Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Carrier AI Override Hullmods and Mining Drones  (Read 701 times)

onewhosaysgoose

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Carrier AI Override Hullmods and Mining Drones
« on: December 04, 2020, 01:34:15 PM »

Add 2 hullmods with a 0 cost, applicable to any ship with fighters equipped.

1) Combat Carrier Dogma: The AI will treat this ship as a combat carrier, overriding its normal designation and equipped missile/pd weapons.

2) Air Support Dogma: The AI will treat this ship as a non-combat carrier, hanging back despite its hull's affinity for close support.

If a non-combat carrier is equipped with a full suite of range-0 fighters, then it will act as a "External PD Carrier". The carrier will treat itself as a warship, and treat its mining drones as a point defense weapon. This could be coded as a variant behavior of combat carrier AI, but currently I have seen Legions waddling around trying to launch strikes with their fighters

Place an indication of a carrier's status (Combat vs Non-Combat) somewhere on both the Refit and Fleet->More Info screens.

Scorpixel

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Carrier AI Override Hullmods and Mining Drones
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 06:49:02 PM »

Excellent proposition. Battlecarriers would stop being shy and be more viable in hands other than the player's.

As for anyone who is aware of how ship AI behaviour function/is encoded, would it require to (if possible) swap the carrier AI with a combat ship one? Or is this much more complicated of a request to put in the works?

ubuntufreakdragon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 06:54:55 PM »

Should be a thing to non carriers, too.
e.g. Conquest: long range; boardside right
Paragon: Tank; frontal

doesn't need to be a hullmod, could be a setting like weapon groups are.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 09:01:54 PM »

That's actually not enough to prevent carriers from approaching enemy ships in some cases: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=18897.0

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 06:26:58 AM »

The one ship I really want carrier AI but does not have - Gryphon!  I get tired of that ship being the first casualty in every fight because it insists on driving too close to the frontline instead of hanging back and lobbing Squalls or MIRVs like a pseudo-carrier.  I do not want to waste on officer slot (Cautious or Timid with warship skills for a single ship type) just to correct deviant behavior.

On the other side, I would like Legion to stop hanging back and start brawling like a warship when built for brawling.