Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: failed to save game  (Read 2273 times)

n3xuiz

• Commander
    • View Profile
failed to save game
« on: December 22, 2020, 02:41:05 AM »

today i played some hours of starsector and fought many battles (~30).

after that i wanted to save my game. when i save my game right after loading it it takes about 3 seconds. this time steadily increases after more playtime. now after all these battles the game failes to save completely. the save progress bar is visually structured into these small increments with one of those filling up every 3-5 seconds. at some point it stops and says failed to save error null.

so usually when this happens i instead make a save copy. for some reason this save then takes the 3 seconds it would take at the beginning of a play session. but this time it filled up then the game lagged and it gave the same error failed to save.

now i don't know what to do i'll just leave the game running and try again later. i'm not sure it will work though since the longer the game runs the more unreliable the save process seems to be. what if anything can i do about this? is the save system just problematic?

if you need any more information i'm happy to provide. this is one of my all time favorite games but this issue has been bothering me for a while and this wouldn't be the first time i loose progress because the game failed to save.

attached my log file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dcj4w1rlo4089cu/221220_starsector.zip?dl=0

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: failed to save game
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 09:30:10 AM »

Hi - from your prior posts, it sounds like you're playing with mods, so I moved the topic here. Also, I can't open the zipfile you've linked - rather, I can, but I'm not able to get the log out.

Regardless, the first thing to check would be whether you've increased the memory allocation for the game by editing the vmparams file; see here for details:
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8726.0

The symptoms you're describing sound like the game running out of memory, so it's probably got too many mods for the baseline memory allocation.

n3xuiz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 09:49:18 AM »

sry for posting into the wrong subforum. i am aware of the vmparams settings. currently i have it set at -Xms8192m -Xmx8192m -Xss1024k. i have 16GB of system RAM. do you think i should maybe set it higher?

as for the log file i packed it with 7zip and it indeed seems unextractable with the built-in windows zip. using 7zip i was able to extract it though. just in case i uploaded the file uncompressed at the link below.

also should i modify the -xss setting as this value seems very low compared to the others.

besides that the thread you linked talks about VRAM. i've a GTX 970 with 4GB VRAM. would you recommend i disable Settings "useLargeRipple", "loadSurface", "loadMaterial", and "use64BitBuffer" for my card?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6pky5x3k0kxvklf/221220_starsector.log?dl=0

at any rate thx for the quick answer!

Sandor057

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 10:45:46 AM »

Hey there,

I had/have the same issue. There are some topics already about it, but the gist of it would be what Alex wrote here:
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=15590.15

When saving, the game hands the graphics context off to another thread (so that it can render an updated progress bar while the main thread is saving - the actual saving *has* to be on the main thread), and then hands it back when done saving. I've gone over that code a number of times and am pretty sure (as sure as one can be with any code) that it's done correctly, but apparently it can still give some drivers trouble under some set of circumstances.

... but, you know what, just thought of a way to do the rendering on the main thread as well. <about an hour later> alright, that looks like it works, performs just about the same, and should hopefully bypass the issue. Unless, of course, it's crashing on save for *another* reason.

From my experience, you can do either of two things to stop the save issues from happening.

Firstly, you can decrease the amount of mods you run, though I realise this is not really a solution but rather a preventive measure.

Secondly, what did work for me so far is that after a busier period (lots of fights with different ships from mod factions and the like) you could make a detour to an empty system, let your system sort of cool down from all the action and then try and make the save after a few minutes. Usually does the trick for me and I've got an older (GTX 750 Ti) graphics card, than you.

Anyway, that's my two cents on the matter, hope it helps!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 10:52:43 AM »

Definitely don't change -xss, it's a different kind of thing entirely. 8 gigs should be fine, more could actually cause trouble, too. This might just mean, unfortunately, that there's too many mods and the game starts to creak...

Another thing to try would be disabling GraphicsLib through its .ini file (so that it's still enabled in the mod launcher, but doesn't increase system requirements). It *might* help, though that's not certain.

n3xuiz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2020, 11:47:25 PM »

thanks for the answers. i will try them out and see what works.