Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Add a way to filter planets by resource availability in the Intel screen.  (Read 1592 times)

Nixxel

• Ensign
    • View Profile

So, today after a hours long surveying trip, I wanted to see which planets were good candidates for colonization and tech-mining.
I remembered that the intel screen had a list of planets, so I went to check it out, and...

There is no option to filter planets by colony conditions. Since I have surveyed literally hundreds of planets, it'll take quite a while to write down the planets I'm interested in.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Add a way to filter planets by resource availability in the Intel screen.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 10:30:15 AM »

Sorting by class is usually helpful to find the really high quality habitable worlds, and sorting by type can help find specific resources like volatiles (since they only spawn on certain world types). But yeah, it's bit of a pain.

Also, tech mining is pretty useless in my experience, don't waste your time and just make a different industry that will make you money.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 10:35:32 AM »

I prefer to use the sector map to check each system individually, since no individual planet will make a good colony target, only a bunch of them.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 02:18:25 AM »

Honestly, the planets intel tab is not all that useful.
Just about the only thing I've ever used it for is seeing where ruins are in the core so I can do some early salvage (which will become impossible in the next version).
If I want to choose colony sites I use the same method as SCC, as the map allows you to pick a system and tally up it's resources, and in the same screen flick to another nearby star allowing multiple systems to be viewed much quickly than trying to use the intel list.

Imo it would be more useful if it were a systems tab and showed the contents of an entire system, which could then be opened up to allow further investigation.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 01:34:55 PM by Serenitis »

DeimosEvotec

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 03:38:00 AM »

I always sort by distance, so planets in the same system are grouped together which makes it easy to appraise the systems as a whole.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 09:10:35 AM »

An option to group planets in the same system together, regardless of other filters, would be useful.