Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

Did you read the Writing Starsector blog post’s spoilers section?

Yes!
- 26 (56.5%)
No!
- 17 (37%)
Not at first, but after a while, I couldn’t resist!
- 3 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Voting closed: December 31, 2020, 02:35:18 PM

Author Topic: Poll: Did you read the Writing Starsector spoilers?  (Read 1607 times)

Chaos Farseer

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Poll: Did you read the Writing Starsector spoilers?
« on: December 17, 2020, 02:35:18 PM »

After seeing the blog post’s spoiler warning (and then the second spoiler warning), I decided to step away from the back of the curtain. For Alex and David’s amusement, how did everyone else respond?
No spoilers!

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Poll: Did you read the Writing Starsector spoilers?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 04:58:46 AM »

Stopped at the first one.

Seems logical to wait to read it post update, I rather not know how the systems work and find that out for myself. Not that I'm not starving for the update but it's not like reading that will make it come any faster. That said, I'm quite surprised that so much text is getting into this update, I wonder if it will change a little how the game feels and is played.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 05:45:49 AM »

Everything was so vague and inconsequential, I thought I missed the spoilers. Frankly, I still don't know what the spoilers are.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 05:50:31 AM »

Everything was so vague and inconsequential, I thought I missed the spoilers. Frankly, I still don't know what the spoilers are.
Yeah it wasn't the usual spoiler, more like a warning "hey, don't think too much about what you've just read".
Please don't take me too seriously.

Jonlissla

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 08:04:05 AM »

I felt the exact same thing. I gave it another quick look and I still don't see any spoilers.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 09:02:22 AM »

I felt the exact same thing. I gave it another quick look and I still don't see any spoilers.
Spoiler
"...some people are named Megas and want to optimize everything."
or maybe the part where its just not going to be a 4X game and Dave doesn't want everyone to flip out over that?
[close]

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 10:11:23 AM »

Alex has been pretty adamant in the past that Starsector isn't going to be a 4X, it's nothing new.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2020, 12:53:57 PM »

When I first saw that warning, I was expecting story spoilers (turns out I didn't read that paragraph well enough).  In the end, there was none of that, but it brought up some philosophical points about why the player should make certain choices in the game, i.e. "they're pixels, why do I care?" as well as the thought process behind the choices presented and how they tie into other game mechanics.  The spoilers behind the spoilers, one might say, the knowledge of which might steal some of the magic from playing the game for the first time.

Me?  I've already been spoiler'd a bit already from the knowledge of how our previous Red Planet mission worked, as well as a previous good guess as to what Story Points might do in mission dialogue (dialog?).  But it was nice to see David's ideas and experiences about the dialogue system, and how it compared to other games / RPGs.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

pairedeciseaux

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2020, 02:06:22 PM »

Of course I read the whole article yesterday late evening, even if it was time to go to sleep! ;D

There is no story spoiler in the article, only meta-spoilers, thought it is possible some readers didn't catch the meaning of David's wording.

Still, anyone wishing a pure spoiler-free experience should probably avoid reading blog posts and post-release forum discussions before playing first campaign, especially for those who value that unique first time experience (... especially when it comes to stories and RPG elements coming in next release).

Golde

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2020, 03:57:38 PM »

I read it to confirm my suspicion.

suspicion confirmed.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2020, 04:01:39 PM »

Of course I read the whole article yesterday late evening, even if it was time to go to sleep! ;D

There is no story spoiler in the article, only meta-spoilers, thought it is possible some readers didn't catch the meaning of David's wording.

Still, anyone wishing a pure spoiler-free experience should probably avoid reading blog posts and post-release forum discussions before playing first campaign, especially for those who value that unique first time experience (... especially when it comes to stories and RPG elements coming in next release).

I have successfully hyped myself to really want that unique first time experience, so I thank you and everyone else for not spoiling things outside of that thread (which I'm not reading :p). Thanks!