Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Can you add a toggle to stop auto-hiding UI elements?  (Read 1096 times)

Klokinator

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Can you add a toggle to stop auto-hiding UI elements?
« on: December 04, 2020, 02:22:33 AM »

Right now, the game does this one really annoying thing I don't like.

This is what the UI normally looks like.

This is what the UI looks like when you're flying around.

It hides the personnel, the crew, the marines, and the cargo hold. You can see it if you open up the inventory or something, but still. I don't ever want it hidden, yet when I asked on the discord I found that the UI elements are hardcoded so I can't even mod this change in.

Can you add some sort of a toggle so this bit of the UI doesn't auto-hide? Many thanks!

pairedeciseaux

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Can you add a toggle to stop auto-hiding UI elements?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 12:56:30 PM »

I would even expand the suggestion as such: allow 3 modes where the player can manually cycle through using a keyboard shortcut,
  • (existing) full UI
  • (existing) small UI
  • (new when flying) no UI

I understand the existing automatic behaviour is here to free precious screen estate on low resolution screen. Letting players choose how much UI they want could be a "simple" way so satisfy everybody.

---

Also, another place/situation where I find this annoying: go to a planet, enter the "Establish colony" menu ... the bottom left UI disappear ... then you don't have a clear view on your crew situation anymore. The strange thing is, the game tells this is the "Crew/Cargo (I)" tab but that's not really the case. If you switch to the "Fleet" tab, then bottom left UI comes back. Going back to the false "Crew/Cargo (I)" tab lets you then proceed or not with the colony business.

Summary:
  • having the bottom left UI disappear when you might need it to establish a colony is unfortunate, suggestion: keep the full bottom left UI visible in that view? or let the user change UI mode as suggested above? or expand the information displayed in the "establish a colony" view to include the minimum crew requirement for your fleet
  • having a "establish a colony" view inside a "Crew/Cargo (I)" tab is needlessly confusing, suggestion: transform the "Refit" tab into a temporary "New Colony (R)" tab
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 01:00:06 PM by pairedeciseaux »