Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Massive problems with fleet deployment  (Read 3813 times)

Zelnik

• Commander
    • View Profile
Massive problems with fleet deployment
« on: December 01, 2020, 11:27:45 AM »

So i went into a battle and found I could only field 100 points worth of ships, while the enemy fielded easily between 300-400 points of ships.

Why am I restricted to  two and four  vessels while the enemy can literally fill the map with ships? This problem has persisted with or without mods to boot.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Massive problems with fleet deployment
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 11:34:43 AM »

What your fleet deployment number set at in settings?
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Zelnik

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 11:37:56 AM »

It was set at the default 300, but it doesn't explain why I could deploy 100 points of ships and the enemy deploy 5000.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 11:40:43 AM »

They can't deploy 5000 unless a mod has changed it.

I'm guessing your fleet is outnumbered on the map screen? If the enemy fleet has more deployment points then yours they get a greater share of the total deployment point pool then you. But also note some ships like luddic path and pirate ships are cheaper then other types of ship, which lets them deploy more of them in battle because they are generally inferior in quality.

Who are you fighting?

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 11:42:58 AM »

Deployment is scaled based on the relative fleet sizes. Up to 50%. So if the base is 300 (150 each) and you’re heavily outnumbered they can deploy up to 200 while you will be limited to 100. This is a cap though, you cannot be outnumbered more than 2 to 1 on the combat map unless you fail to deploy your max

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 12:05:11 PM »

Are you fighting with a station on your side?

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 12:09:12 PM »

Goumindong is correct. Plus, the enemy regains deployment points as you destroy their fleet.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 12:16:26 PM »

Deployment is scaled based on the relative fleet sizes. Up to 50%. So if the base is 300 (150 each) and you’re heavily outnumbered they can deploy up to 200 while you will be limited to 100. This is a cap though, you cannot be outnumbered more than 2 to 1 on the combat map unless you fail to deploy your max

Minor correction: it'd be 120 to 180.

Zelnik

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2020, 12:30:47 PM »

This is stupid. Why is there some magic barrier keeping the rest of my ships from entering the battle?  Especially when -I- am going to -THEM- for the fight!! THIS MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 12:53:32 PM »

I think it's a performance thing really.

That and a reason to not just play with 30 capital ships.

Zelnik

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 12:55:03 PM »

So the argument is "Don't use your money, don't build big, don't keep those cool ships that you found drifting, ONLY PLAY WITH TINY STUFF BECAUSE OTHERWISE YOU WON'T GET TO USE THEM!"

Sounds like this part of the game was designed for a Cuban dictator.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 12:56:38 PM »

What battle size do you play on? You can increase battle size in the settings quite a bit, and more in the config file if you really want to.

Zelnik

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2020, 12:58:12 PM »

I was playing at 300, didn't even know the setting was there. Hopefully now it won't be as bad.

Scorpixel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2020, 02:06:08 PM »

This is stupid. Why is there some magic barrier keeping the rest of my ships from entering the battle?  Especially when -I- am going to -THEM- for the fight!! THIS MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL.
Turn the "problem" around:
Why is there some magic barrier keeping the rest of their ships from entering battle? Especially when the player is going to -THEM- for the fight!! THIS MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL.

Three reasons:
-Battles aren't fair, it's not everyone waiting for their turn in a line to fight another ship like in Pokémon.
-Balance, the battlefield isn't that large, and some ship doctrines would greatly benefit from covering a larger part of it, extending the battle line and reducing flanking opportunities. It also limit the dominance of high DP vessels, as it would be a no brainer to have full capital as long as ship limit based on number is a thing.
-Performance, battle size can be changed so that bigger fleets can clash in greater shares of their forces at the same time

If you get to deploy two more ships, the enemy gets three, AND it is technically unfair to the biggest of the two when greatly outnumbering the enemy, as there is a limit to deployment (dis)advantage, as explained above.
Would you complain if you were to engage a pitiful enemy fleet and got to send more ships than them?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 02:10:33 PM by Scorpixel »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2020, 02:48:48 PM »

The main reasons for battlesize are performance (even if you can run 50 vs 50 ship battles, not everyone else can) and the scale (at some point, the battle gets so huge that your personal impact is minimal. Great for some, less so for others), as far as I know. I think SS could get away with a bigger default battlesize, since players are more likely to notice low FPS in battles and check out options to remedy that, than think that they might be able to deploy more ships if they change game settings.
Pages: [1] 2