount of extra damage...

So we could have a MG, or a Heavy Barrel MG, which increases range and accuracy, but decreases fire rate.. That sort of system would add a lot of item diversity without any one type being inherently better... Though it would add a lot of clutter...

Not saying something like this should be implemented, just throwing it out there as a option.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 08:28:59 AM »

Eh... I really don't like the idea of having modifiers on weapons. The balance is tricky enough as it is. If the effects are small, then why bother adding the complication to the game? If the effects are large and the balance isn't perfect, then players will really really want a particular one - then the situation hasn't been changed at all other than a bunch of inferior weapons cluttering up inventory.

I think that being able to find ships that are better than a normal blueprint - extra OP would be an easy way to do this - would be a nice way to add uniqueness to the game. Finding and repairing the hulk of the legendary onslaught Odin (35 extra -10% - OP) would be nice in my book.

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 09:29:34 AM »

Some unique ships would make more since as there will be a lot less of them than weapon types... Plus more OP or slightly better stats would be pretty fun..

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 09:32:59 AM »

These ideas have all been tossed around before. I think they are all needless, though.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire
Pages: 1 [2]