Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Ally commands  (Read 1054 times)

clown_hand

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Ally commands
« on: December 26, 2020, 01:26:17 PM »

When fighting with allies, two situations happen way too much: either they don't stop calling new ships as reinforcement and you can't deploy your own ships because they used up all the available deployment points, or they don't bring reinforcements at all, leaving you to fight by yourself. This could be easily solved by introducing two new commands:

1) Ask for allies to STOP sending in new ships do you can use the deployment points to bring in your own ships into the battle
2) Ask for allies to FILL all available deployment points by sending in their ships as reinforcement.

PyroFuzz

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Ally commands
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 01:14:22 PM »

Some sort of Ally coordination would be highly appreciated. I personally don't have to many troubles with it but some sort of deployment point organization or even broad orders would make ally assisted combat just a little more spicy.
Hello!

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 01:33:48 PM »

NPCs have unlimited resources, player does not.  Let NPCs do all of the player's dirty work.  Therefore...  "Allies! Be my cannon fodder (while my fleet hides in the back, undeployed)!"

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 01:56:04 PM »

I've had issues before in a station defense where the allies run out of PPT and don't retreat and there are 0 PPT allied ships floating around wasting deployment points. I eventually just destroyed them because I needed more ships to defend the station, but it felt bad.

I also find it annoying when I retreat ships and the allies immediately fill that DP with small ships when I was trying to save DP to deploy big ships. If the allies are enough to win, sure it's fine, but if the allied ships are weak and causing you to take damage/lose the ships you deploy when you could win with a full deployment of your own ships, it's annoying.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 02:09:59 PM »

Unless its really early game and I'm joining a fleet battle for xp/rep/loot, I try and avoid allied battles unless its my own faction (in which case its mostly roleplay reasons that I join in). AI ships tend to be bad compared to the player loadouts, they don't follow orders, and for some bizarre reason they aren't all reckless either. I'd rather deploy my own superior per DP ships and have an easier battle.

I suppose having more officers than the max might be worth it in a hypothetical end game allied fleet? But even then I think it would need to be a near max level officer to be as useful as a no officer ship from the player's fleet that follows order/pushes in.