Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Strike Class Railguns  (Read 5604 times)

Cryten

• Commander
    • View Profile
Strike Class Railguns
« on: March 31, 2012, 12:30:13 AM »

This is a little bit like the needs more long ranged weapons suggestion but I feel a bit more thematically and balancably appropriate.

What I suggest is a single long range bombard fire support weapon for the large ballistic slot.

Strike Railgun

Range 4000-6000 depending on dev balance
Missile speed: I dont know the value but equivilent to the fast ballistic bullets
Damage: 300  Kinetic
Shots per minet: 15
Ammunition: 50

The point of this weapon is to emphasise the fact that large slugs shot at high speed can become perceivable threats at super long range, cruiser class vessel will be able to engage in perliminary bombardments of enemy fleets long before skirmishing takes place and in appropriatly large numbers can bring down smaller class vessel with wittling gunfire. The bullets will use a slight prediction based on the enemies current path and then fire the slug. The bullet ideally will take about 2-4 seconds to reach its destination at mid to max distances. Bullet size will be reasonably large at about harpoon missile sizing.

Damage should provide a sizeable bump to shielded target, punch through light armor, but only do light damage to heavy armor. Thus ideally is kinetic. Since it is in a support roll the dps should aid in taking down large vessels but should not be particularly op against light vessels, thus the travel time. If a lucky hit arrives it should destroy a fighter instantly and seriously scare a frigate.

The idea revolves around having multiple support vessels engaging in a long range fight to soften up vessels before the main fleet engages, it should never be appropriate to bring into a dogfight compared to proper assualt weaponry, but naturally at close ranges the sheer speed will make smaller vessel get scared. The ultimate counter to the weapon will be like all support fire vessels, fightering wings overwealming such a slow firing weapon.

I put some thought into this and I think it fits. What do you think?

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Strike Class Railguns
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 02:28:37 AM »

Basically Tachyon Lance with higher damage but less effective against small fast craft? I like.
I will play this whenever I bring my ships into battle.

Cryten

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 03:27:33 AM »

There are some function diifferences though, but it fufills the same role in a uniquely ballistic way.

The travel time adds a unique element of dodging unlike the basically instant tachyon lance, ships going round the sides of the map will likely be hard to hit with this weapon. The kinetic damage type stops the weapon from being to power at blowing up cruisers from afar but puts reasonable pressure on shields since you would want to avoid losing armor integreity.

I am in this suggestion hoping to strike a balance of being a bit stronger against shields to make up for the miss chance.

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 04:00:29 AM »

Exactly. It can be dodged, so you can't use it to stab fighters and frigates out of the sky instantly.
More like artillery than sniper support.
It should be good enough to force shields to be raised to avoid taking too much damage, which would slow down enemy fleets.

evil713

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 12:57:22 PM »

Since it would lack the instant hit ability of the lances, should it not have much greater firepower then?

Ah id just like it to be the first dual damage weapon, double tap fired kenetic then explosive. The second shot 0.8 behind the first.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 03:42:21 PM »

You could ask Alex for modable damage types. Can't be that hard, depends on the hardcoded damage calculations though.

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 05:15:52 PM »

*Bangs head on desk*

STRIKE WEAPONS are close-ranged heavy hitters.

FIRE SUPPORT weapons are long-ranged.

Your Railgun would be FIRE SUPPORT, not STRIKE.  However, some sort of Strike Railgun (Close range high damage) would be sweet.

Cryten

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 07:10:29 PM »

Firesupport is such a wussy name :P Anyway more seriously I named it strike class because of what it does not for the in game mechanics. Long range strikes. However I dont want to spend more time on pointless red herrings Id rather talk about suggestions.

Soridan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 10:23:14 PM »

Firesupport is such a wussy name :P

Right up until you see a real life artillery barrage. ;D

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile