Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Spectator mode  (Read 2334 times)

zwickbt15

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Spectator mode
« on: April 02, 2012, 05:56:54 AM »

I was playing a mission the other day, and I was feeling like a terrible commander as I abandoned my destroyer, which was presently swarming with enemy fighters after I accidently got out of position, for one of my capitol ships. As my tiny shuttle pod flew across the battlefield to my capitol ship, I observed some epic battles going on throughout: fighters swarming destroyers, capitol ships going head to head, etc. I thought, how awesome would it be to observe and spectate these battles?

So here are my thoughts on how this could work: the "spectator" could just be a small ship, like the shuttle pod. Perhaps the animation for switching to spectator mode would be similar to the animation that occurs when one transfers command to another ship. The shuttle pod would be incapable of attacking, being attacked, colliding with other ships, being collided with, etc. and would have a top speed of 250 to 300, unaffected by nebulae. Perhaps the zoom out could be increased so that the field of vision is a bit bigger. Also, the spectator would have vision of the whole battlefield on the mini map (i.e. no fog of war).

Of course, the intelligence gained from this last bit could affect gameplay. In response to this, you could make it so that, if one chooses to go into spectator mode, one cannot go back to pilot any other craft, leaving the other ships to make decisions based on the AI. I think that one should still be able to execute commands on the mini map (you're still a commander after all), setting rally points and capturing objectives and such.

So if you run into a larger fleet that you know you can beat, and you like a good show, you can start the battle, switch on spectator mode, sit back and watch the destruction.

Cryten

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Spectator mode
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 05:58:39 AM »

are you aware of turning on AI piloting and then switching camera view to track other friendly vessels using the map commands?

zwickbt15

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 06:02:50 AM »

Yes, but this is different in two ways: 1, it allows you to move freely instead of seeing it from only one ship's point of view, and 2, it is permanent. Currently, when one looks at the video feed of another ship, the vision goes back to your ship once you glance at the mini map. True, they are similar, but this would be slightly more powerful/open ended/controllable. You get the idea.

Apophis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 08:56:16 AM »

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 09:36:25 AM »

I've been playing a lot of DOTA2 lately and one of the cool features is being able to watch any game from anyone, or any of your previous games... Basically it records every game played. Something like that for Starfarer would be nice... Once my fleet gets large I don't always get to see what it going on outside of my sight range. I hear a ship of mine or one of the enemy's ships get destroyed and I have no way of seeing what actually happened... So anyway, a way to save a battle and revisit it or review it would be awesome.