Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: [0.96a] Forge Production v1.1.3  (Read 132016 times)

Ontheheavens

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96a] Forge Production v1.1.3
« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2023, 06:16:32 AM »

Is there an additional requirement for activating a forge module besides installing the mod on a suitable ship?

I've tried installing them on several ships, but the hotbar ability always gives the 'no active forge module in fleet' message. Fleet is stationary, CR is full, repairs are not suspended, holds are full of heavy machinery.

I'm sure there's something obvious I'm missing.

Try entering and exiting the control panel of ability - Control+click. That should correctly refresh the module index if it wasn't updated after the hullmod install.

Malignantcookie

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2023, 10:09:09 AM »

Is there an additional requirement for activating a forge module besides installing the mod on a suitable ship?

I've tried installing them on several ships, but the hotbar ability always gives the 'no active forge module in fleet' message. Fleet is stationary, CR is full, repairs are not suspended, holds are full of heavy machinery.

I'm sure there's something obvious I'm missing.

It takes a a few seconds of the game being unpaused for the modules to update, I had the same problem. Just unpause the game and it should work?

Mephansteras

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Forge Production v1.1.2
« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2023, 06:13:51 AM »

2 Are you planning to introduce your own ships with integrated modifications? Fully flying factories that are designed only for the production and storage of manufactured

I'd love to - if I find a competent spriter who would be willing to draw something for me.

Way back in 2021 I had some ideas to do some of that with Stardust Ventures. Finally getting around to spriting up the capital ships to actually do that. Right now I have plans for an Ore Processing Ship, a Fuel Refinery Ship, and a Production Factory Ship (supplies/machinery). All dedicated civilian capitals for those particular tasks.

Assuming Ontheheavens is still cool with me integrating his mod into mine, anyway. My versions will probably be a little bit different, balance-wise, since you can just buy them instead of needing to go hunt down a mothership first, and I'd want people to still be able/have a reason to use Forge Production on other ships. Likely less efficient on processing but without the slow movement penalty.

In any case, once those are done I could probably provide modified versions of the sprites to Ontheheavens to use.

Fibroidauto

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2023, 12:31:55 AM »

Is there any way to switch the keybinding for opening the control panel, since I am on Mac and using Control + Left click doesn't work since it does a Right click(which is impossible to change on a Mac 10 since it's hardcoded or something)? Thank you if you are able to answer my question.

Ontheheavens

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 02, 2023, 12:52:00 AM »

Spoiler
2 Are you planning to introduce your own ships with integrated modifications? Fully flying factories that are designed only for the production and storage of manufactured

I'd love to - if I find a competent spriter who would be willing to draw something for me.
[close]

Way back in 2021 I had some ideas to do some of that with Stardust Ventures. Finally getting around to spriting up the capital ships to actually do that. Right now I have plans for an Ore Processing Ship, a Fuel Refinery Ship, and a Production Factory Ship (supplies/machinery). All dedicated civilian capitals for those particular tasks.

Assuming Ontheheavens is still cool with me integrating his mod into mine, anyway. My versions will probably be a little bit different, balance-wise, since you can just buy them instead of needing to go hunt down a mothership first, and I'd want people to still be able/have a reason to use Forge Production on other ships. Likely less efficient on processing but without the slow movement penalty.

In any case, once those are done I could probably provide modified versions of the sprites to Ontheheavens to use.

Yes, you have my permission to do whatever you desire with the content - however, I don't take responsibility to maintain/fix any forked versions.  :)

Is there any way to switch the keybinding for opening the control panel, since I am on Mac and using Control + Left click doesn't work since it does a Right click(which is impossible to change on a Mac 10 since it's hardcoded or something)? Thank you if you are able to answer my question.

I believe another man in this thread was having the same problem, he solved it like this:

Spoiler
This is likely only Mac-related, but left control does not work to open the menu.  I also tried the command and option keys, which sometimes work in place of control.
I was able to re-assign the key to an arbitrary key (J) in the config settings for the mod, which solved my issue.

I figure I'm in the minority playing StarSector on a Mac, so I'm also posting this in case someone else encounters this.

I'm enjoying the mod!
[close]

Mephansteras

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 02, 2023, 07:47:09 AM »

Yes, you have my permission to do whatever you desire with the content - however, I don't take responsibility to maintain/fix any forked versions.  :)

Very reasonable!

Now I just need to actually finish this sprite...

Zavek00

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2023, 06:48:59 AM »

First of thank you for a great mod that makes heavy machinery have a purpose in getting grinded up while making supplies for the fleet.
I am also very pleased with the hull manufacturing on the fly using salvage rigs as makeshift yards, however apparantly you have to use the ship to do it and not a ship with the salvage gantry.

Either way i have a query and perhaps suggestion to go along with this mobile manufacturing.
What if we could also refurbish vessels with that same system, What if we can remove Dmods with the same system mechanics?
Sure there is a skill for this but it feels quite cheaty tbh compared to having a logistics section in your fleet set up to manage this task and then requiring resources+time.

Thank you for your time.

Ontheheavens

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2023, 06:26:04 AM »

First of thank you for a great mod that makes heavy machinery have a purpose in getting grinded up while making supplies for the fleet.
I am also very pleased with the hull manufacturing on the fly using salvage rigs as makeshift yards, however apparantly you have to use the ship to do it and not a ship with the salvage gantry.

Thank you for the kind words!

Either way i have a query and perhaps suggestion to go along with this mobile manufacturing.
What if we could also refurbish vessels with that same system, What if we can remove Dmods with the same system mechanics?
Sure there is a skill for this but it feels quite cheaty tbh compared to having a logistics section in your fleet set up to manage this task and then requiring resources+time.

Thank you for your time.

That is a very comprehensive suggestion and I would definitely consider implementing it in more favorable circumstances. However, real-life affairs and financial circumstance for me have developed in such a way that modding leisure is hardly a possibility right now. In other words, the project is more or less in a maintenance mode - I just do not have time and energy to spend development time on any new features. I hope you'll understand.

krisht

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Forge Production v1.1.0
« Reply #98 on: November 01, 2023, 08:07:50 AM »

I’m not sure if this is a config already but is it possible to have a config that gives the campaign abilities at the start of a save?

I play with UNGP and I like having access to all my hullmods/bps so I would love to be able to use the forge production stuff early on where it’s most useful as I feel by the time you get it, it’s not really super worth as you prob already have a fleet built up beyond maybe making supplies. (Might just be me tho)

Also, is it possible to add design types to the list of ships buildable with the hullmods?

First of all! Thank you so much for making this mod Ontheheavens!

Although I do second this feature as an options for the players! I'm trying to roleplay as a miners and I'll be honest. Those mining hazards just keep draining the supplies and the heavy machine and honestly.. Mining is truly losing it values over any other jobs out there like trading and smuggling  :'(

I think it will be nice to have it as an options. Thus it wouldn't separate the people liking this mods!

BFEL

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2023, 01:48:31 AM »

Love the mod!

Couple things though.

First off, as Zavek pointed out, to build ships you need a Salvage Rig, not a ship with Salvage Gantries. This is a bit dumb, and also it's unclear in the interface why you can't build ships, it just says "no active rig" which I sort of guessed at, but headed here to ask about.
It should be more clear what you need for that.

Other problem I have is that the three production types can't be put on one ship. While I can see the intention is balancing, mostly this just promotes grabbing every cruiser or larger ship I can solely to fill production quotas. And even if I could throw all three on one ship, there are very few that would be able to fit all three in OP wise and still be viable at their intended job. The CR penalties stacking would quickly make a combat ship with all three pointless, and since the most likely fit for these mods is logistics ships to begin with, I don't really see any real reason to keep it mutually exclusive.

Might want to make the CR/crew penalties get a bit worse as you add the other two, but would love to be able to centralize my forging a bit.

twetyy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2024, 01:07:16 PM »

Just some feedback on default values.
Play trough: Unlocked at start* + bypass ship building size, mine asteroids, produce fuel/supplies to survive, and build own ships with hull parts.

The default values are awful, mining asteroids/planets/fighting eats supplies/heavy machinery the same amount as you produce you basically never overproduce and constantly have to mine and move slowly to crate supplies as you fly to mine more.
But i could assign making hull parts like 10-15% of time to expand my fleet. I made civilian Ventures.

Once you get nanoforges and other parts it get's better, but you also at that time have Onslaughts or Legions or other capitals that have trash Maitenance and using those with hullmods burn more than they produce.
With having 6ships:1fuel production,2supply/heavyMachiery,3ore/transplutonic, corrupted nano forge etc... all special items in inventory it was like 10x worse time investment then doing a mission and buying supplies.
And not only is it 10x worse time invested to gains. It also costs 40OP and reduces 15% Max readiness

Summary:
1:Costs 20/40 OP and -15%Combat readiness
2:Spending ALL the time in manufacturing stance.
3:Even with all the special items it's a waste of time.

Suggested solutions:
1 and 2: Make a tiny manufactory module, that costs 0% combat readiness and 10-20OP but has current default ratios. And make BULK manufactory that costs 15% 20-40 OP and has like 2.5x production of current defaults.
3:For special playtrough it's fine, as a miner, self sufficient derelict roleplaying. But in default game it has no place, costs way too much in OP, combat readiness and produces WAY TOO SLOW.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]