Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Quick question: Does Advanced optics increase ALL energy weapon range?  (Read 5305 times)

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Quick question: Does Advanced optics increase ALL energy weapon range?
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2020, 09:07:55 AM »

It’s an Apogee... one of slower cruisers in the game. Faster only than the dominator and mora. One of which can reinforce the Apogee much faster than the other way around.  It is the line.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2020, 09:31:33 AM »

It’s an Apogee... one of slower cruisers in the game. Faster only than the dominator and mora. One of which can reinforce the Apogee much faster than the other way around.  It is the line.
What about all of the capital ships in the game? And yeah, we are talking about an edge case. The fact that the apogee is usually in the middle of your fleet because it is slow is a further reason why I don't care about spending OP and flux to deal with flankers. If it did get isolated by some AI misplay, I would want it to get un-isolated, not slug it out.

Seriously, why are will we still talking about this? I've already made it clear why I do what I do, and it works well, there's no problems I feel the need to fix. You're free to do whatever you want and I'm sure it works well too.

Maeleth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2020, 09:56:01 AM »

What about all of the capital ships in the game?

They're also faster than Apogee, at least in one direction. Except for the obvious Paragon, a-and also Astral, with which you'd probably never want to reinforce anything.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2020, 10:08:05 AM »

I wouldn't use HB's for anti fighter on an Apogee... they miss too much. Pulse lasers perform better in practice, regardless of costing much less flux, and will keep frigates off the sides and rear. Phase lances are better anti-fighter but worse at clearing flanks.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2020, 10:11:13 AM »

Well I seem to be a minority here but in my experience I've found Phase lances to be an excellent anti-fighter (also anti-frigate) weapon. Yeah the AI isn't the best with them and they generate a lot of flux but they'll pop anything coming their way. Pulse lasers are also fine if you don't have them, but HBs in those mounts? That's nuts, first time I've ever heard of such a thing.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2020, 10:22:26 AM »

Yeah a heavy blaster is half way to being a plasma cannon. Way too hot for that kinda work.

If PD is really essential you'd be better off putting a hanger on one and sticking some interceptors/drones for defence.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2020, 10:27:02 AM »

Apogee... one of slower cruisers in the game. Faster only than the dominator and mora.
Poor Venture. Demoted out of Cruisers.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2020, 11:03:31 AM »

Well I seem to be a minority here but in my experience I've found Phase lances to be an excellent anti-fighter (also anti-frigate) weapon. Yeah the AI isn't the best with them and they generate a lot of flux but they'll pop anything coming their way. Pulse lasers are also fine if you don't have them, but HBs in those mounts? That's nuts, first time I've ever heard of such a thing.

I'm with you, I love phase lances for anti-fighter! When I can get more than 1 in an arc I like them for anti-frigate too, but I feel like just 1 isn't enough to get through shields and the Apogee doesn't have many options for other damage sources to its sides.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2020, 11:31:40 AM »

Phase lance low rate of fire is definitely a downside for anti-fighter. You kill the first one or two and then just wait. Maybe the player can finesse some lineups but the AI definitely isn't doing that, and the AI also loves to just fire phase lance into good shields and put itself in a bad flux situation. I do like phase lances on player ships though, but I find I really want extra capacity to make the flux spike more palatable and it's hard to fit that in with everything else. I wish they were like 10% more efficient.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2020, 11:36:00 AM »

The refire rate is not much of an issue. It does it’s dps and it’s dps is decent. (And it doesn’t miss) It’s why I suggested them in my first post.

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2020, 12:24:55 PM »

Phase Lance is good at killing small numbers of heavily-armored fighters, like Warthogs and Broadswords, or the various mod superfighters.  It is significantly less good at killing larger numbers of weak fighters.  In that case, a gun that fires slower than the carrier can replace fighters is not particularly useful.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2020, 12:43:04 PM »

6 seconds between shots is not an issue? The burst of damage (1250) is huge overkill on most fighters so you're actually not doing anywhere near full DPS if you don't hit more than one fighter, especially if you're facing the more numerous wings of fighters (Retry is spot on IMO). The biggest problem scenario for phase lance is sparks that appear in the hardest fights in the game in wings of 5.

The player can mitigate some of this by lining up fighters to kill more than one per shot sometimes (on maneuverable ships that can kite), but it's still definitely a downside in AI hands. You're also definitely not hitting more than one fighter per shot consistently unless you manually target which is impractical for non-overlapping rear-facing mounts on the apogee. I use phase lance primarily as an anti armor/hull weapon that can be useful for shooting down bigger fighters occasionally. I don't think it's particularly close to good enough at anti-fighter to be used purely for auto-fire anti-fighter in rear mounts. That's my personal opinion, and you're free to disagree, but there's at least logic behind it.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2020, 03:57:43 AM »

A 6 second cooldown for blasting away a heavy fighter works out okay. A 6 second cooldown for popping a spark interceptor is less so.

There are a wide range of strike craft and I don't think any single weapon is meant to be a 1 stop shop for countering everything that comes out of a hangar. Except for Locusts, nothing can survive the swarm.
Pages: 1 2 [3]