Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Remember "Show Fuel Range" setting on Intel screen  (Read 2739 times)

Morathar

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Remember "Show Fuel Range" setting on Intel screen
« on: January 15, 2019, 07:19:32 AM »

I find that I'm frequently switching from the Intel screen to other screens (Crew/Cargo, Fleet, etc.) in order to check my supplies (do I have enough to make it to that planet, survey it, and make it back?), my cargo space (do I have the room for this procurement contract?), and my fleet (do I think I can take this bounty?). Then, when I switch back to the Intel screen it has cleared the fuel range indicator on the map and I'm forced to turn it on again. This can get rather tedious if I'm going through a dozen or more new items on the Intel screen. It would be nice if the Intel screen saved the current "Show Fuel Range" setting so that those of us who use it are not constantly having to turn it back on...

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Remember "Show Fuel Range" setting on Intel screen
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 08:40:49 AM »

Thank you, made a note - it should probably do that, yeah.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 10:03:55 AM »

In general it would be nice if the intel screen map showed your base map settings. (So you could turn off the starscape et al)

pairedeciseaux

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 12:20:35 PM »

I was about to open a new thread, but this one, although two years old, seems to be appropriate.

Remembering the state of the “Show Fuel Range” toggle in the intel screen would be a simple and welcome quality of life improvement. Yes it’s still a thing in 0.9.1. I guess most players hit “w” (or “q” on AZERTY keyboard) using muscle memory.

I think it would be appropriate to add this in a future (hopefully not too distant) release, unless an intel screen re-work is in the pipe. I am phrasing it this way, because personally I don’t see the point of having both intel screen and dedicated map screen, IMO they should be merged using the map screen as a baseline … because A the map screen is smarter (see below) and B the map screen is able to use larger screen resolution to show more content (I should probably reserve judgment on this until I have seen how UI scaling will change the intel screen in version 0.95).

It’s a bit frustrating if you compare the intel screen to the dedicated map screen. The map screen is “smarter”: it lets the player choose the starscape background, it lets the player choose whether to show fuel range or not, it lets the player choose whether to show exploration status or not, it remembers all those settings so if player leaves the screen and comes back later everything is there as set by the player before, and it remembers all those settings even if player closes the game and comes back.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 03:33:54 PM »

... let me do that while I'm thinking about it! There we go.

... and B the map screen is able to use larger screen resolution to show more content

Just fundamentally, the map screen is able to show more content *because* it doesn't have a ton of UI space dedicated to browsing intel items.

(I should probably reserve judgment on this until I have seen how UI scaling will change the intel screen in version 0.95).

(The UI scaling won't change the UI layout at all, btw.)

pairedeciseaux

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 01:30:00 AM »

... let me do that while I'm thinking about it! There we go.

Nice!

Let me explain further the intel vs map point from the perspective of a user playing in 2560x1440 on a 27 inches display:

Spoiler
I guess on my display the intel screen will change from this in version 0.9.1 (1):

+-------------------------+
  |                         |
  |      +--+-----+--+      |
  |      |  |XXXXX|  |      |
  |      +--+-----+--+      |
  |                         |

To something close to this with version 0.95 thanks to UI scaling (2):

+-----+-------------+-----+
  |     |XXXXXXXXXXXXX|     |
  +-----+-------------+-----+

Which could mean, from a user point of view, more map information displayed when map is zoomed out. Sure, I expect the non-map elements to be the same, just bigger, so for example the max number of events displayed at once on the left side will remain the same, which is fine.

In case it wasn't obvious, on my display the dedicated map screen looks like this in version 0.9.1 (3):

|XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX|

Hence, I much prefer (3) compared to (1) because of the greater surface in addition to "smart" features mentionned in my previous message. But even (2) shall be a big improvement compared to (1), that's the part I reserve judgment on until I see how it works.
[close]

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 12:03:18 PM »

Ah, I see - thank you for clarifying! That makes a lot of sense.

The intel tab has a maximum width - including the list on the left, the map, and the intel detail on the right - of 1600 pixels. Which means that at around 150% UI scale, on your display, it should take just about the whole width and height of the screen (with a touch of padding on the sides).

The map doesn't have a maximum width or height (because it doesn't suffer from readability issues if it's "too wide") so right now it handles higher resolutions more smoothly.

(I will note that 2560x1440 is a bit of an unfortunate resolution for Starsector, since the minimum vertical supported is 768. This means that you can't quite get to 200% scaling - which looks considerably nicer than an in-between scaling amount, and doesn't require anti-aliasing to boot. Still, it should look fine, just not super crisp the way it would on a 4k.)